Author Topic: Brisket. to inject or not to inject?  (Read 6722 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Brisket. to inject or not to inject?
« Reply #-1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:40:07 AM »
ok, I need some help.  I work in a bbq store.  we teach classes.  Saturday at 5 pm we are teaching a brisket class.  Saturday morning at 2 am I am putting two wagu briskets on my GMG jim bowie.  should I inject the briskets?  it's going down like this.

wake up and start up pit to 150°. 
take brisket out of frig and cut fat off except 1/4" of it on fat cap side.  score it 1/4" down.
put yellow mustard all over it.
a layer of bbq savor.  have espresso shot straight.  slap cold water on face. 
a layer of john henrys brisket rub.  two more shots of espresso.
on smoker for 2 hours @ 150° w/ water pan underneath them.
bump the temp to 250° until thick part of flat reaches 160°.  take off smoker.
separate the point and flat.
wrap flat up in butcher paper w/ 1/2 cup beef broth.  back on smoker.
cut up point into cubes and a heavy layer of bbq savor on them.  back on smoker.
take flat off when it is probe tender.
take burnt ends off when I get tired of eating them or very, very soft.

what do ya'll think about my plan?  any help would be useful.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:02:18 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Brisket. to inject or not to inject?
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:22:37 AM »
My thoughts, no on injection.  Unless you are using it for a specific flavor profile, it is actually counterproductive to the process as it adds more water that is just going to need cooked out and increase the time even more.  Even if there were some ability for that liquid to saturate the meat and moisten it during the cooking process (a theory which countless studies have seemed to debunk), a well marbled piece of meat (like your wagyu LOL) would be creating all the moisture that it needs during the rendering process.  Which brings me to the burnt ends...  I love burnt ends, but I think you are wasting that wagyu by not cooking the packer whole and eating the point sliced.  Save the burn ends lesson for some choice (or even select) points.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
Sparky I think your process sounds pretty solid except the waking up at 2am idea. :P

I think Billy makes a good point about injecting. There is a lot of moisture that is pushed out of brisket over the entire cooking process. If there is a flavor profile you are looking for then maybe injecting at the end of the cook would work better. Then let the brisket cool completely before slicing.

I love burnt ends myself. I can't imagine how good waygu burnt ends would taste!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »
I have long maintained that injection is moisture insurance.  A Wayagu brisket isn't likely to need much, if any due to the higher fat content of the meat.  Thus, you can skip it.  I always inject brisket, but I buy mine at Sam's Club where the meat isn't so elite  ::)

As to flavor, I think injections should stay away from intense input.  The best injections are formulated to add very little or nothing to the flavor profile.  Butcher's and FAB made some of the best.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
One other thing Spark.  You mentioned adding broth to the wrap.  I don't like to wrap in the first place, but when I do there is a ton of moisture created without having to add any (even in butcher paper).  Again, in an instance like wrapping ribs or pork but and adding something to the wrap for flavor... understood.  With brisket, adding the same flavor liquid is just going to kill your bark with no other improvement.  All this is IMHO of course.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
Not an expert by any means but I didn't like the one I did where I injected.  I have only cook three of these and found the non injected worked better for me

Just my 2 Cents  :)   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
My briskets, like Hub's were not very "elite" also but came out very moist with a good rub and low and slow cooking. No injection needed.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »
Step slowly back from the needle Sparky. Wagyu doesn't need any help when it comes to moisture. Be prepared for a different flavor profile and really watch the internal temp. They can be tender as butter at the 175-180 mark......I would start probing around 165 and stay away from the thermos and go for tenderness....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
Thank you all for the input.  So, wrap at 160° or just cook straight thru?. I won't add any broth (thanks SB).
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »
  I have cooked a very few briskets now  4-5 I guess not including the corned beef versions.  I injected two of them and I don't think I will do it again.   I felt like they may have even been drier in fact because of the injection. 
  Good beef really doesn't need much of anything other than time and basic seasoning.  And yours is better than the ones I have used.

Your plan seems like a good one if you can figure a little nap time at some point... 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »
Thank you all for the input.  So, wrap at 160° or just cook straight thru?. I won't add any broth (thanks SB).

I would just let it roll especially since you are cooking on the GMG.  Maintaining moisture is hardly a problem in the pooper, so as long as cook time is not an issue I would rather have a better bark.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »
You won't need to wrap a Wagyu briskie.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
Thank you all very much.  No injection or wrapping.  Sounds like a ready easy cook to me.  At what point can I pull a FT out of the cooler in the morning?. That is why this is a great forum.  I got a problem and the family solves it.  Thank you my bbq family.  SB, Monday.  Been real busy.  You know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:42:24 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
Sparky only you will know when it's the right time to pull an FT out of the cooler!  But they always taste good so anytime is good! :D

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
Thank you all very much.  No injection or wrapping.  Sounds like a ready easy cook to me.  At what point can I pull a FT out of the cooler in the morning?. That is why this is a great forum.  I got a purple and the family solves it.  Thank you my bbq family.  SB, Monday.  Been real busy.  You know what I'm talking about.

Since you are starting at 2:00, you are on overnight shift drinking rules.  8:00 AM.  Oh, and thanks... no hurry.