Author Topic: Who else rides?  (Read 8075 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Who else rides?
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
Great looking bike, I always say that if I were to ever part with my Harley it would be a Triumph.  My uncle was a loyal Triumph guy, he rode street and drag raced them too.  He always had at least two in his garage, one for the track and one for the streets.  I have fond memories of him taking me to the drag strip when I was a kid and watching him race.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Nice looking ride Paul! Triumph sure has a lot of sharp looking bikes and most if not all have high grades.
A real good friend of mine used to race flat track too. He had a National #, 89. Great spectator sport!

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Nice looking ride Paul! Triumph sure has a lot of sharp looking bikes and most if not all have high grades.

Stopping the leaks was a big plus.

A real good friend of mine used to race flat track too. He had a National #, 89.

Mike Farley?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
Yep. He's now a pilot for United.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
Nice looking bike, Paul.  I'll bet it really flies down the road. 

They've really come back from the brink with a full line of bikes.  I especially like the classics.  If I was getting one, my heart leads to the scrambler - it reminds me of my first bike:

It would be a nice little get around town bike, but unlike the little Honda, could get out of its own way ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline pmillen

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
Oh, man, Dawg.  That looks just like one of my early bikes.  Even the color!  But I'm certain that mine was a 250.  My friends all had Yamaha YDS3s (Catalina's).  My Scrambler was way more cool.  I used to disparage the 2-strokes, "Ring-a-ding-ding and a puff of smoke."  Not many years later I was riding a 2-stroke 'cause they ruled the race courses.

I used to pound that Honda around rough terrain.  After owning quality suspended bikes I realized that I'm lucky that it didn't spit me off more often.  Compare to my Bultaco Pursang it was a 20 HP pogo stick.

Did you replace the mufflers and with those washers that you could turn 90° and make an open exhaust?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »
That looks a lot like my first Yamaha (except in MUCH better condition!) I saw an ad in the paper - had never ridden before, but went to see it. The guy said to take it for a ride - 1 down 4 up... I nodded like I knew what he was saying. It was early spring, still ice and snow on the roads. How I survived the test ride then the ride home I will never know. $250 and it was a blast for the next couple years.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
My 1st in HS was a Honda 650 and after joining the Corps and getting married I had a couple of small bikes. Three years ago my wife came home and said it's time, the kids are grown and I know you want to ride. She took me down the HD dealership and said pick. I looked at several and I ended up with the 2005 RK Custom. It had low miles and low sticker price. In the past three years I've put just under 20K miles on the bike and love every ride.
Love to cook and eat

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
Not exactly a Harley, but I've had a couple of 200cc Vespas over the years, my first was a 1979 P200e, and the next was a 2006 GT.   Had to get rid of them both a number of years ago, but still miss them!

Drove them when I lived in Portland, and used to commute to work most of the year.  Took them on I-5 and got upwards of about 90mph a couple of times (wild, younger days). 

Given the unexpected turn this thread took, I won't tell you how much male attention you get on one of these, lest I inadvertently start a LTBBQ Vespa scooter club!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline pmillen

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
I love Vespas!  I've never had one—I don't think I've ever seen one.  I just love them from the movies and for what they represent.  I thought that I would see them in Italy but saw 1,000cc scooters everywhere.  They were driven by people who apparently had death wishes.
Paul

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
Did you replace the mufflers and with those washers that you could turn 90° and make an open exhaust?

Mid 60's if you rode a Scrambler to be cool you had to have "Snuff-or-Nots" While showing off revving mine it blew out and took out the guy's headlamp behind me. What fun!
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline pmillen

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »
Paul

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Oh, man, Dawg.  That looks just like one of my early bikes.  Even the color!  But I'm certain that mine was a 250.  My friends all had Yamaha YDS3s (Catalina's).  My Scrambler was way more cool.  I used to disparage the 2-strokes, "Ring-a-ding-ding and a puff of smoke."  Not many years later I was riding a 2-stroke 'cause they ruled the race courses.

I used to pound that Honda around rough terrain.  After owning quality suspended bikes I realized that I'm lucky that it didn't spit me off more often.  Compare to my Bultaco Pursang it was a 20 HP pogo stick.

That looks a lot like my first Yamaha (except in MUCH better condition!) I saw an ad in the paper - had never ridden before, but went to see it. The guy said to take it for a ride - 1 down 4 up... I nodded like I knew what he was saying. It was early spring, still ice and snow on the roads. How I survived the test ride then the ride home I will never know. $250 and it was a blast for the next couple years.

I never came across the snuffers, wish I had, they look cool.

I did know about the Yamahas, but did not know anyone with one.  The real killer of that era was the Kawi triple.  In HS, I had a friend with a Kawi 500.  One day we were riding and he popped an unintentional wheelie at 65 mph !!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline pmillen

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
The Mach 3!  I used to hear those things at full song (howling) when they were a mile away.  Wicked two-cycle.
Paul