Author Topic: Beef Short Ribs?  (Read 961 times)

Offline robertwhite

Beef Short Ribs?
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
Keeping in mind that I live in the South and in the sticks, where should I be able to source nice big beef short ribs? We have a Kroger, but don't ever recall seeing any there.
Little bit of talkin', lotta bit of listen'

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Beef Short Ribs?
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:25:54 AM »
If you have a butcher anywhere nearby, that'll be your best option. If you don't, then talk to someone in Kroger's meat dept and see if they can't get you some short ribs.  My butcher almost always has them.

Just keep in mind that they are a very fatty cut, coming from near the belly or plate area, so they have to be cooked long enough to render the fat.

But man are they a delicious, and very beefy tasting cut!

I'll be posting a braised short rib cook I did recently.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:54:29 AM »
If you have a butcher anywhere nearby, that'll be your best option. If you don't, then talk to someone in Kroger's meat dept and see if they can't get you some short ribs.  My butcher almost always has them.

We don't have a Kroger's, but a similar type of store - CUB. I find that simply explaining what you are looking for to the folks in the meat department - they will usually do their best to help out - often this means allowing some time for the special order or cut - but they are genuinely interested in helping. I find the same sort of service at my local butcher. I just can't hope to have a spur of the moment cook - might take a few days to get the meat, but well worth the effort. It's a good reason to find and stay with a couple of butchers or markets - when they understand your loyalty, they are much more willing to help find what you are looking for.

Tent - I am looking forward to that post!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline robertwhite

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »

Just keep in mind that they are a very fatty cut, coming from near the belly or plate area, so they have to be cooked long enough to render the fat.

But man are they a delicious, and very beefy tasting cut!

Thanks Cliff. I am looking forward to your braised rib post.

There is a local butcher who opened a couple years ago, but his pricing on regular junky USDA Inspected meat is higher than Costco's Prime. I can imagine what a special order would be.  ::)

Offline robertwhite

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
We don't have a Kroger's, but a similar type of store - CUB. I find that simply explaining what you are looking for to the folks in the meat department - they will usually do their best to help out -

Good idea. The meat guy at Krogers seems nice enough, so I will give that a shot. Worst he can do is say no.

Any idea as to what they should cost?