Author Topic: First Brisket  (Read 1919 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
First Brisket
« Reply #-1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »
I will be smoking my first brisket on Friday (9/26).  Any tips advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

My Plan:  Trim down the fat, but save it for if I wrap to recover the flat to help add more moisture and flavor.  Rub it down (Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder) and let sit uncovered in fridge for 12 hours.  Low and slow fat side up starting at 5am with a mix of oak and black cherry.  If I wrap use the trimmed fat, a little beef stock, and a splash of red wine.

Since I don't know what a good finished brisket feels like I am going to try and get it up to 198-203F internal temp before letting rest (wrapping if not wrapped already) for a few hours.  Should I put it in a cooler or oven (not on or hot) while resting?

That's my plan.

Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First Brisket
« on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
I don't trim my briskies too much, but if you do, leave at least 1/4 inch. To test your brisket to see if it is done, slip a toothpick in it. If it pulls out smooth and clean ya got a winner. Temp is only a guideline cause there are always different variables involved. I like to rest my briskets for a couple of hours after removing from the pit. A couple wraps of hd aluminuminumin  ???  foil and a heavy towel is what I use.

When I am feeling rowdy I will toss in a 1/2 beer with onion, jalapeno and halfed apricots to the foil before I wrap for the two hour hold.

There are many different ways to do a briskie and you will hear about them shortly   ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
My $0.02.  A couple of questions...  What are you cooking on, and what temp does your cooker like to live at?  Your fat cap should be towards the fire.  Get rid of the hard fat, but leave 1/4" to 1/3" of the actual cap.  Don't worry about trying to cook at too low of a temp, but be aware that unless you are cooking at a very low temp (225 or so) your brisket will almost definitely not be done at 198-203.  Somewhere north of 210 is typical of a hot and fast brisket.  Either way, temp is just a gauge to let you know when to start checking the feel.  When a probe goes into the thickest part of the flat like it goes into room temp butter you are done.  As for wrapping, it depends on the cooker's moisture level IMO.  I like to go unwrapped for the most part, but when I do wrap, I do not include any liquid.  There is still plenty left in the meat to self baste when you wrap.  Butcher paper is my wrap of choice.  It speeds up the cook less than foil but leaves a far better bark.  Wrap when the color looks right (165-170 degrees normally).  As for rub and such, try to work one step at a time instead of trying to figure it all out at once and having no idea what is working and what is not.  Salt and pepper (maybe some garlic and onion) to start with no injection.  Only inject if going for a specific flavor profile as it actually hurts the cooking process by forcing more time to reduce liquid.  I find no advantage to rubbing the night before.  I like to rub while the cooker is coming up to temp.  A mustard base is fine as is a Worcestershire base or even a very thin mayo base.  Resting and holding are two different methods.  If you will be eating within 2 hours of finish, I prefer to leave wrapped in butcher paper on the counter until ready to start slicing.  If you need to hold longer, go with FTC - Foil, towel, cooler.  Do not slice more than you are ready to serve.  I think that is everything I have for now.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
I typically do not trim a brisket...and I look for one that has a good fat can all over the top if  possible. I will put a pan under it on the shelfbbelow to catch the dripping for later use if desired....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
Agree on most points--have found it doesn't seem to make a big difference rubbed the night before or same day as cooking.   Also generally smoke more to color than even temp, although there is a strong correlation, IMHO.    Double wrap in HD foil, normally with no extra liquid and put in 200 degree oven til temp gets right at 210 to 220.  Let it rest for a LONG time, at LEAST one hour.   Seems to make it tender and juicy--slice n serve, although sometimes it ends up falling apart rather than sliced   OK by me!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
Can't wait to see your pictures of the brisket in the various stage of prep and cooking.  We do love our pictures here on LTBBQ.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »
I agree with Art, let's see plenty of pictures of the progress, we all learn from each other here and pictures do help.  ;)

Good luck with the brisket can't wait to see how it turned out.  :D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
I will be using an offset that likes to sit at 235-250.  I usually add a bowl of water to the chamber.  The rub the night before uncovered is what they do for prime ribs at the CC I work part time, and it usually has a nice bark to it so I figured I'd apply the same logic.  Since there is no need for overnight rub I'll rest up and go to bed early.

I will definitely be taking pictures, but it is good to know I'm moving int he right direction. Thanks and stay tuned.

PS- I know it is only Tuesday, but I know work is going to start getting crazier the next 2 days so I wanted to post this in advance to give me time to review.  Also I am really excited to tackle this bad boy! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
I will be using an offset that likes to sit at 235-250.  I usually add a bowl of water to the chamber.  The rub the night before uncovered is what they do for prime ribs at the CC I work part time, and it usually has a nice bark to it so I figured I'd apply the same logic.  Since there is no need for overnight rub I'll rest up and go to bed early.

I will definitely be taking pictures, but it is good to know I'm moving int he right direction. Thanks and stay tuned.

PS- I know it is only Tuesday, but I know work is going to start getting crazier the next 2 days so I wanted to post this in advance to give me time to review.  Also I am really excited to tackle this bad boy! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good planning on your part, brisket can be a tricky cut of meat to get it right.  I'm doing one, a flat, on my WSM right now, I'll be posting pictures later when it's done.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »
Good luck, and it is never too early to ask questions.  I have cooked more briskets than I can count, and no two of them cook the same even with identical methodology.  As I mentioned, knowing when it is done is the most important thing.  There is nothing worse than under-cooked brisket.  Overcooked will crumble but still be edible.  More marbling means faster cook time, but it does not always correlate to meat grade since the brisket is not the part being graded.  Some selects cook better than choices and even primes.  Our failures make delicious chili, BTW.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

First Brisket
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
Good luck. My only brisket sucked. Need to grow a pair and try again. 8)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »

Hahahaha you and me both !  ;D ;D
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »

Grab a pair off a bull and make some Rocky Mountain Oysters with that brisket.

----------------------

Offline robertwhite

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »

Don't feel bad. Brisket is the only thing I have never had any luck with. Tried it 3 times I believe and at the cost of brisket today, it will be quite some time before I try it again.  ;D

To the OP......Wishing you luck
Little bit of talkin', lotta bit of listen'

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
Lots of ways to skin a cat!
When cooking something new I try somewhat follow a recipe the first time.
Hub has posted his basic brisket cook & it's an excellent starting place.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=617.0
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp