Author Topic: They say all dogs go to heaven  (Read 6542 times)

Offline KyNola

Re: They say all dogs go to heaven
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
Tim I am so sorry for your loss of Roscoe.  A little over a year ago I held my white Scottie while she crossed the rainbow bridge.  If he sees a white Scottie, her name is Sasha.  And don't worry Tim, Sasha will take good care of Roscoe and show him around.

My deepest sympathies to your family and you.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 10:10:03 AM »
It's hard to type through tears. Sorry for your loss.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
Sorry for your loss. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »
So sorry for your loss Tim. I know how hard it is.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
Thanks folks.....

This is a bit of a long winded story about how we came to be Roscoe's family -
I have had dogs my entire life, but - this one was "special". We would tease that he was most often "short bus special", in that he never knew we even had a TV - while the other dog would genuinely watch a program with you.  He would often turn his head and slam his nose on a corner - as if he never figured out how long his face was....And tho he was bred for being the all around hunting and companion dog - Roscoe would scare up a nest of baby rabbits - and run screaming and peeing as if they attacked him! :D :D :D
And yet - he had moments of savant like brilliance. He figured out how to open doors and let himself out of the house. The first few times - I thought the possibility of someone being in our house was real, and a serious firearm equipped search of the premises ensued - until I caught Roscoe opening a door. It made me feel as foolish as Elmer Fudd in one of the "hunting episodes".... :D

How he came to live with us:
When Tropical Storm Ivan moved thru here in 2004 we had some severe flooding - I had some property that I leased for a flying club, and it was river bottom land ( the only flat land we have here...). Fearing that the folks that live on the property might be in trouble, I took a pump and a generator out there. When I got to them, there was a skinny, cut, and beat up looking Weimer keeping his distance at 20-30 yards but nervously watching me.  I asked the folks when they got a Weimer - they replied they didn't, but someone had dumped him after obviously abusing him. He kept begging to come in the house, but they had no room, and stated when the water receded they would take him to the dog pound.

So as I turned my back, and grabbed  the generator, and swung it around out of the truck - I saw a brown streak out of the corner of my eye, and I turned to see that he had kept into the truck and hunkered down in the front corner of the bed , behind some boxes. The property caretaker then laughed and said  - "Looks like YOU have a Weimer now..."
Here is the eerie part. My wife had every William Wegman book in print, and always loved them when we would see one in public ( Wegman is the fellow that dresses Weimers up as people and such - and photographs them), and had always admired the breed. She was at a nurses convention - and I decided to go straight to the vet with him. I told the vet" Larry - I am gonna pay you in cash, and in exchange you will forget this ever occurred and you will find him a home - if when you examine him you find that he has heart worms, hip dysplasia, insanity, or any identifiable defects". He agreed - tho he thought I was being pretty harsh, if not a complete jerk ( it is a natural talent I suppose.... :-\ ) - but I explained I wanted to save my wife from any hurt and not take home a dog that would only be ill and cause great heartbreak.
The vet called me a couple of hours later - and said "I finished with the dog - and there is only one thing wrong with him..He needs a home - now, bring me my #$%^ money.... :D."

So, I took him home. The wife was beside herself and overjoyed and he took to her immediately But -it took about a year before I could reach out and pat him on the head with out him squatting a peeing out of fear - he had been abused - apparently by a man - that badly.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
So sorry for your loss, dogs like that are hard to see suffer and harder to let go
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
I take back every bad thing I have ever said about you Tee. You are a good man.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Tim, Wendy and I are setting here all misty eyed after reading about the trials your family went through. We had to have a hospice vet come last year and put our neighbors dog down while she was in the hospital. It is a gut wrenching decision, but it was made with Roscoe's best interest in mind.

We can all smile and feel a little better knowing their souls are in heaven and when we pass we can all resume our "Time Together"

Time Together

Roscoe, though you sleep
On our guru's lap now
All we see everywhere is you
As we recall our time together

Lucky is how we felt
The day we found you
And we were such a happy three
O how we loved our time together

Why must the Present
Turn to Past so fast?
The disappearing Now
I wish I had a golden bough
To bring you back somehow

Someday when all our hearts
Are reassembled
Love will connect us once again
And we'll resume our time together
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
What a beautiful tribute to his sweet soul.
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
Tim and Kaye, sorry for your loss of Roscoe. He gave you many memories that wll live forever.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »
Tim condolences to you and your wife during this tough tough time. We were both saddened to hear of Roscoe's passing. All they ask of us is love and they pay us back tenfold! You saved this guy and gave hime a great life, I'm sure he always knew that.
  We went thru this almost 2 years ago, almost identical circumstances. It was maybe the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. But for my best friend I would do anything! We owe them and we do what is in their best interest.
Tim we hope that in time the sadness, of missing your best buddy, will fade and all the great memories bring satisfying smiles to both of your faces! Hang in there buddy!
RIP Roscoe

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
I'm truly sorry for your loss Tim. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
Crying all over again....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »
Why do I continue to read the new posts in this thread?  I'm just treating myself badly.  How odd.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
My fault Paul and David....Really, he had a great life, the best of care ( health insurance, the best of care and 4 beds in the house - PLUS he slept between me and the Mrs. :D ::) ) so, I should have tweaked the closing of my original post - to focus on how good his life - and ours were because of the events of divine providence which brought us together.

The road may seem to go one forever - but eventually the party ends for us all. But while he was here - it was a party of epic proportion ;D

What more can any of us wish for?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401