Author Topic: Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please  (Read 12257 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm about to check out that link that was posted. What's so unhealthy about fried chicken?  ;)

Fried chicken is not unhealthy IMHO if done right. When deep frying anything that contains a lot of moisture like chicken the moisture in the chicken reaches boiling temp. Then it will steam and travel outward from the chicken. This allows a barrier to form around the chicken where the chicken cooks in the oil but the oil does not go into the chicken. Once the moisture starts to dissipate the oil gets into the chicken. Then it is unhealthy. So deep fried chicken that has been cooked to long is unhealthy. Finding that right timing is tough. You don't want the chicken undercooked but not past the steaming point either.

And the skin is not the healthiest for you regardless of fried or not. If you don't eat the skin then it is good again. But who would do that? :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »
 One of the easiest fryers to clean is the EZ Pro 3litre from T-fal. It has a filtered drain built in and once you pour your cooled filtered oil back in the jug you just throw everything in the dishwasher except the element which cleans with paper towels.

"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm about to check out that link that was posted. What's so unhealthy about fried chicken?  ;)

There's nothing unhealthy about fried chicken IF done at the right oil temperature and used a good fat. The hydrogenated garbage, that's another story.
Folks out there act as if fried chicken absorbs all the oil used to fry it. Plus the right fat is an essential part of human life.
I digress!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I love deep fried food and have had several fryers over the years. My last one was a Waring commercial type that did a great job. My worse complaint was the waste of oil, I didn't strain and store right, so my fault. Also hated the smell in the house after for a couple of days. I either gave my Waring away or it's in the garage. I now have a Lodge basket that works in my 6 qt. Dutch oven or 10 inch chicken fryer and will only use outdoors in the summer. Mostly we go out or get carry ins for deep fried food. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »
I have had a couple of deep fryers over the year and to me they are a PIA. I mostly use cast iron cookware out on my Camp Chef stove on the deck or in bad weather inside on the stove. I mostly use some of our old skillets to fry and don't do that much "deep" frying. This is a pretty good deep fryer we use a good bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-3-Quart/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429984503&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+3+quart+chicken+fryer

When I want something really deep, I use a cast iron dutch oven.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »

There's nothing unhealthy about fried chicken IF done at the right oil temperature and used a good fat. The hydrogenated garbage, that's another story.
Folks out there act as if fried chicken absorbs all the oil used to fry it. Plus the right fat is an essential part of human life.

Well said!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline renoman

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
Deep fried walleye done in a turkey fryer. Maybe not so good for you but OMG is it delicious! We have a fish and chip fry a couple times a year out at the lake and for some reason everyone wants to come out that weekend.

Offline Northshore

Should I buy a deep fryer? Pros and cons please
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »
A Chinese couple I worked with some time ago told me to cut quarter size pieces (3-4) of fresh ginger and put in oil ,as it cools down after use ,qto remove flavors of whatever was cooked in oil so it could be used more than once. It has worked for me.  I use a cast iron Dutch oven or chicken fryer most of the time but also have a masterbuilt electric turkey frier for big groups.

Paul
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »
A Chinese couple I worked with some time ago told me to cut quarter size pieces (3-4) of fresh ginger and put in oil ,as it cools down after use ,qto remove flavors of whatever was cooked in oil so it could be used more than once. It has worked for me.  I use a cast iron Dutch oven or chicken fryer most of the time but also have a masterbuilt electric turkey frier for big groups.

Paul
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Interesting - I will try that - thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
Deep fried walleye done in a turkey fryer. Maybe not so good for you but OMG is it delicious! We have a fish and chip fry a couple times a year out at the lake and for some reason everyone wants to come out that weekend.

Darn reno that sure looks good!!! I miss my neighbor who always deep fried Lake Erie walleye and perch all afternoon on Labor day every year, all you could eat! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
I, too, have a dedicated two-basket deep fryer that I rarely use... it lives in the garage.

If I'm deep-frying I usually use a 6 1/2 quart deep skillet or a wok. It's just easier and the results are just the same.

The key to deep-frying is temperature management. If the oil is not hot enough, you end up with soggy, greasy food. If it's too hot the food burns before being completely cooked. Usually you need to let the oil come back up to temperature before cooking a second batch of food. My target temperature is 350 - 375 degrees F.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
I, too, have a dedicated two-basket deep fryer that I rarely use... it lives in the garage.

If I'm deep-frying I usually use a 6 1/2 quart deep skillet or a wok. It's just easier and the results are just the same.

The key to deep-frying is temperature management. If the oil is not hot enough, you end up with soggy, greasy food. If it's too hot the food burns before being completely cooked. Usually you need to let the oil come back up to temperature before cooking a second batch of food. My target temperature is 350 - 375 degrees F.

Excellent points - the main reason I bought the dedicated deep fryer - temperature control. Having said that, I still find it easer / quicker to use my DeBuyer deep skillet and a thermometer. While I like the control of the digital unit - I prefer the easy set up, amount of oil I need to use and the clean up of the pan. And the oil continues to season my mineral iron pan -  ;D
Member #