Author Topic: Menards is now selling Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grills  (Read 12081 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Menards is now selling Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grills
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
Well, I won't be buying anything before this snow / cold leaves (spring, summer, 2020???) So, I have time to look around. I don't need a large cooking area - we don't do a lot of food to save. But, if I pull the trigger (and that is an if as my fires are working well) I want something that will last in the extreme temps / weather we experience and is reliable. Those are the two critical factors for me. I regularly read the posts of the pellet heads and appreciate your comments, thoughts and experiences. Please keep them coming.

The Memphis and Cookshack offer insulated lids. You can also save some coin with a Traeger Lil Tex or a GMG Daniel Boone with a insulated cover that both companies offer for their pits............

Thanks Smoke,

While price is a factor it is not the only factor. As you know, I want something that will perform as well as last, and I really appreciate your input - after all these years, you have never steered me wrong.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Well, I won't be buying anything before this snow / cold leaves (spring, summer, 2020???) So, I have time to look around. I don't need a large cooking area - we don't do a lot of food to save. But, if I pull the trigger (and that is an if as my fires are working well) I want something that will last in the extreme temps / weather we experience and is reliable. Those are the two critical factors for me. I regularly read the posts of the pellet heads and appreciate your comments, thoughts and experiences. Please keep them coming.

The Memphis and Cookshack offer insulated lids. You can also save some coin with a Traeger Lil Tex or a GMG Daniel Boone with a insulated cover that both companies offer for their pits............

Thanks Smoke,

While price is a factor it is not the only factor. As you know, I want something that will perform as well as last, and I really appreciate your input - after all these years, you have never steered me wrong.

:) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
The Memphis and Cookshack offer insulated lids.

David, I thought about the potential benefits of pit insulation when I bought my Cookshack Fast Eddy PG-500, which is not insulated.  Cookshack makes an insulated model, the PG-1000, but it's $1,200 more.  I thought, "The PG-500 will maintain temperature, it wil just burn more pellets.  Well, $1,200 will buy a lot of pellets.  The time-value of the money not spent will result in more than $1,200 savings."

So I bought the uninsulated model.  YTMV (thoughts)
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
If you go to a welding supply store or Amazon, welding blankets are available at a fraction of the cost of brand - specific insulated covers or insulated grills.