Author Topic: Raccoon for sale in Los Angeles Supermarket  (Read 6108 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Raccoon for sale in Los Angeles Supermarket
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
 LA; All my moms side of the family is from over near Brookhaven, McComb, Area.   I remember one of my cousins getting whipped halfway across the yard for petting the coon dogs.  None of the rest of us ever crossed that line after that.
My Uncle  said those dogs are for coon huntin and that's all they are for!   
When it was time to go he would open the pens and those dogs were so excited ! They ran barking baying and climbed in that truck.
 Its a lot of fun chasing through those thick woods when those dogs got one treed..

Part of it sounds just like my uncle when he was running the dogs.  Makes me want to hit the woods right now...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
I grew up listening to Jerry Clower...I still love The Rat Killin'.... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Coon is ok but not my favorite, but for an adventure you need to go coon hunting with some mississippi rednecks  8)

LA I know you at a Mississippi boy so I know you have heard Jerry Clower's story " knock 'em out John". I lived through an even funnier version as a young boy when Mr Curtis took some us coon hunting. It is probably too long to tell here but would be a nice tale around their fire at a gathering.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
I grew up with a redbone named Mack who was the family's awesome coon dog.  Corn growers would ask us to come hunt on their land.  Nothing was quite like the rush of having a treed coon bale out and having it land right beside you in the middle of the night.  Anyway, my mother or grandmother would brine the dressed coon overnight and it's been 50 plus years since I've eaten any so I can't remember what it tasted like. The fat was saved to make "drags" to exercise Mack between hunts. There is no shortage of raccoons in New England; I trapped and moved 5 this past summer trying to protect my wife's garden.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

This is funny 8)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline KyNola

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
Here is what I know about BBQ coon.  Where I live we call it "Coon" when cooked.  I have a friend who was a true pitmaster.  I had eaten a lot of  of his food. He came one night to a "gathering of friends" carrying a roasting pan.  I asked him what was in the pan.  He said "BBQ Coon. You going to try it?"  My answer was "Not until you take the lid off of that pan".

The Coon was awesome but the reward came later.  After my friend passed away his widow contacted my mother in law and asked if she thought I would like to have his BBQ sauce recipe because he wouldn't give it to anyone, including his children and she didn't want it do die with him.  I am so honored to have his recipe for so many reasons.  1. She trusted me with it. 2. It is a killer.

BBQ Coon is good when L.A. smokes it.

RIP L.A.   

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Here is what I know about BBQ coon.  Where I live we call it "Coon" when cooked.  I have a friend who was a true pitmaster.  I had eaten a lot of  of his food. He came one night to a "gathering of friends" carrying a roasting pan.  I asked him what was in the pan.  He said "BBQ Coon. You going to try it?"  My answer was "Not until you take the lid off of that pan".

The Coon was awesome but the reward came later.  After my friend passed away his widow contacted my mother in law and asked if she thought I would like to have his BBQ sauce recipe because he wouldn't give it to anyone, including his children and she didn't want it do die with him.  I am so honored to have his recipe for so many reasons.  1. She trusted me with it. 2. It is a killer.

RIP L.A.   
  I don't guess you would share that recipe ?

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »

RIP L.A.   
  I don't guess you would share that recipe ?
YEAH..what Terry said.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline KyNola

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »
Normally I will share any recipe I have but in this one particular case no, I won't share it.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »
Normally I will share any recipe I have but in this one particular case no, I won't share it.

Then you'll just have to make up several batches and ship to everyone at LTBBQ so we can taste it for ourselves.  :P :P :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »

Then you'll just have to make up several batches and ship to everyone at LTBBQ so we can taste it for ourselves.  :P :P :P
Seems reasonable...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »

This is funny 8)

LA I have not listened to this in a long time. It still makes me laugh till I almost pee my pants mainly because I had al similar experience. When I was a teenager, Miss Virginia the Church Lady convinced her husband Mr. Curtis to take some of us boys from the church coon hunting. Now Curtis was a Coon Hunter, it was his main joy in life. So one night he packed his famous coon dogs in his truck (they got to sit in the front) and us boys in the back and drove as far back in the woods at the truck would go and then let those dogs out. He gave us all one of those miner's carbide lamps to put on our head and off we went behind the dogs. Before long we heard Old Red (his redbone hound hound, not an original name I know) strike up his "chasing a  coon" howl then quickly change to his "I got him up a tree" howl. We chased over there and Red had that coon up a skinny tree. Well Curtis was the "knock em out John" type who didn't like shooting a coon, he like to knock them out and let the dogs chase them again. So Curtis told us boys to hold the dogs while he climbed the tree, when he knocked out the coon we were supposed to hold the dogs till he got down and let them loose to run him again. He gave me Old Red to hold and I sat down on the ground with my fingers under his collar and waited. Curtis climbed the tree and got to shaking it and that coon fell and snagged on the leg of Curtis's overalls.  Curtis was screaming and kicking his leg till he finally shook the cook loose and it fell right in front of Old Red's nose. Now Red was probably 70 or so pounds and I might have been 90 pounds soaking wet but he was a lot stronger than me. He took off after that coon and I could not get my fingers out from under that collar and he drug me a good 30 or 40 feet before I could get loose. Red got that coon right back up another tree but by the time Curtis got down his overalls were all torn up and his leg was bleeding so he took his dogs and us boys and let that coon live another day.  The first time I heard Jerry Clower tell his story it brought back some good and fnny memories.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
What a great story, Ken!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 07:06:45 PM »
Awesome story Ken!
That's a camp fire special for sure...