Author Topic: Hey Y'all  (Read 9414 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Hey Y'all
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Hey Y'all.  I apologize for being away so long. I'll bring you up to date on what's been going on.

This post will tell you some things only four people know about...my wife, two daughters, and son in law. My wife knows all of it and the other three know most of it.  I wasn't going to tell y'all about it but Don said it maybe a good idea that it may help someone else.

As many of y'all know, about four years ago I developed Type II diabetes.  When it was discovered by the doctors at the Army hospital the numbers were higher than they had ever seen and said if I had not come in when I did I may not have made it over two months longer.  I followed all the programs they set forward and in less than a year I was completely diabetes free.

Also, doing that time I had a few skin cancers that turned out benign and were removed.

About two and a half years ago I was told I  had prostate cancer and it was stage 1.  The Army said it was a result of Agent Orange in Viet Nam.  I don't believe that. Agent Orange is blamed for a lot of things.  I   think it was something different. I think God called St. Peter over and said "Pete, I think I over did it with Dee Stafford.  I gave the boy good looks, strong brain, and excellent health.  It ain't right one man should have all of that in one package.  I think I'll knock down some of that health.  Let's give him a dose of prostrate cancer."  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The treatment was to watch the PSA because the cancer is slow growing.  When they initially found it they had taken six probes in the prostate and one was cancerous.  Well, since that time we have been watching it and things were gradually going pretty good and it was treated with some pills. Last month the PSA increased significantly and a saturation biopsy was scheduled.  In that one 12 probes are taken.  That was about three weeks ago and I'm waiting on the results.  The last time took awhile also because they had to send them off to CA to make sure.  I guess I'll call this week to see what's going on. There are only two options: radiation and operation to take the prostate out.  I don't want to go through the radiation and the doctor, who is great, said I'm butting against the upper limit of the age to have the operation.  So, I guess that will be done pretty soon.

About six months ago some tests showed some concern with my kidneys and scheduled me to see a kidney doctor.  By the way, they  don't  call it the kidney clinic.  It's got a fancy name--Nephrology Services. The doctor did some more tests and said the diabetes had left some scarring and cause a 40% reduction in my kidney function.  I recently went for either an MRI or CAT SCAN for another test. It maybe an MRI cause I didn't see any cats. I'm got to go back and see the results of that.  The bottom line is the kidney situation is still a work in progress and don't know what the level of concern is with it.

That brings me to the Gathering this year.  I know some of  y'all need to make reservations on planes to get the best deal pretty soon.  Right now, I don't know what is happening with all these tests and I would hate for y'all to schedule time off and transportation and then I not be able to handle things.  For that reason, I don't think we will be able to have the Gathering this year.  If things work out OK, we'll do it next year.  I'm sorry to tell y'all that but things are in a state of flux right now and I'd hate to see anyone lose money.

Well, that's about it. I'll do another post about the remodeling of our kitchen. It came out great even with the over budget and over time for completion.  My daughter worked up a post on it with pictures and I'll send them to Don and ask him to forward it to the site.

I'm sorry for the cancellation,

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Hey Y'all
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
The only important thing Dee is your health and taking care of it. This way the next gathering will be around a BBQ pit and not a casket.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
Dee,
You and your family are in our prayers.  My wife has not been to Augusta.  She'd love to visit, as long as it is NOT in a cabin at the lake.  Maybe we can schedule an informal (i.e., "small") get-together before it gets too hot.  Let me know if this would fit in your plans.  I may even be able to get Tee to join us.  I sure enjoy sitting down and chewing the fat with you.  We have both seen a few things in our lives.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Hey Y'all
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »
Praying for you Dee
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
Dee the most important thing right now is for you to take care of your health and family. Prayers your way...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
To heck withe the Fall Gathering - it is YOU we care about Dee.  I will second what Art said...Maybe we should plan a day to have as many come to Augusta  for lunch or dinner - and still have a "Fall Gathering".....?

Can I get some input from others on this?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
I am praying for you Dee. You have been the one guy that got me into this whole mess. Whatever I can do to help you, I will.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
Dee I will echo what Tim said, to heck with the Fall Gathering. Your health and well being is MUCH more important
that a BBQ get together! Our prayers are with you and your family!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
To heck withe the Fall Gathering - it is YOU we care about Dee.  I will second what Art said...Maybe we should plan a day to have as many come to Augusta  for lunch or dinner - and still have a "Fall Gathering".....?

I'm in Tim! Just give me a date!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »
We might want to make it a dual part event.  Dee could impart his wisdom and skills on posting pictures on the forum, then we can eat.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »

I'm in Tim! Just give me a date!

Heck - getting to Augusta is a LOT easier than the gathering place. I am up for that!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
In my family's prayers Dee.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
To heck withe the Fall Gathering - it is YOU we care about Dee.

Nah, I was in it for the Gathering.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
Let me know what you guys plan and I will see what I can do. Dee, sorry to hear all this but I love your spirit.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Northshore

Hey Y'all
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »
Dee, we haven't met in person yet someday I will see you at the gathering, but your only concern at this time should be your health and your family.  Thoughts and prayers with you,

Paul
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi