Author Topic: Our Thanksgiving 2014  (Read 664 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Our Thanksgiving 2014
« Reply #-1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:47:50 AM »
Nov 25 2014

It is getting into winter now and our first winter holiday is near. We used to try to celebrate the holidays with both the wife’s and my parents. That meant getting the kids around and any food we were taking. Our parents are gone now except for my 93 year old Mother and she still live sat home but don’t celebrate much anymore. We went through having the family’s gathering here for a long time.

For the first time we are going to our Son and daughter in laws for Thanksgiving. Our daughter is coming to stay for the week-end so all our immediate family will be here. The wife and I are both 72 now and it’s kind of a relief to not have to host the party! Every year now it’s a little harder to get in the holiday spirit! I am on meds for a ruptured disc and waiting to have an operation on Dec. 15th so I can’t do as much work as usual.

Today it was a brisk 35 deg. and a little windy. The wife was going through the task of getting all her Christmas decorations carried in and put out. Our son helped carry some of the stuff in. The grandson stayed and helped me pick up the leaves on the back patio. Three days ago I had them cleaned up then we had two days of strong winds and it blew more back in.

We got all the leaves picked up and I spent the rest of the afternoon making some treats for the holidays. For the last few years I have been smoking pistachios in the shell. A little smoke and seasoning makes them a little bit better. I found a recipe for some pretzel and nut mix that sounded good so I made a batch of those. They are done in the oven and coated with a sweet and spicy chocolate mix. They turned out pretty well even though I had to improvise on some of the spices.

I have the pistachios down pretty well now; mix a tablespoon of melted butter with a tablespoon of olive oil per pound of nuts and stir to coat. Then add any seasoning you like to cover and smoke, 180 deg., for 1 ½ to two hours. We like Penzey’s Sandwich sprinkle which is a salt, garlic and herb blend.

Today I smoked 2 pounds of the pistachios that are on the hot side and will do 2 more pounds tomorrow that are mild. Our daughter from the Chicago area will be here tomorrow. All I have to do for Thanksgiving Day is to heat up about 3 lbs. of smoked ham and make a batch of calico beans in the crockpot. Our daughter in law is making some turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy. Her parents will be there too and bringing side dishes.

I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving! I will be glad when my belly is full of good food and it’s all over!

Link to pretzel recipe https://food52.com/recipes/8370-sweet-and-spicy-pretzel-and-nut-mix

Pretzel Nut Mix

Pistachios

Hot ver. Smoked pistachios http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11855.0

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:26:10 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Our Thanksgiving 2014
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving Don.  That looks great.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Our Thanksgiving 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
Looks great sir!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »
Those look great Don, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving Don!   Glad you can relax at least a little for the big meal.   Great looking snacks, I'll have to try those pistachios! 

Will be praying for ya with the upcoming surgery!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/