Author Topic: Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please  (Read 12259 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:13:01 AM »
I want to be able to make my own smoked fried chicken (if you haven't had it, OMG TRY IT) and am considering a fryer. What are some good things to know in advance? Can you only use oil once and then have to toss it? If so, sounds like it could get expensive. I watched a video for smoked fried chicken (look it up, you'll find it) where the guy did it in a kind of high stock pot. His reaction to the chicken when he tries it at the end is the same reaction I've had a few times. Lol.
Just looking for help in making a wise decision. I hear they can be a PITA. Good buys would also be appreciated. I will not spend a fortune on one though.
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:44:50 AM by Paul Hart »
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Hub

Re: Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:17:29 AM »
You can re-use the oil many times if you keep it covered (air degrades it) so look for a cover system or remove the oil between uses.  You can also buy filters to extend the life of the oil.  Strong flavor, like smoke or fish, will stay with the oil and make it somewhat "specialized".

Cleaning most fryers is a pain.  They get sticky/gunky anywhere the oil splatters.  Also, if you let the oil get too old and degrade it turns into super goo that has to be scraped out.

I have a small two-compartment fryer that I use infrequently but like.  I'd use it more often but having to clean it and then jar and store the oil takes a lot of the fun out of frying.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
I have a small two-compartment fryer that I use infrequently but like.  I'd use it more often but having to clean it and then jar and store the oil takes a lot of the fun out of frying.
Hub

I have a fryer that I use infrequently.  I just had to have one, so I used a Christmas gift certificate a number of years ago.  It turned out that it didn't get used for a really long time.  I was concerned about reusing the oil and storing the used oil, etc.  Clean up was and is a pain.  When I do decide to get it out, it stays out for a couple of days and I try to use it a lot to justify the work I know awaits me.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »
Fryers are good if you are going to use one more than once in a while. As others stated the oil can become thick over time and will take on the flavors of what your cooking if strong. I imagine the smoke flavor would do that. Then if you reuse the same oil for some French fries for example you might end up with smoked flavored fries. Could be a good thing depending on your point of view :P

The oil can be used more than once and strained through some cheese cloth in between uses. Or you can get something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Home-2-Quart-Stainless-Storage/dp/B00318C5P6

Having one with a lid is a must. Also a timer and a thermostat to control temp is nice feature. The one we use has that. The timer works good for frozen items that get deep fried for a minute or two.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
I have to go along with what the others said.

We got a small 6 qt. deep fryer mainly to fry fish, or battered fried veggies.   We have not used it in a long time because  first off, we just don't eat a lot of fried foods at home. Also cleanup is a pain, and if frying fish, the oil just gets wasted.

The biggest advantage with a deep fryer is that you have thermostatically controlled temperature versus putting a pot on the stove and trying to dial in the temp.  Otherwise, I think they're a pain. 

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
You do know that this can all be done on your kitchen stove for a lot less money and it will all clean up in the dishwasher.

http://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Stove/dp/B0030T1KRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429872195&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+fryer+for+kitchen+stove
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
You do know that this can all be done on your kitchen stove for a lot less money and it will all clean up in the dishwasher.

http://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Stove/dp/B0030T1KRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429872195&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+fryer+for+kitchen+stove

I am with Dave on this...because I have the same/similar experienced voiced by others.
Most of us avoid a lot of fried foods - so that we can have more birthdays  ;)....But as a treat - fried foods just can'r be beat!

I bought a deep fryer - 2 years ago...I have used it once. and it is a P.I.A. to clean up. several parts  - all by hand, and not much of it can go in the dishwasher.....but the item Dave points to could be much easier to use, and maybe even do double duty as a steamer on occasion. Heck - looks Like I am going to Craigslist my deep fryer - and order one of these! :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
I was in the same boat but a fryer doesn't make a lot of sense. I use my dutch oven for deep frying and it does a great job.
I also have the 10 inch lodge cast iron chicken fryer, which doubles as an "WOK".

As for re-using oil, I do that all the time, re-use it many many many times as long as you're frying below the oil's smoke point you'll be just fine. Run it through  a coffee filter while it's still warm.

Seafood is an oil killer. You can either fry a potato or a piece of ginger after frying seafood to clean out the flavor or keep special oil for frying seafood.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
Like several others, I do have a dedicated deep fryer. It has a digital control and holds the temp very well. It works just like it should. Unfortunately, I do not use it often enough to save the oil, it is a pain to clean, and takes up a bunch of space - not my wisest purchase. I actually find myself using a pan on the stove ore often than pulling this out.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
The biggest advantage to having a deep fryer for me is that I can use it on my island or even outside and not make a mess on my stove (even though I prefer shallow frying or pan frying as an option).  The other reason to have one is Buffalo wings.  They are simply not right done any other way IMHO.  That link that Dave posted looks like a nice little unit.  I might look into that.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »
I usually use my Le Creuset for frying but I have a  small Nesco..only holds a couple of cups of oil. i filter and reuse it, except for fish oil. It heats up in 5 minutes. I love it but have to make small batches of whatever.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
WE still use our fryer somewhat regularly, primarily for tortilla shells and potatoes.  I used to have a oil turkey fryer as well, but finally ditched it for a TBE and a SRG.  Now I "Fry" all my chicken in that, and it works pretty well.
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
 This is what I use to fry in on the very rare occasion I fry.   If you fry outside the cleanup is much easier...   

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »
I use a discontinued Coleman portable fryer that uses one pound containers of propane......I don't use it often but it makes great fries & Wings when I Tailgate.  It also has the cool factor!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 03:55:43 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm about to check out that link that was posted. What's so unhealthy about fried chicken?  ;)
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch