Author Topic: I like humor?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
I like humor?
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:17 AM »
Yes I like humor but where is the BBQ and cooking been lately? Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline BAM1

Re: I like humor?
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
Sorry but I agree with Don.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
I do agree, but in my case the pain from my back and knees have kept me from grilling like I want to.   :(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
Don's point is not only valid...it has been a concern of mine for quite some time.

I see that LTBBQ has become a real community - of friends. And sometimes, as friends - we forget that the first purpose of a "meeting place" like LTBBQ - is to bring ideas, suggestions, recipes, and photos of and about cooking. That is why new members come here, and mostly why they wish to engage in conversation here.

But, the fact that humor is so prevalent is a sign of the friendly, and fun loving nature of most folks here. And - that too is "attractive" to  new members. We have to keep growing the site in order to keep it alive. That is the nature of all things. Nothing is static.  "Grow - or die " rules almost everything in our world.

So - let's try to encourage one another to prioritize on FOOD first...HUMOR, second. We don't want to discourage anyone from participating, or feel like LTBBQ is becoming "too serious"....but just think about adding to the quality of our content here as key to continued growth.

Again - let's all have fun, remembering that LTTBQ is all about "Food, Fun, and Fellowship"...in that order.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
I enjoy humor in fact it surely makes life much easier!  But I do agree with Don on this. So I looked at the numbers,  as of today we have nearly 1100 members.  Yesterday being Sunday we had only 14 members on at any one time. But yet on February 15, 2012 there were 50 members on at the same time with get this.....74 members signed up. It clearly proves more members does not relate to more food discussion.  :-[

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »
Glad I am not the only one, I didn't want to sound like an old grump!  ??? My main concern was it is hard to keep up with the cooks when the unread posts are full of fun & humor posts. I do post to the humor sect. and Quote of the Say once in a while. Life and cooking without humor would be dull! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
I honestly have been working way too many hours at work to even cook for myself lately and it does not seem to be letting up. Guess I should not complain because at least I have a job. Then I have my kids to tend to so I have not been able to contribute much at all. I do enjoy the humor posts myself because really this is the only form of social media I use. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or others.

Decreasing posts about humor will not increase posts about cooking IMHO.

There is a core group of members here that have known each other for years. I think that is why there are so many different posts about subjects that are not directly cooking related.

People have other activities like gardens for example. I enjoy those posts too.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »

Don't misunderstand what I wrote. I think all of the humor is fine...As long as we don't forget that LTBBQ exists for the priority of cooking. When we get that confused, and humor becomes the priority - it discourages new members who come here to learn about and sure cooking ideas...first.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
We have a very well rounded forum and while I cant Que as much as I would like, funny stuff pops up more often and if family friendly, I toss it on here.........

I am trying to get my Que Mojo back though, so give me time............. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
This has been a long, hot summer already, and it is only Mid-July.  All this week the heat index will be near 105*.  At my age, I get notices from the weather service to stay indoors...sometimes I listen to 'em.

I have done extended cooks only three times in the last 4 weeks - 2 times last week I ventured out to cook butts for a family get-together.  What I'm sayin' is that it has been a long time since I've done enuff cookin' to talk about (who wants to hear about hamburgers).

All of the smokin' I do now is on the offset smoker.  Does anybody else use one of those?  Seems like everyone is using a PBC, and I don't have one.

When this heat wave breaks, I'll be back like a grillin' fool, but for now, it has put the brakes on.

Maybe I can post about what I learned from Aaron Franklin about workin' the offset.  It has revolutionized my cookin'.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »

Don't misunderstand what I wrote. I think all of the humor is fine...As long as we don't forget that LTBBQ exists for the priority of cooking. When we get that confused, and humor becomes the priority - it discourages new members who come here to learn about and share cooking ideas...first.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
I don't want to be misunderstood either. I was not trying to discourage posts on humor but want more members to get posting their cooks! I know not everyone likes taking pics of their food but try it, it can become habit forming! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:37:56 PM »
OK, I am probably going to get kicked off here. I enjoy seeing some funny posts, I enjoy seeing your kids, cats and dogs. I can even enjoy seeing you post a pic, this is my meat out of the fridge. This is a pic with salt and pepper, this is a picture on the grill and this a pic on the plate. I don't care as much about how good it looks as how you did it. As much as we make fun of Dee, I learned more from reading about his cooking than looking at pictures.  That said, I don't do SV cooking, I read the posts and some of them look really good, I am just more of a man, fire, food kind of guy.  My wife has her crock pot and I love what she cooks in it.i do love stuff deep fried in grease too. I am here for fun, fellowship and to learn about cooking and yes sometimes  to just shake my head and say "what the hell were they thinking". My wife thinks I am crazy and she is mostly right.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:54:38 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
With you, Ken, for the most part...
That's the main reason I follow Don's posts - and a few others...it's because of the step by step they include.
For others, I have to realize they are probably a lot like me and are in the learning phase ...Heck, I don't know enough to give the "how-to's".  I fortunate to get it to the table...REAL fortunate to get a camera on it.
So, for those who choose the simple posts, thanks...for the guys who crank out the good stuff - thanks.  Just keep adding the comments with the pics.

I'm done...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
ALL very valid points folks. And - for clarity - we will not be brow beating anyone ( tho it might be fun Ken...if you were wearing an Alabama shirt... :D :D :D) about how many posts they make in humor, but not as many in a food relevant section. Nor will we hammer someone that is not "camera savvy" - for not posting pictures. Sure - we will rib ya a little because pictures are worth a thousand words.

But it IS important that we include the recipe, or outline of what was done in a post -  in order to explain to others how to make the dish/dinner we are showing. This is all about the "quality of content" that makes for a good forum. Not negating the fun stuff - but it is the foundation that we need.

It would be easy to get things out of balance with allowing picture dumps - but that does not help anyone learn. And - only posting a text description can work, and be instructional.....and even better if it is possible to post some pictures. Hey - request assistance folks if you are having trouble with that - that is what we are here for.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:09:02 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401