Author Topic: Mak 1 Star / Yoder YS 640/ Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron  (Read 14836 times)

Offline coppsean

Mak 1 Star / Yoder YS 640/ Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron
« Reply #-1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
I am looking to upgrade my Traeger Lil Tex. I am really struggling to make a decision but have narrowed it down to a Mak 1 Star, a Yoder YS 640, or a Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron.  I have seen similar discussions run through this forum but I would really love feedback from someone that has cooked on all of these units or at least two of the units.  I have seen the Yoder and Blazn in person but have not seen the Mak.  I have read great things about the Mak but want to ensure that it is worth the extra cost.  Looking to spend $1,200-2,000.  I appreciate the help!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:43:51 AM by coppsean »
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Mak / Yoder / Blazn Grill Works
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »
Let's start with which models you are looking at...? It will be easier to create match ups and differentiate them from one another as well.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline coppsean

Re: Mak 1 Star / Yoder YS 640/ Blazn Grill Works Grid Iron
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:44:23 AM »
Thanks! I just adjusted the subject to include models.
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:44:33 AM »
I've got a Traeger Lil Tex, and a pre-production MAK 1 Star.  Ask away!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
I think with your budget..........go Mak.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
1. MAK - Absolutely worth it. Great product. Key components are stainless. Best controller I have seen or used. Produces more smoke than any of the grills I have seen or used. All made in the USA...even the screws! ;) With upper rack  - you have 760 sq. in. of USEABLE space. It is a "small" looking grill - that can cook 8 pork butts at one time. No other grill I have used can truly produce smoke like the MAK. MAK has more options available for their product line than anyone. The controller is upgradeable to Wi Fi control! And you will love that if you try it once. Dependability, and support are both top notch.

2. Yoder.....I am a previous Yoder owner. Had one for 2 years. The body of the grill - is as heavily built as they come. The weakness is the controller and software. It does burn a lot of pellets. It does take longer to warm up. And...thicker steel does not insulate better. Steel is more thermally transparent than most think. Well built? Absolutely. Just not as "friendly" as the MAK in terms of space. And - if you want to run a Yoder at 500-600F... be prepared...you WILL spend 5 lbs. of pellets PER hour .
And..I want to say that Yoder is on version 24 (?) of firmware updates, trying to get temp. differentials on the grate to be less, temp. over-shoots on start up or when you change the temp settings, and the consumption of pellets at high temps.in line with other brand grills.

One you have not listed, but I would definitely recommend you look at - is the Rec-Tec. At $1000 it offers some really nice features - and a large cooking surface. It is well built and the hopper holds a full 40 lbs of pellets! Key components are heavy, high grade stainless ( fire pot, heat deflector, drip pan  ) and a nice light inside - so you can see what you are cooking at night. And...it looks awesome!

ANY of these can be used to sear - if you buy a set of Grill Grates. I recommend them - no matter what you end up with. Example: I can set my Mak 2 star on 350F - and sear a steak. Because  the Grill Grates truly magnify the heat!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:46:12 AM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »
I like maks.  I do like the rec tecs a lot too.  but........my next pellet grill w/ be a Memphis advantage.  double walled and a miser w/ pellets. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline coppsean

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:18:56 PM »
I love the Memphis line but that is out of my price range.  My number one concern with the Mak was the size.  It seems so much smaller than the Yoder for example.  However, it sounds like the Mak has plenty of usable space with the full upper rack.  Does anyone have experience with the Mak wifi?  I am considering going with that if I choose a Mak but would like to know how others like it.  Also curious about range.  I am sure he need a pretty good router for it to reach the backyard.
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
MAK offers 2 options: one is a Remote Boss - which has good range around the house and yard ( If I remember correctly - something like 300 feet )

*BUT*....the WiFi option - is limitless.... if you have a wireless router in your home ( look at the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station - reviews on the 'net ), it uses it to connect to your phone, tablet, or laptop - anywhere in the world that you have internet service.
And, while this sounds un-needed or frivolous to some - let me say that I can't remember the number of times I have double scheduled my time, or been running behind schedule, or forgotten a dinner appt. with the Mrs. at a restaurant...and THIS device has "saved my bacon".
Whether you are raising a family - and need to have a cook going while withe the kids at the soccer field - or trying to get the house clean, and grocery shopping done AND cook ribs or pulled pork for company/friends/relatives has has called you from the airport ( SURPRISE! ;D )...The WiFi option allows you to monitor both the internal temp of up to 3 meats - and the cooking temp of the cook chamber via one of 3 probe ports on the Pellet Boss - and adjust the cooking temp up, or down - or off, if it is done.

You will not regret the utility and ease of use that the WiFi option gives you. Incredible - and hard to believe that other manufacturers have been so slow to understand the desirability of this option.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
I own the Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron.  I have also cooked on a Rec Tec. Space wise on the Grid Iron
you have 702 sq inches bottom shelf and 310 inches half shelf (at no extra cost) for a total of 1012 sq inches.
There is more than enough space on there to do up to 9 butts.  It is built like a tank and it has the same
digital controller that the Rec Tec, Memphis and Louisiana Grills have. I considered all of your choices too
and I was sold on the Grid Iron as it is (1) made in the USA (2) standard half second shelf (3) standard front shelf.
Hope this helps. I also did a full review on this board http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7160.0.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »

MAK 1 capacity...     4 butts on the bottom rack, 2 on the top.

Or 2 packer briskets.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »
Teesquare did a great job explaining some of the differences.   The good news is all three of those grills are made in the U.S.A. which is a win, win, win!!!

I have not cooked on either a Yoder or the Grid Iron, so I cannot give a comparison from that perspective, but I can address a couple of concerns you have about the MAK.

...I have read great things about the Mak but want to ensure that it is worth the extra cost.

The two biggest factors in the price difference that get overlooked, because they're not obvious, are: Shipping and the Metal used.

Metal: Rather than mild steel for the body, MAK is using Aluminized Steel (for its corrosion resistance) with a 1200° powder coat finish.   The critical components are made of 304 grade Stainless steel.  This adds to the cost, but it should virtually never rust.

Shipping:  Shipping cost is included in the price of a MAK. As far as I know, unless you live close to a dealer, you will pay around $100 or so for shipping on the other two grills.

BTW - When checking pricing be sure to call a MAK dealer.  You will get better pricing ordering from a dealer than directly from MAK. MAK does this to to guarantee that they do not undercut their dealers.

My number one concern with the Mak was the size.  It seems so much smaller than the Yoder for example.  However, it sounds like the Mak has plenty of usable space with the full upper rack.

Yes, The MAK has deceptively small footprint.  When we first got our MAK 1 Star I was a little underwhelmed at how small it seemed. It wasn't until I did a couple large cooks that I fully appreciated just how much room it truly has (because of the lid design) and how much food it can hold.

I do a few large cooks for large crowds every year. I have no problems cooking 8 butts (4 full sized butts on the bottom - 2 full sized and 2 smaller (7 lb) butts on the top).

How about 80 pieces of chicken or 40 leg quarters?

Hope this helps answer your questions on the MAK if that's where you're leaning.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:23:34 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
You can come over to my house and cook on a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG-500 (a pit that I notice you aren't considering).  I provided my impressions here.

I think the three best pellet pits are the Memphis, Mak and, of course, the Cookshack Fast Eddy PG-500.  I don't know much about the Yoder and I discount the Blazin Grill Works 'cause it's my observation that most of the pellet pit users who have added auxiliary smoke generating devices are Blazin Grill Works owners so I have concluded that many owners are dissatisfied with the amount of smoke they make. 

I'll put on my Nomex and wait for the flames.   ;D

Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »

You should not get any flames from us. But, you will get sympathy for dealing with Fats Eddie..... :D :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »

You should not get any flames from us. But, you will get sympathy for dealing with Fats Eddie..... :D :D :D :D

No flames here either! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  The Grid Iron puts out plenty of smoke and
there are times I like extra smoke, thus the smoker tube. The tube has been used probably in most all of the
listed pellet smokers, other than yours, so I see no problem.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles