Author Topic: BBQ Smoke causing problems..  (Read 5917 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
BBQ Smoke causing problems..
« Reply #-1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
I heard and saw a story about bbq restaurants and food trucks in Austin, TX located with in 100 feet of residential areas may have to have their smoke regulated because the smoke causes people not to be able to open their windows or sit in their back yards.

In FL, can't remember what town or city, people are getting tickets for not controlling the bbq/grilling smoke coming across property lines. In other words  you can smoke in your back yard as long as the smoke does not go out of your yard. I actually saw this happen on the 'net where a code enforcer came to a fella's house and wrote him up because of a neighbor's complaint...who by the way cooks outside also.

BOHIC

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: BBQ Smoke causing problems..
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
I have gotten 3 notices from the city.  we got a lawyer and the problem went away.  that's why we are moving to get some more land.  tired of ppl telling me when and where I can bbq.  I thought everyone bbqed everyday and a few week nights too.   :(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:30:50 PM »
Gone is the civil discourse form American society.......

I wonder when we will be charged fines for flatulence? If that becomes an issues...I remain hopeful that I can count on the fine members of LTBBQ for bail money...... :-[ ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You don't like my smoke, get the @@@@ out of this country...... >:( >:( >:( >:(

You can't find your way out of here, let The Smoke show you............... >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
Gone is the civil discourse form American society.......

I wonder when we will be charged fines for flatulence? If that becomes an issues...I remain hopeful that I can count on the fine members of LTBBQ for bail money...... :-[ ;D
Just raise Pappy's annual fee...  ;) ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
A well known BBQ rib place here was told they had to install scrubbers on there building or they would have to close.

The smoke from a BBQ place bothers people.   

I'd ask what's next but I'm afraid what the answer will be.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I have gotten 3 notices from the city.  we got a lawyer and the problem went away.  that's why we are moving to get some more land.  tired of ppl telling me when and where I can BBQ.  I thought everyone bbqed everyday and a few week nights too.   :(
That's what I'm talkin about, Doesn't everybody grill out daily? Any neighbor closer than 300 feet  is TOO close. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
 I saw where San Francisco (I think) has outlawed outdoor smoking in places.  That video of the Florida guy was on FB this week. Looks more like they have a crazy neighbor than anything. I don't think the county guys heart was in it. He was just the one stuck with the task. 

We have quite a few Customers who installed cameras (Looking next door) only so they could stick their noses in their neighbors business. You'll just have to fill in what I really think here...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

I have gotten 3 notices from the city.  we got a lawyer and the problem went away.  that's why we are moving to get some more land.  tired of ppl telling me when and where I can bbq.  I thought everyone bbqed everyday and a few week nights too.   :(

What was the violation? I weep for this country
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
Here is a link from the Florida nonsense. I wouldn't have let him on my property.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/27/florida-residents-warned-by-county-environmentalist-to-keep-barbecue-smoke-in/
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »
This country's gone nuts. They need keep on cooking
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
I can't speak to the Florida issues but I was in Austin (aka Berkley on the Colorado) in March and April when the City Council was debating the issue. There was only one neighborhood with one food trailer that was causing an issue and they agreed to move and then all the big places like Black's agreed to install scrubbers before they passed an ordinance. Of course they will most likely still pass an ordinance. I had to find a small house for me and my boss to live in so we could have the SRG, no grills in apartments in Austin. Some genius looked at a statistic that showed 80 percent of apartment fires are caused by cooking so they had to ban BBQ grills. Of course no one looked deeper at the study to see that 95 percent of those cooking fires were caused by the stove or oven.....

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »

What was the violation? I weep for this country

1st was air quality.  I was polluting the air with cherry and pecan smoke.
2nd was bbqing everyday and 3 overnight smokes in one week.
3rd was running a business out of my home.

Cops actually came to my house.  I let them in when I didn't have too.  I wanted this over.  They came in and went out in the backyard.  They laughed at all the smokers I had but knew I want running a business.  I was smoking ribs at the time.  I always smoke ribs.  They liked the ribs and took a half a rack with them.  They said not to worry about the neighbor's anymore. 
There are no restrictions on where or how much I cook on my backyard for the city I'm living in.  Then my wife got a lawyer.  My wife takes less sh!t than I do and had had enough.  The city and my neighbor's got a letter.  All is good now.  Love my wife.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 01:04:43 AM »
I think it is freakin pathetic that we even have to have this thread.

They get rid of the Confederate Flag and take off the Duke boys because some POS white trash loser poses with a Confederate Flag and then takes out nine colored folk. The Confederate Flag does not and has never stood for racism.

Now they are going after that wonderful BBQ smoke..............what is next......Mom, God, Apple Pie.............. >:( >:( >:( >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32