Author Topic: Kenny "Snake" Stabler, Dead at 69 Years of Age  (Read 2976 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Kenny "Snake" Stabler, Dead at 69 Years of Age
« Reply #-1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »
To all football fans, the Snake has passed away.  He provided lots of excitement, both in college and the pros.  He will be missed.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Kenny "Snake" Stabler, Dead at 69 Years of Age
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
Yes, he will be missed...And, I suppose I will never collect on the bad check he wrote me late one nite at the Orange Beach Marina restaurant back in the '80s.
Kenny lived on Ono Island, just off of Gulf Shores AL, and ...he liked his liquor. He ran out of cash, and asked me if I could cash a check. I obliged....And the the check was high quality rubber....

I still laugh when I think about it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:42:56 PM »
Great left handed quarterback, he played for the Raiders when they were a cast of also rans and characters. You put them in silver and black and they played their hearts out................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »
Tee I'm sure it was far more.entertaining than if I floated you a bad check!  :D

He was a hard partier but when he was on he was pretty damned exciting to watch!
RIP Snake

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
Tee I'm sure it was far more.entertaining than if I floated you a bad check!  :D

He was a hard partier but when he was on he was pretty damned exciting to watch!
RIP Snake

Agreed....I shared the story - not to disparage him, but add to his "legendary character". He was everybody's friend at the bar, always seemed in good humor, and was very approachable to all the locals.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »
The Raiders were the enemy, but I still loved Stabler.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:36 AM »
Met Kenny and shared beers with him at the FloraBama bar on several occasions. He was a nice guy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
It's bad when your quasi- peers start dying off too young...not even middle aged yet.  Guess God needed a good left-handed quarterback---or is it the devil? 
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
Who can forget the Stabler to Biletnikoff sideline passes. (stickum or no stickum)
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
Remember him when he was back up quarterback to Joe Namath at university of Alabama. Joe left and Stabler was in ...me and my son still talk about those days. Another good one gone !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »
When we first met him we went to the bar and sat a couple of stools down from some old white haired guy, didn't recognize him. The FloraBama had just opened for the day and nobody was there. I could tell the bartender was kind of hovering close, I guess she wanted to make sure we did not harass him. He turned around and made some small talk, asked if we came down much and I said we liked to come in early before it gets crazy and he said me too. Then he stuck out his hand and introduced himself. All I could think was "God don't let me make a fool of myself". I told him he was my favorite Alabama quarterback ever but I didn't really watch much NFL, so much for not making a fool of myself. He laughed.and we shot the shot for a while till people started.coming in and crowding him. We saw him a couple  of more times down there and always acted like he remembered us although I know he did not remember our names.  A few years later when Birmingham had one of their doomed startup wanna be pro football teams he was doing the color announcing. He came down to the concession stand my kids high school was running to get a hot dog. Everybody was freaking out but I handed him his hotdog and said "how you been doing?", he looked at me and said FloraBama, I as almost speed my pants. Long but true story.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 09:56:57 PM »
Neat story Ken!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
Great story Ken.  I had always said I'd never make a fool of myself when I saw a celebrity or someone famous.  When the Army sent me to the University of Alabama in '73-'75 to get a piece of paper saying I was smart, I was driving to school one morning and stopped at a traffic light and looked in the car next to me and it was Joe Namath! As we both had our windows down,  as calm and cool as I could  be I said, "HEY JOE! HOW ARE YOU DOING?" waving like a little school girl.  Boy, I blew that coolness.  He just said fine and waved.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers