Author Topic: Seasoning My de Buyer Pans  (Read 2573 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Seasoning My de Buyer Pans
« Reply #-1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
I finally “found” a block of time to be able to season my new de Buyer pans.  I bought the 8” and 10” pans to replace the “coated” pans that I continually have to replace, despite taking great care to not scratch them.

I’ll outline the steps I took and show you before and after pictures.  Basically I followed the recommended approach of washing the pans, adding water to about 1/2” from the top and adding potato peels from several well washed potatoes.  I boiled them for 20 minutes.  This step will remove the beeswax that coats the pans.  I drained the boiled potato peels and rinsed the pan thoroughly to remove the black line that forms at the water level.  Once this step is completed it is time to start the real seasoning process.  Again, I followed the recommended approach of using Barlean’s Organic Flaxseed Oil.  You rub a very, very thin layer of the flaxseed oil on the inside of the pan and turn the burner to high heat.  I used a paper towel to remove any excess oil.  If there is too much oil left in the pan, it will burn and create a layer that will chip or peel off over time.  As soon as you get the first wisps of smoke off the pan, shut the burner off and let the pan cool completely.  I repeated this process 7 times, and added one more seasoning step (#8) using some clean bacon grease for the last step before I will start to use the pan. 

Boiling potato peels.

Barlean’s Flaxseed Oil.

Pan prior to starting the seasoning process.

After the first seasoning.

Both pans after the 7th seasoning.

10” pan after the bacon seasoning.

Seasoning the new pans was a little time consuming, but I believe it will be time well spent in the long run.  Time to go make breakfast.  My first cook in the pan will be bacon.  I want all the good Ju-Ju I can get.  Sparky made me do it!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Seasoning My de Buyer Pans
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
Thanks for the detailed post!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
Envious here..I like the big pan.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
That's a lot of work, Art  ???

I think the French chefs rub them with horse dung and set them in the sun  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
Great job seasoning Art!!! I would like those pans but my Lodge carbon steel I have work good and the wife would have a fit if I bought more! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »
Very nice job! I guess I slacked on my 10 inch. Just one coat of oil. Tell us your impressions of the non stick properties after you cook something. I swear mine is more non stick then my Teflon pans
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
Very nice job! I guess I slacked on my 10 inch. Just one coat of oil. Tell us your impressions of the non stick properties after you cook something. I swear mine is more non stick then my Teflon pans

Well, the bacon I cooked this morning did not stick.  The egg I cooked in the smaller pan stuck a little.  It will take some time and a lot of cooks to really get the seasoning just right, I'm sure.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

Well, the bacon I cooked this morning did not stick.  The egg I cooked in the smaller pan stuck a little.  It will take some time and a lot of cooks to really get the seasoning just right, I'm sure.

Art

Yes Art it will take awhile to build up the seasoning so eggs won't stick, but be diligent and soon those eggs will slide out of the pan lickety split!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
Mine did on my first cook. I did use some butter.???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
Nice looking pans, I know what's going on my wish list for Birthday, Fathers Day, and Christmas this year. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Tonybel

• We BBQ and Grill every chance we get.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:59 AM »
Nice!
Look forward to seeing your pans in action.
18.5 WSM, 14.5 WSM, 22.5 Black OTG, 22.5 Blue Perfomer, 22.5 Old red head (patent pending), Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Genesis.
Cast Iron disc and a comal for tacos that sit on a stand and use propane burner.