Author Topic: Installed my new Blazn Grill PID on my traeger texas today!!!  (Read 11913 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Installed my new Blazn Grill PID on my traeger texas today!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
Nice color on the ribs okie!!! I think I will install one on my Traeger 07E or I may get one from Sawmill grills for $44. With it I would have to build or buy an enclosure. Don

I did find this link to sawtooth which I think is about the same PID as the Blaz n grill.

http://www.sawtoothpelletgrills.com/digital-controller

This one is about $175 though.   
Okie this is the one I looked at for $44 and didn't look close enough. it is not digital. What did you pay for yours?
I wrote Blazn Grill but hey did not give me a price. Don

Don I don't think that Blazn would endorse using this controller for a Traeger because it is designed and programmed to work with their grill specifically. So if you asked them if it will work on your Traeger I understand why they did not respond. I am sure they like the fact that people will buy this controller to use with their Traegers because that equals more revenue but they probably don't want to be held liable in any way if something happens.

The Blazn controller is plug and play with a Traeger because the wiring and connectors are both the same. If you go with a controller that is for a pellet grill that does not use a Ortech controller then wiring modifications will be required.

Even though the programming profile and parameters for the Blazn controller are for a Blazn grill the controller is a PID and adapts instantly to any changes it detects. In other words it is smart and learns your cooker and the way it reacts. As long as the initial parameters are close for normal operation the PID takes over from there.

I actually know how to get into the parameter settings on that controller. I found out by accident. But I don't know what most of the settings are for. I know the high and low temp limit settings. These settings are different for different models if that controller and are determined by the manufacturer of the pellet grill.

This controller looks like a nice option for Traeger owners!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »

Don I don't think that Blazn would endorse using this controller for a Traeger because it is designed and programmed to work with their grill specifically. So if you asked them if it will work on your Traeger I understand why they did not respond. I am sure they like the fact that people will buy this controller to use with their Traegers because that equals more revenue but they probably don't want to be held liable in any way if something happens.

The Blazn controller is plug and play with a Traeger because the wiring and connectors are both the same. If you go with a controller that is for a pellet grill that does not use a Ortech controller then wiring modifications will be required.

Even though the programming profile and parameters for the Blazn controller are for a Blazn grill the controller is a PID and adapts instantly to any changes it detects. In other words it is smart and learns your cooker and the way it reacts. As long as the initial parameters are close for normal operation the PID takes over from there.

I actually know how to get into the parameter settings on that controller. I found out by accident. But I don't know what most of the settings are for. I know the high and low temp limit settings. These settings are different for different models if that controller and are determined by the manufacturer of the pellet grill.

This controller looks like a nice option for Traeger owners!
Thanks a lot muebe for the info, I figured they would not support the controller for the Traeger but your other info was helpful, thanks! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
It's been about a year since this topic was last posted....so did anyone get a Blazn Grill or Sawtooth PID?

If so, how are you liking them?
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
I think HighOn Smoke upgraded his controller...Maybe he will comment on this - or send him a PM...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
I upgraded mine right after they came out.  I had a couple of minor problems with it for awhile but that was my fault for
messing with the "secret" settings. I put it back to factory default and it stays within 5-10 degrees of what my Maverick reads at
grill level. Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:30 AM »
High on smoke...mine is more like 25 degrees difference from rtd to grate level but it stays rock steady on temp.

The meat probe was a very nice addition.

w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
High on smoke...mine is more like 25 degrees difference from rtd to grate level but it stays rock steady on temp.

I use firebricks in my Grid Iron and also have the downdraft hood that keeps the temps fairly even across the board.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:49 AM »

I use firebricks in my Grid Iron and also have the downdraft hood that keeps the temps fairly even across the board.

I have the DD hood and it has helped with smoke output as well as evening temps out along the grate.  I tried fire bricks but at higher end temps it seems to screw up the temps.  I have lined the lid with thermal rope and have ordered a traeger thermal blanket.  Don't expect it to change my grate differential from the rtd, though.  My dome thermometer is actually pretty close to my maverick grate thermometer so I just think my rtd is off.   
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner