Author Topic: HUB, have a Gravy Question  (Read 3931 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
HUB, have a Gravy Question
« Reply #-1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »
My Wife made a roast chicken yesterday but for leftovers today we needed more Gravy. Here is what I did.

Remember my bone broth

Added two. Blocks

Added the leftover gravy and some store broth.

Finished product

My question, tonight I used corn starch to thicken. Really didn't get as thick as I wanted. Would a butter / flour rou been better?

Thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

HUB, have a Gravy Question
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
Make sure you boil the corn starch mixture. It will only reach it's full potential at a boil. I make extra slurry to make sure I have the consistency that I want a
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: HUB, have a Gravy Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »
Hub is the resident GRAVY guru, but I can say that I get better results using a flour/butter roux mixture than using corn starch.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
Hub is the resident GRAVY guru, but I can say that I get better results using a flour/butter roux mixture than using corn starch.

Me too!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:05:58 AM »
Another method I use is I make a <a href="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beurre_manié">beurre manié</a> and keep a roll of it in the fridge.  When I need to thicken gravy I just slice off as much as needed and add it to the broth until I get the desired texture I want in the gravy.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
Pappy, I'm sure I gave the gravy enought time to thicken.

I think the answer is the roux will do a better job.

Q: would not Beurre manié still have a flour taste? Could you also not make a larger batch of roux and keep that in the fridge?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
I am going to throw  out a 3rd - less known option....

Arrowroot powder. It is found in all of the natural foods stores. It adds no taste to anything - and unlike flour, it will not cloud or make clear aces turn opaque.
And...it has twice the thickening power of corn starch...literally. SO - you have to be careful that you don'e turn a nice sauce or gravy into a jelly.... :D

It is one of those cabinet residents that - if I am making something that I want to remain clear, and maybe I am trying to keep the calories in check...I reach for.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »
Roux, roux, roux your gravy boat
Gently til' it steams  ;)

Whatever floats your gravy boat  ;)

Life is just a bowl of gravy  ;)

Now, what was the question?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
I am going to throw  out a 3rd - less known option....

Arrowroot powder. It is found in all of the natural foods stores. It adds no taste to anything - and unlike flour, it will not cloud or make clear aces turn opaque.
And...it has twice the thickening power of corn starch...literally. SO - you have to be careful that you don'e turn a nice sauce or gravy into a jelly.... :D

It is one of those cabinet residents that - if I am making something that I want to remain clear, and maybe I am trying to keep the calories in check...I reach for.

I forgot all about Arrowroot - thanks for the reminder!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
One more - Hol-grain rice starch from Conrad Rice Mills.  Gluten free, low cal.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »

Another nice choice Wing. How would you compare the thickening power to other ingredients we use for this purpose?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
Some good info here, book marked

Thanks all for taking the time.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »

Another nice choice Wing. How would you compare the thickening power to other ingredients we use for this purpose?

I personally haven't used it yet.  We bought some to try when we toured the rice mill last year and my wife doesn't remember how well it worked.  This is from their site -

To thicken hot liquids, sprinkle rice starch directly into liquid and blend well. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. For thicker sauce or gravy, simply sprinkle 1 teaspoon at a time directly into the pan until desired thickness is reached.

Servings per 6oz container approx 21

Nutritional Data:
Calories - 30; Total Fat - 0g; Sat Fat 0g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 0 mg; Total Carbohydrates 7g- 2%; Dietary Fiber 0g; Protein 0g;

A little off topic - their Konrico Wild Pecan Rice is phenomenal; it has a wonderful nutty flavor.  According to John Thorne in his book, Serious Pig, it's a cross between basmati and American long-grain rice.  We get it in their 10-pound bags which has (5) 2-pound bags inside.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
Pappy, I'm sure I gave the gravy enought time to thicken.

I think the answer is the roux will do a better job.

Q: would not Beurre manié still have a flour taste? Could you also not make a larger batch of roux and keep that in the fridge?
[/b][/color]

I've never had a flour taste in anything I have used beurre manié in.  I suppose you could make a large batch of roux and store it for later use.  I've never done it because I usually make my roux at the time I need it for the dish I'm making. 
----------------------

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
I suppose you could make a large batch of roux and store it for later use.  I've never done it because I usually make my roux at the time I need it for the dish I'm making.

I've read that you can freeze roux with no problems.  I've never done this but am going to try it soon.  Most of the southern dishes I like require a roux but I just hate to take the time to make it, so the next time I need a roux I'm going to make a big one and freeze some.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312