Author Topic: SV Ribs?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
SV Ribs?
« Reply #-1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
I have seen all you SV owners turn out all different kinds of meat and figured it was only time until someone incorporated it to their ribs. I just watched a DDD at Roadkill BBG in Las Vegas. The guy boils his ribs for 45 min. and then throws on the grill to finish. The owner also has a butcher shop. All eating there raved about the ribs. Maybe LVC; Cajun can try it out and give us a review and someone here will want to try it SV style I am sure.
http://www.johnmullsmeats.com/
Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: SV Ribs?
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
I have seen all you SV owners turn out all different kinds of meat and figured it was only time until someone incorporated it to their ribs. I just watched a DDD at Roadkill BBG in Las Vegas. The guy boils his ribs for 45 min. and then throws on the grill to finish. The owner also has a butcher shop. All eating there raved about the ribs. Maybe LVC; Cajun can try it out and give us a review and someone here will want to try it SV style I am sure.
http://www.johnmullsmeats.com/
Smokin Don
Does he boil the ribs or sous vide them?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »
I saw that awhile back and Guy couldn't believe he boiled the. He really did ......in a big pot......and people stand line in line to get them. Watch the video and you will see  !!!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MY8dvJE_M

Rib boiling here......

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:09:07 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:06:27 PM »
Does he boil the ribs or sous vide them?
Like JJ said he boils them in a pot of water with some of the rub and they were marinated with the rub first, don't remember how long. I figured it could be adapted to SV.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
In the 60s to maybe the 80s it was fairly common to par-boil ribs.  A lot of rib joints still do it.  I've been told that Tony Roma's still does.

A lot of meat is boiled to tenderize it in places where there isn't enough fuel for a long slow cook.  I've eaten a lot of par-boiled meat.  I don't think the boiling ruined it.  The meat in soup might be categorized as boiled.  However, I wouldn't care for over-boiled rib mush.

If there were less liquid used it would be called braising, which is what happens when you foil your ribs.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
Search a bit in the Sous Vide section.  I think Meube wrote about SVing beef ribs.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
Search a bit in the Sous Vide section.  I think Meube wrote about SVing beef ribs.

I have done beef ribs but not pork. There are others who have with great results.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
I was actually thinking about 72 hours at 145 then flaming then on a grill.
Only problem is I'll have to get leaner ribs like baby backs since SV does not render fat. I'll start Wednesday night for weekend grill fest.

Wait it just hit me.  SV them for 72 hours, quickly chill them and refrigerate overnight. We all know that cold meat attracts more smoke, use indirect set up on the grill, add some smoke while ribs are warming up then flame it.

How's that sound?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:05:55 PM »
Sounds good Bigg!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »
I'll be your Guinea Pig. Will report back over the weekend.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
In the 60s to maybe the 80s it was fairly common to par-boil ribs.  A lot of rib joints still do it.  I've been told that Tony Roma's still does.

A lot of meat is boiled to tenderize it in places where there isn't enough fuel for a long slow cook.  I've eaten a lot of par-boiled meat.  I don't think the boiling ruined it.  The meat in soup might be categorized as boiled.  However, I wouldn't care for over-boiled rib mush.

If there were less liquid used it would be called braising, which is what happens when you foil your ribs.

I remember back in the 70's my Dad par-boiled ribs. I was in my early teens and couldn't tell the difference between par-boiled ribs and other ribs.  I had other things on my mind besides cooking back then. ::) :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)