Author Topic: Online Butcher?  (Read 57241 times)

Offline MikeC01

Online Butcher?
« Reply #-1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »
Butcher shops seem to be a dying breed in my neck of the woods and I can't find one for miles around.  I've also checked Costco and other local stores but have yet to find a Prime grade packer brisket.  I've even been to Restaurant Depot. 

So, I'm thinking there must be someplace online to order such things at a reasonable price (I've seen the Snake River Farms site).  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Online Butcher?
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
I saw prime grade briskets at Costco in Fontana, Ca yesterday. Maybe you have to ask at the Costco near you??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
If you know someone that works at a restaurant ask them to check with Sysco or their supplier.
 Chris has ordered several pigs and steaks for me through them that were outstanding.
 They only sell wholesale unless you can meet the salesman or get a restaurant to order for you though.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
Mike - look into Restaurant Depot, and Chefs Store . Rest. Depot requires you to have a business license in the food business but Chefs Store does not.
You may have a location for one of these near you .
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
Not sure if this is any good but I remember seeing this on some news show and forgot about it until you posted this

http://www.gfbutchershop.com/
Love to cook and eat

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:25 PM »
I saw prime grade briskets at Costco in Fontana, Ca yesterday. Maybe you have to ask at the Costco near you??

I had just been to Costco right before I started this thread.  I asked one of the folks in the meat dept. about it and was told they don't stock prime grade briskets.

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »
Mike - look into Restaurant Depot, and Chefs Store . Rest. Depot requires you to have a business license in the food business but Chefs Store does not.
You may have a location for one of these near you .

There's an RD right around the corner from me.  A friend of mine lets me borrow her card to go shopping.  I've never seen prime grade meat there and I once bought a choice grade brisket and it was $5/pound.

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
If you know someone that works at a restaurant ask them to check with Sysco or their supplier.
 Chris has ordered several pigs and steaks for me through them that were outstanding.
 They only sell wholesale unless you can meet the salesman or get a restaurant to order for you though.

Sounds like I might have to make a friend in the restaurant industry.  ;D

On a side note . . . it would be great if this forum did multi-quote like some other ones I post on.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Funny that y'all should post this today. I was just reading in the Houston Comical...er, I mean Chronicle....that a new butcher shop/ restaurant will open in Houston next Tuesday. They will be offering dry-aged meats and specialize in custom hand cuts from whole animal butchery. They plan to cure their own meat and make sausages. They will only offer the finest USDA Prime beef and they will be dry-aging in house. They will offer Texas Wagyu beef as well as Japanese Kobe beef. I see in another topic that Costco is selling prime briskets for $3.39/lb., but I bet the beef from this butcher shop won't be below $25/lb. They said the restaurant steaks will be around $75. I'm going to try to window shop this place next week. They probably ask for a financial statement at the door so I won't be able to get in. Oh, the name of the place will be B & B Butchers and Restaurant.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »

Sounds like I might have to make a friend in the restaurant industry.  ;D

On a side note . . . it would be great if this forum did multi-quote like some other ones I post on.
[/b]

It does. Just scroll down the page where you are creating a post, and click on the "Insert Quote" button on each one you wish to include in your post. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32:44 PM »
... Costco is selling prime briskets for $3.39/lb...

Really?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
The prime ones I saw looked to be smaller (maybe 10-11 lbs), I didn't have my readers with me, but Wendy said they were 60.00.........they were marked prime though.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:45:54 AM »
... Costco is selling prime briskets for $3.39/lb...

Really?

Really!

Credit SPAM for the pic. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »
Costco's prices are different in each area depending on various things including median income. Where I live they seem to think people have money because I have never seen a price that low... Especially for prime!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
Costco's prices are different in each area depending on various things including median income. Where I live they seem to think people have money because I have never seen a price that low... Especially for prime!

That is interesting Muebe. I thought the meat would be through the roof in Fontana........all new big fancy homes everywhere the eye could see.....but that briskie was in my wheelhouse...........it is cheaper in the Inland Empire all the way around from what we have seen so far.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven