Author Topic: i lost my Pops last Thursday night  (Read 10000 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: i lost my Pops last Thursday night
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
I would like to take this chance to thank each and everyone of you for all your kind thoughts. I have read them over and over and your responses have brought me some peace and comfort in this very difficult time.

Got to get back to the patio and Que.....Mom and Dad wouldn't have it any other way..........

which reminds me:

My Dad loves the Portable Kitchen aluminum grill that my neighbor has. We were gonna get him one cause he really liked the retro look. If anyone knows of one that might be for sale before I grab a new one, I would really appreciate it, gotta still get the grill for Pops..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Smoke - I just saw this. My heart breaks for you. You and your bride are in my prayers.

I am going out to ND to spend Thanksgiving with my Dad - he has basically quit living since my mom died. I empathize with your loss.

I wish you the best and thank you for your comments as I deal with my own demons.

I look forward to trading some great recipes with you soon!

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Oh Smoke, what a blow...  You guys will be in our thoughts/prayers as you're grieving. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Smoke - I just saw this. My heart breaks for you. You and your bride are in my prayers.

I am going out to ND to spend Thanksgiving with my Dad - he has basically quit living since my mom died. I empathize with your loss.

I wish you the best and thank you for your comments as I deal with my own demons.

D

I wish you all the best David. My Dad's heart was broken and he just did not have the will or strength or desire to fight his illness. It is going to be a very quiet Holiday Season around my house this year....mostly reflecting on happier times..that will be my gift to myself this year........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
Sorry for your loss.  You will be in our prayers at out turkey table.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

D

Smoke, my thoughts and prayers are with you now and for this season. Christmas has been hard for me for many years. But I found a new song that is my Christmas song. I hope this means something to you as well.

http://fascinately.com/feel-good/2014/11/incredible-performance-of-mary-did-you-know-will-get-you-in-christmas-spirit/

My very best to you,

David

I wish you all the best David. My Dad's heart was broken and he just did not have the will or strength or desire to fight his illness. It is going to be a very quiet Holiday Season around my house this year....mostly reflecting on happier times..that will be my gift to myself this year........
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
One of the things Smoke posted I think we need to look at very closely.  If you have a loved one that is getting on up in years and you want to do something for them they you think they will like, such as the grill Smoke mentioned,  don't wait for a special time such as Christmas or birthday.  Do it now! They may not be around for that special time.  Afterall, we give because we think the loved one deserves and would  like/enjoy whatever it is and just use the special occasion as the time to do it. To someone of our loved ones...just the sun coming up today is a special occasion.

Love them while they are here.
  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
One of the things Smoke posted I think we need to look at very closely.  If you have a loved one that is getting on up in years and you want to do something for them they you think they will like, such as the grill Smoke mentioned,  don't wait for a special time such as Christmas or birthday.  Do it now! They may not be around for that special time.  Afterall, we give because we think the loved one deserves and would  like/enjoy whatever it is and just use the special occasion as the time to do it. To someone of our loved ones...just the sun coming up today is a special occasion.

Love them while they are here.
  Dee

Thank you for that observation, Dee. You are so right.

Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
You are so right Dee. I lost my wife after she battled cancer for over 6 years. We had plenty of time to say goodbye and while it was extremely hard, there was nothing left unsaid. I lost my Mom almost 2 years later and that was a phone call telling me she was killed in a boating accident. I did not get to say goodbye or to prepare. My Dad is 95 and living in the VA nursing home. The dementia has taken him away a little bit at a time over the last several years. He doesn't know who I am anymore and most days doesn't know where he is or why. Even though my Dad is not really still in that shell I dread the day I lose him  forever.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline hikerman

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
There is no easy goodbye to those we love. The shock of the first loved one to pass is terrible, but it does not ever get easier. Tell the people that you love, that you love them, often, it may be your last opportunity!

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
Smoke you got my deepest sympathy.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
There is no easy goodbye to those we love. The shock of the first loved one to pass is terrible, but it does not ever get easier. Tell the people that you love, that you love them, often, it may be your last opportunity!

Gene, you are so right. I have had the experience of the instant death - a suicide and the lingering death - my mom with leukemia... neither are good or easy... I pray for everyone facing this.
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 06:16:23 PM »
Smoke, I am so sorry for your loss.  My parents have just turned 80 and I am so worried that when one of them passes, my family will go through exactly what your family is now going through.

I will keep all of you in my prayers.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
We had a double funeral yesterday for Pops and Mama. It was a nice simple service and we had a nice reception at my brothers house. My Pops to remaining brothers were there. My Dad was the youngest of all the boys and the two remaining is 92 and 89 years of age. Looks like old smoke comes from good stock.

Driving back to the mountain yesterday I observed I didn't feel near as bad as I thought I would. It was nice to see long lost family members and I got to talk to my older sister for the first time (Pops had her before he met our Mama).

Below is a link to a photo my sister in law took at the ceremony

I guess you can mourn and heal at the same time.............

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205031209279372&set=a.4651789532188.2188891.1216740183&type=1&theater
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »
As sad as funeral services can be there is comfort in family and friends getting together and remembering all the good things and good times. It does help ease the pain.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware