Author Topic: Mother's Day Prime Rib  (Read 4740 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Mother's Day Prime Rib
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Thank you to Jaxon - because of his encouragement I am a solid SV convert. One of the things I've found, because of the long swim times, I don't have to marinate or let rubs sit so long in the fridge, the SV process seems to do a nice job of getting the flavor into the meat. Just need a way to finish it to get the sear or crust or whatever you are looking for. I have not gotten into torching as I find my CI pan or grill do a fine job of finishing the protein.

When I am roasting vegetables (which I really enjoy), it is perfect - as they come close to finishing, I can add the meat and get a great crust while they finish.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
I usually don't comment on sous vide since I don't do it; but for Mother's Day I will. The breakfast and meal looks delicious David, some great cooking!!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
Like Smokin Don I usually don't comment on sous vide but that looks really good David  ;)

But being married to Kimmie I would have to break out an iron skillet and kill the prime rib :( :( :( :( :(  cause she wouldn't touch it  :-[
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Very nice pics of food, family, and of course Roscoe!
The meal looked excellent David! Great job!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
That looks great David. I could have eaten that 4 bone roast all myself.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
That is one great looking PR.
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
Can't afford to do PR often - but am so glad to have learned about SV - perfect pink edge to edge and on the cast iron pan I can get a great crust all the way around and finish some slices a bit more for the outlaws.

Have to say, it was even better tonight - Karen made a steak salad - warmed the PR leftovers a bit then added to a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes and avocados - a balsamic vinaigrette - perfect. Sorry, no pictures, I was on a client call while she made it and she is NOT into taking pictures of food...  ??? ;D - but the extra day of ruminating in the fridge really highlighted the flavor and tenderness.

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
Exceptional thread!.Great pics,lovely people and pets,perfect food,man alive you hit it 100% on everything,WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline DonR9

Mother's Day Prime Rib
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
Wow! I tried SV about a year or so ago and gave up on it. Based on your commentary I may give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Wow! I tried SV about a year or so ago and gave up on it. Based on your commentary I may give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Don, it took a lot of nudging, especially from Jaxon, but I finally jumped in  ;) ;D. And I am glad I did. I have found so many ways to try different foods - really enjoying it. I encourage you to give it another go - and the prices have come down a lot. Let us know if you decide to try it again.
Member #