Author Topic: New Member from Livonia, Michigan  (Read 3414 times)

PapaBob

New Member from Livonia, Michigan
« Reply #-1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:41:34 AM »
Hello to all I hope will be my new friends!

My name is Bob (61) and along with my bride of 39 years, we live in Livonia, Michigan which today happens to be quite cold....-8.  We have three grown kids and two awesome grandchildren that we are rapidly spending our retirement savings on in an attempt to make them the most spoiled kids in the world!

Anyway, my working career has been in Loss Prevention with several large commercial insurance companies.  I have provided safety services to many large accounts mainly in the area of construction and crane safety.

My background with outdoor cooking goes back to when i was about 8 or 9 when I would help my dad sauce ribs on our family Weber grill.  I have had many grills over my life, mostly in the mid price range as you would typically find in the big box stores.

When it comes to grilled food, I'm a bit of a purist.  While I will concede a bit of salt and pepper to bring out the natural flavor of food, I'm not much for layering on heavy coats of rub or sauces.  If i wanted to eat spices or sauce, I would just eat them by the spoonful or take a swig out of a bottle of Open Pit! After all good meat, cooked properly, should taste good all by itself!

Over the past year I had been in the market for a new outdoor cooking unit and thought I would give smoking a try.  After all there are plenty of forums on this subject with many folks seeming to like it so I thought I would do a little research.

Since I was new to the process and rather limited for space, I came across the Masterbuilt 40. And while it had a few operational problems, overall the forum writers seemed to feel that it was a pretty good product.  I researched everything I could about the unit and for Christmas 2014 my wife actually got me one.

While my research was very thorough, the only thing I didn't know what what the food that came off of it tasted like.

The first few weeks we cooked ribs, chicken, a brisket and the rest of the usual outdoor fare.

It was horrifying.  Everything that was cooked, no matter what recipe we followed, tasted like it was boiled.  Not to mention that this unit really didn't function anywhere near what the forums said it did.  Granted I might not have given it as much time as some have to perfect the process, but first impressions are usually right and this unit was not going to be for me.  Last weekend it got boxed up and returned to Sam's Club.

So, I stumbled on to the Pit Barrel Cooker.  And a lot of videos and comments out there point to your forum.  So I thought I would join.  Interestingly, of all the posts on your website and several others, i have not seen one negative post about this unit.  Plus i have gotten to read some really great ideas that you all are doing with your PBC.

And with that, my cooker just got delivered today.  Looking forward to unpacking it and giving it a try.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit!

Thanks and looking forward to being a part of your forum. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:51:26 AM by PapaBob »

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: New Member from Livonia, Michigan
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
Hi PoppaBob,,welcome from NW Ohio, I'm in Lima. These guys make fabulous stuff on their pbcs. More than you ever thought of and they are very willing to share their info, with pics. No pics, didn't happen, they call them unicorn cooks. So go for it.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:58:57 AM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jgk

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
Welcome from Howell Michigan! We're almost neighbors.
Where there's smoke there's dinner!
Primo Junior
Rec Tec Mini
TEC Infared Grill

Offline Pappymn

New Member from Livonia, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Welcome from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
Welcome from Savannah, Ga.

I don't have the Pit Barrel Cooker but everything I am seen on this forum cook in the PBC looked amazing.

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
Welcome from Alabama!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »
Welcome from Southern California!

Bob first off you have made an outstanding choice with your PBC purchase. You will not be dissappointed!

The PBC is kind of in a category of it's own. I would not bundle it in with a smoker category nor a grill. It is more of a power cooker that uses natural humidity of the food your cooking to keep things moist.

The juices dripping onto the coal bed create a humid environment that allow you to cook food to perfection without it drying out.

Noah and Amber(owners of Pit Barrel Cooker) are available by phone and are more than happy to help with any problems. Also we here can be helpful if questions or problems come up.

My advice to you is do not over think this cooker. Follow the instructions on the videos and you will turn out great food. Once you have a few cooks under your belt then you can experiment.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Welcome, from NE Ohio.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
Welcome from Germany!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
I think you'll like the PBC better.
I had a Masterbuilt for a year & gave to my nephew.
It too easy to OVERSMOKE of het a funky taste on an electric insulated smoker, that why Bradley's are popular they are much more idiot proof.
The PBC is simply a verticle charcoal drum smoker ,in a better 30 gallon size than a 55 gal. Ugly Drum Smoker. I my opion things cooker over wood/charcoal taste better than an electric smoker.
The porceloin coated PBC is not a bad deal at $299 for a cooker that should last 10 years with frequent cooks.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
Greetings from Las Vegas. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »
Welcome from N. Ontario Canada.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »
Another Canadian Welcome ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.