Author Topic: 20K Maintenance turns into 2K job  (Read 1825 times)

Offline RAD

20K Maintenance turns into 2K job
« Reply #-1 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
I have a 2005 RK Custom that I purchased in Nov 2011 with 3500 miles and I usually to my own 5K Oil changes but at the 20K mark I decided to take it to the dealership and get it looked over by someone that knows what they were doing. I am OK with basic but Iā€™m no mechanic.

Turns out I had some serious issues going on.

Original work I wanted:

20K service: $311.92, not too bad for what they are doing.

New hand grips $90 ā€“ Installed for $20, an easy job but for $20 let them do the work

Dealer found I was missing Anti-Rattle Clutch Clip - $3 for the clip installed for free.

Front Tire - $175 installed for free since I was doing the service.

Brake Flush ā€“ Bikes 10 years old and I bet it has never been done - $83

Total original work I wanted done around $700, not a small sum but I think it was time to show the bike some love.

Now I get the call. Jack from the HD dealership. We have some issues, he starts going over what they found and I will admit at first I was thinking what we all start thinking, really? Are they trying to take me? But as we start talking he goes over everything then he says, look I know this is a lot of money, you need to talk with your wife and I want you guys to come done so I can show you everything before you make any decisions.

So, I call my wife and asked if she could get off work early and after I told her what was going on she said you bet.

This what he shows us:

Rear Brakes and Break Rotor. I just had the rear tire and breaks replaced about a year ago (at a different place) and the brakes were worn down almost to the metal and the rotor is pitted and warped. $275

Primary Leak. He also showed us where the leaks were coming from. $438

Rocker Box Leak. Again, he took the time and showed us where the leeks were. $250
Throttle/Idle Cables. They pulled them to lube them and man, were they fraying. $221.

Now total is around 2K but what are you going to do? My wife said it was worth it because she knows I love to ride and she was more concerned about safety and the longevity of the bike.

Just wanted to share.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: 20K Maintenance turns into 2K job
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
Ray, that is well worth the money, considering you get a lot  of pleasure out of that bike.  That alone makes it worth it.   But, throw in the fact that your safety is priceless, it's even more worth the money spent!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
Harley's hold and even gain in value as time goes on so IMHO it is a good investment.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
You forgot to add in the (not inconsiderable) cost of the "official gear" (t-shirts, etc.) you'll have to buy to pass the time while waiting for the service. It's all part of the HD ownership obligation/mystique. Them folks ain't stupid.  Expensive, but not stupid.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
RAD you know as well as anyone,  if you're going to ride and live long, you gotta be safe! That money for repairs is a good investment on your life and Mrs RAD's life too! 8)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
Yep owned a few bikes and yes they are not cheap to keep up.   But safety is and always will be the number one for spending time and money on a bike   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:18 AM »
Thanks everyone and yes it wasn't a happy decision but an easy one. After seeing everything we told him to start the work. I should have it back sometime this week. That $$$ could have gone for a couple of nice grills  ::)
Love to cook and eat

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »
On the bright side......at least you didn't have to buy wiper blades  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Iceman1955

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »
On the bright side......at least you didn't have to buy wiper blades  ;D

Wiper blades.... Maybe not, but extra tooth paste to clean the bugs out from grinning to much as he rides down the road, yes!  :D