Author Topic: Brisket was Cheap and Delicious, not anymore  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Pappymn

Brisket was Cheap and Delicious, not anymore
« Reply #-1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
I enjoyed this article. It says Arby's has sucked up 5% of available brisket supply.  :(

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brisket-was-cheap-and-delicious-now-its-expensive-and-you-have-to-wait-in-line-1423180291
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Brisket was Cheap and Delicious, not anymore
« on: February 06, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
I tried Arby's brisket the other day.  They certainly know how to murder a piece of protein, IMHO.  On my WORST day, I could outlook Arby's brisket!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
I have not seen a full packer here in So-Cal for under 50 bucks lately...darn good thing I like chuck roasts almost better............ :(

Arbys should not be allowed to be even near a brisket..let alone try to cook the darn thing  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »
Last week Walmart in Houston was selling Excel select packer brisket for $2.48/lb.  That's the cheapest it has been since last September. After you lo and slo it, you're not supposed to be able to tell the difference between select, choice, or prime....and I can't.

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this article. Love some Brisket  :P.  But..... Arby's ? I think NOT!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »
I love Arby's market fresh sandwiches. I have had their brisket and was not impressed at all.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Good article (and comments).  This is what it was in Maine last summer.  You don't want to miss on that cook. -

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
That's exactly why I don't do briskets very often anymore.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
We're  back to the drawing board, too, with these prices for brisket.   Father in law turns 100 in March, so having a big family get together (natch).  The original plan was to smoke a couple of briskets for part of the weekend, plus have the leftovers to feed the "hangers on."    Now we don't quite know what to do.  FIL's favorite is ribs, but while my grill is pretty big (CB940X) I don't think I can do that many.  Maybe split it up and do a couple/three batches, then slowly reheat.    We've also talked about a chuck roll, but I've not had any experience doing one.   Any other ideas out there?   For just a few of us, gonna do rib eyes and lobster tails, just grilled.  BUT, for about 28-30 people, can't afford that!   Was pushing it to do enough brisket.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
We're  back to the drawing board, too, with these prices for brisket.   Father in law turns 100 in March, so having a big family get together (natch).  The original plan was to smoke a couple of briskets for part of the weekend, plus have the leftovers to feed the "hangers on."    Now we don't quite know what to do.  FIL's favorite is ribs, but while my grill is pretty big (CB940X) I don't think I can do that many.  Maybe split it up and do a couple/three batches, then slowly reheat.    We've also talked about a chuck roll, but I've not had any experience doing one.   Any other ideas out there?   For just a few of us, gonna do rib eyes and lobster tails, just grilled.  BUT, for about 28-30 people, can't afford that!   Was pushing it to do enough brisket.

For a crowd pulled pork brings a smile to everyone, and is economical!

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Thanks, Hikerman, BUT, get the rolled eyes and "look" from the boss, "There is SO much fat in a butt."   You know your dietician will just raise all billy be damned with you."  I may just do it anyway.   This being retired and living on a fixed income is for the birds!   

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »
I'm doing this later today, but how about pulled chuck roast? Still economical, and loaded with flavor with wow appeal!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Thanks, Hikerman, BUT, get the rolled eyes and "look" from the boss, "There is SO much fat in a butt."   You know your dietician will just raise all billy be damned with you."  I may just do it anyway.   This being retired and living on a fixed income is for the birds!
Unless I have been misinformed all these years a packer brisket has approximately 30% fat ratio.  A pork butt has approximately 30% fat ratio.  So when the "Boss" says there is so much fat, me thinks she may not be totally informed  ;D  Also you have to remember that you are going to get a lot of fat drippings from the brisket as well as the butt.  You will also lose water weight.  Figure you are going to lose 40 to 50% in weight going from green weight to finished weight.  I say damn the torpedoes and throw some pork butts on the smoker and live happy, happy, happy  ;)

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:24 PM »

Could be worse, could be retired and living on a broken income. :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
My income has always been fixed. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,