Author Topic: Pellet smoker GMG Jim Bowie or Blazin Grill Gridiron  (Read 10298 times)

Offline Smokey1960

Pellet smoker GMG Jim Bowie or Blazin Grill Gridiron
« Reply #-1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research on reviews of pellet smokers. The GMG Jim Bowie and Blazin' Grill Works Gridiron have caught my eye. Any thoughts on these two pellet smokers or any other recommendations.
I've got a Smokin Tex 1500 right now that I will be selling and strongly looking at a pellet smoker.

Thanks

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Pellet smoker GMG Jim Bowie or Blazin Grill Gridiron
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
Just my two cents worth, but have you looked at Rec-Tec pellet grills?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
No I haven't, but reading on here the Rec Tec is getting rave reviews.
Hoe does the Rec Tec perform in all aspects.
It sounds like it is a pretty solid performer. How do the temps range across the cooking surface?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:50:05 PM by Smokey1960 »

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
I purchased the Blazin' Grand Slam and could not be more happy.  A quick list of what I like about it
1) MADE IN USA
2) Solid built unit
3) The purchase process was a great experience
4) Love the 30 pound pellet hopper
5) The quick burn pot removal is awesome for a quick clean without having to take out the grates, drip pan and heat diffuser
6) Pellet consumption seems reasonable to me
7) Maintains temps really well
8) Really like the controller with built in meat probe - adjusts in 5 degree incriments
9) Comes with second smoking shelf (would prefer that it was a full shelf but it is still very handy)
10) I could keep going on the plus list  :D

What I did not like (It's a short list!!!!)
1) Freight cost of getting it to Washington State was a bit steep
2) It took a few weeks longer to receive than quoted - I did however order it when things were just ramping up for the season
3) If I had it to do over again the only thing I would change is that I would buy the Amazin Tube smoker rather than the cold smoker box from Blazin - the Blazin cold smoker box is a tank and works great but it is pretty big and I think the Amazin tube smoker would save some room and fit below the drip pan better.

I would strongly recommend the Blazin product (in fact I convinced my BIL to get the same unit and he is completely happy as well) I have not cooked on the other units but have heard good things about them as well.  I was deciding between the Yoder and the Blazin and went with the Blazin because of the controller (I had read that the Yoder - an excellent product - has had multiple controller program updgrades).

I am sure that you will completely enjoy whichever you decide to go with.  Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide on.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
 I agree with Smokerjunky and also TMB.  I personally own the Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron
and it is all that Smokerjunky says it is. I have also cooked on the Rec Tec's and it was my
second choice of grills when I bought my Grid Iron.  Both are excellent smokers and both companies
provide fantastic customer service. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
I just called and talked to Tim at Blazin'Grill and asked about the Gridiron. They have a holiday special. You get the Gridiron, insulated lid add on, cover, sear kit, smoke tube $1549 and I even checked on the cart for pulling it from the garage to the patio. He answered all my questions and I think that is the way I am heading.
Got to run it by my wife, but she already knows I'm lookin'. Told Tim this and he said that he would be there all day tomorrow.
This forum is great and I thank you for all the advice.

Thanks

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
No I haven't, but reading on here the Rec Tec is getting rave reviews.
Hoe does the Rec Tec perform in all aspects.
It sounds like it is a pretty solid performer. How do the temps range across the cooking surface?

Thanks

The Rec Tec is solid in all respects. Well made, great controller that holds temps very tight to set point ( usually within 5 degrees F ) - holds 40 lbs of pellets, has a very useful light in the cooking chamber for those nite time cooks. Heavy gage stainless parts where it counts. Grill grates, drip pan, heat deflector and fire pot. And....It has great curb appeal from the opposite sex too ;). I have one - And do not regret my decision at all, Would buy another one.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:49:44 AM »
Here is another view of the Green Mountain product....It's not a Jim Bowie but the Daniel Boone (close cousin) and my reasons for selecting this cooker.

As an owner of a couple of different pellet grills and a long time user of this method of cooking and baking, I feel qualified to answer why I selected my new Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill over the competition. As a user, I wanted features to suit my style of cooking. I am sure some of my wants and needs may be different than others and I would suggest that they would select a cooker to their style of cooking and needs.

Headspace or height of the cooking chamber...

Along with the standard features of the taller headspace in the cooker that gives you room for beer butt chickens and turkeys, you also have room for raised grid baking which works well in most cookers, additional space for rib racks, and room for a rotisserie setup. 

The cooker has a full 13-1/2 of headspace which did  allow me to fabricate an inexpensive 2 piece second raised cooking grid which doubled the cooking space inside the cooker. I have a total of 864 sq. in. of cooking space with this additional grid.

I can use the full raised 2nd grid or just one side as you see in the pictures. Really adds flexibility to my grill.

Rotisserie Setup

I love rotisserie setups and put them on most of my backyard cookers. The large headspace in the Green Mountain makes adapting this feature to this cooker a fairly easy modification.

These are two whole chickens and two turkey breasts but I do have enough room to do two whole turkeys at a time.

These are slab potatoes and hot chicken wings in another rotisserie setup that does require quite a bit of head space.

This is the Rib-O-Lator rotisserie setup in my Daniel Boone cooker and it does a great job with rotisserie cooking especially pork ribs.

High Heat Grilling Insert

I was able to add a high heat grilling insert to this fine grill which was important to me as I like steaks cooked at the tip of a wood or charcoal flame at high temps.

Then, with the addition of Grill Grates, I have one fine high temp grilling setup.

Steaks and burgers sure look good coming off the cooker with this modification.

Raised Grid Baking

The increased headroom in this cooker allows me at add my ceramic plate setter and my hearth stone for my baking. This raised hearth works great with equal temperatures and great air-flow all around the hearth which makes for great baking.

Standard pizzas along with most breads come out great with this simple setup.

With this very high temp baking setup, I can obtain baking temps of above 700 degrees which works great for Pizza Margherita and other high temp bakes.

Our breads and pizza are wonderful coming off of this cooker.

Temperature Range of this Grill

We do quite a bit of cold smoking and the lower range of 150 degrees works well with items like jerky, sausage, fish, and other products. Most pellet cookers will not go this low so that is a feature we like.

Jerky comes out great on the cooker.

Controller

What is not to like about a controller with an integrated meat probe, a remote option if you want it, has a turbo mode for colder Winter climates, and in most temperature ranges will operate with less than 10 degree temperature swings with your cooking.

Other great Features

Will operate on my less expensive modified sine wave inverter in no power situations.

Fairly inexpensive thermal jacket for cold weather cooking.

Local dealers and a company with a wonderful track record of solving any problems that might occur with the use of the cooker.

A few times during the cooking season, the company will offer up deals that can save you as much $100 dollars off the purchase price. Many dealers will also sweeten a deal on the cooker as well.

“Bang for the Buck”

For my needs, and after comparing several cookers in this price range, I felt that the price paid along with all the great features and the easy adaptability to some of the modifications I wanted just gave me more bang for the buck.

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
Thank You Old Dave...Love the rotisserie set up you have.....

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
OD...That's a great review, thanks for taking the time to post it. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
Be aware that GMG is having MAJOR issues right now with their DB models leaving a lot of soot on food and there does NOT seem to be a solution from GMG at this point.  What's worse is GMG is only helping customers to a point, leaving many customers unhappy.  Hopefully this changes, but for now I would NOT get a GMG.   

Search and you'll find several posts on various forums about this issue.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »
That is some helpful information TH.
Thanks

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »
I product tested the GMG Jim Bowie last year. Please head over to our product review section and check out the review I did on this solid pellet grill.

I wouldn't pull the trigger until you check out Rec Tec. It is the best pellet grill around for under 1,000 bucks hands down. You can also get same as cash financing. 40 lb hopper and one of the best controllers out there, even cooking temps and fast recovery times. Parts are easy to swap out as well..........just sayin.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 05:59:20 AM »
The reason I am looking at the Jim Bowie and the Gridiron are because of the great reviews by Smoke on the Jim Bowie and HOS on the Gridiron.
Excellent reviews. That is what brought me here. You guys are great.

Offline Smokey1960

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
I decided on the Blazin' Grills Gridiron. Reading numerous reviews on a lot of pellet cookers. This is the one that I felt would fit my needs best. Got it with the red paint thrown in and a completion cart. Should ship next week. Tim was awesome to work with answered all my questions before  ordering.