Author Topic: Need help on new Maverick ET -732  (Read 965 times)

Offline jjjonz

Need help on new Maverick ET -732
« Reply #-1 on: November 27, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
I have an old Maverick remote single probe therm that has worked flawless for years...not very good range though. Well, thought it was time to upgrade so I got a new ET-732 from Ebay and man does it have the range. Something is not right though....I can check it boiling water and it reads 212 degrees,but when I check  it inside or outside the house it reads about 4 to 5 degrees higher than 3 other therms. I know that's not right,so should I send it back or deal with Maverick?
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Need help on new Maverick ET -732
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
Well...Nothing says that the other 3 are not reading low ;) ;D...But that seems unlikely. Try all of them in a glass of water filled with crushed ice. Let the ice water get cold for a few minutes. They all should read 33-34F. If not  - then I would think about what to do next.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Unless you live at sea level, it should not be reading 212° when you boil water. 

1) Find the elevation where you live:  http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

2) Then find the boiling point for your elevation on the chart on this page: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html

Fill a very clean pan with at least 3 inches of filtered drinking water.  Bring the water to a rapid boil and carefully stick the thermometer probe about two inches into the water, making sure you don't touch the pan, and take a reading.

Keep in mind this is not science lab accurate (for example; barometric pressure also plays a small role), but this method will get you pretty dang close and will at least tell you if your thermometer and probes are reading accurately.

After you get your numbers and test your thermometer/probes,  if it's reading off then you will need to call Maverick.  I've never had to call them, but I understand their customer service is excellent.

Hope this helps!

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Need help on new Maverick ET -732
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
My head hurts. ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Unless you live at sea level, it should not be reading 212° when you boil water. 

1) Find the elevation where you live:  http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

2) Then find the boiling point for your elevation on the chart on this page: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html

Fill a very clean pan with at least 3 inches of filtered drinking water.  Bring the water to a rapid boil and carefully stick the thermometer probe about two inches into the water, making sure you don't touch the pan, and take a reading.

Keep in mind this is not science lab accurate (for example; barometric pressure also plays a small role), but this method will get you pretty dang close and will at least tell you if your thermometer and probes are reading accurately.

After you get your numbers and test your thermometer/probes,  if it's reading off then you will need to call Maverick.  I've never had to call them, but I understand their customer service is excellent.

Hope this helps!

Cliff

I do live close to sea level....all my therms have always read 212 degrees in boiling water and close to 34 degrees in ice water. The new one checks ut good at those test, but does not match my old therms at any other temps. I may just return it to the buyer.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
My head hurts. ???

Take your temperature, it might be a few degrees off.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)