Author Topic: Sous Vide Eggs  (Read 1896 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Sous Vide Eggs
« Reply #-1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
I have been wanting to try the sous vide eggs like David (drholly) has been showing off.  They looked so good.  Now I can report that he is right on the money.  Those eggs are almost velvety in texture.  Totally different tasting experience with this style of cooked eggs.

I cooked up some bacon (I already know it will catch a comment from Hub about the “measly” amount I had on my plate).  Toasted an English muffin and buttered it.  Sent the eggs for a swim at 167 F for about 14 minutes.  Plated and added some jalapeño seasoned salt to the eggs.  Fantastic breakfast, IMO.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Sous Vide Eggs
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
Dang, I want that in my belly!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Perfect! Beautiful plate. That texture is so different, for me it's all about the yolk (sung to the tune of it's all about the bass...  ;D ), I don't even want to fry eggs anymore! Nice job.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Looks tasty Art! Now you got me wanting to try this!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Looks tasty Art! Now you got me wanting to try this!  ;)
+1
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 02:33:53 PM »
I want some of that! Side note, I think I have the same set of plate... Given to me by my parents as their "old" set when they got new ones.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
You just can't beat a sous vide egg, those look wonderful, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:36:18 AM »
Art, a couple of questions:

How are you bagging the eggs for the sous-vide swim?

Is this a similar texture to poached eggs, which are also soft and velvety,  or is this even better?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

Is this a similar texture to poached eggs, which are also soft and velvety,  or is this even better?

I can tell you my method and that is I don't bag them.  Now I've learned a few lessons from this also, with the Anova units the circulating water is going to swirl the eggs around and possibly crack them.  The swirling of the circulating water can be minimized on the Anova units by repositioning the housing that covers the impeller and heating element so that the discharge is to the rear of the unit and the circulating water is dispersed against the wall of the cooking vessel reducing the swirling of the eggs.

If using a Dorkfood DSV unit there is no circulation, therefore no problem with the eggs circulating around the cooking vessel and possibly cracking the shells during the cooking process.

I'll use the Dorkfood DSV for eggs and the Anova for other stuff.   My Dorkfood DSV is also my dedicated RV sous vide unit when I take road trips.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »

I tried bagging them with regular pint-sized baggies.  I cracked the egg into the baggy and carefully removed as much air as possible.  I used one egg per baggy.  The only problem I had was the same one David experienced.  The whites tended to not cook as nicely as the yolk.  The yolk was done a little bit more than I like my poached eggs.  The whites were still kind of runny after cooking.  I need to try this again and using a different time and temp combination. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:36 AM »

I tried bagging them with regular pint-sized baggies.  I cracked the egg into the baggy and carefully removed as much air as possible.  I used one egg per baggy.  The only problem I had was the same one David experienced.  The whites tended to not cook as nicely as the yolk.  The yolk was done a little bit more than I like my poached eggs.  The whites were still kind of runny after cooking.  I need to try this again and using a different time and temp combination. 

Art

I leave the eggs in the shell and put a bag between the Anova and the eggs to prevent too much swirling and potential cracking. Like Art says, I have yet to be happy with the whites without over cooking the yolks - and it's all about the yolks to me. So, after I take the egg out of the shell, I carefully rinse off the loosest parts of the whites under a stream of warm water. The only white remaining is well set and the yolk is soft and velvety.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #