Author Topic: Char Broil Digital Electric Smoker  (Read 3253 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Char Broil Digital Electric Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
Looks Nice. Priced right. Looks like Char-Broil might have Masterbuilt in their sights.....

http://www.charbroil.com/products/smokers-and-roasters/vertical-smokers/deluxe-digital-electric-smoker
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Char Broil Digital Electric Smoker
« on: August 05, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
Drholly has a unit like this and loves it.   But I believe his does not have the glass front door.

HSN calls this "True Infrared" smoker which I can find NO person at CharBroil that will call it that.  I was told it is not infrared so buyer beware.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
Actually Tommy any electric heating element is infrared. Metal being heated by electrical energy or gas will produce infrared.

The unit looks solid. $300 seems reasonable for what your getting.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
I like the extra large smoker chip holder. Just wonder if it will all burn though...seems like you pile it up pretty high.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
Tommy is right. I have one of the test units - no glass (which does NOT bother me at all.) I use it primarily at 225 - 275 and it holds a steady temp (according to its own therm and one I put inside. Frankly, I don't care if it is infra red or not - I would buy it because it works.

I really like the idea of a stick burner - but know I won't have the patience to do it right. I like the concept of a pellet grill, but know I won't have the discipline to clean it properly. This just works great, makes good food with good smoke. I just tell myself - at the end of the cook, it is the taste and if my family and guests enjoy it, and they do, it is good. I can easily change the type of wood used for the smoke and the temp is steady.

It can go through a lot of wood / chips - but there is no need to load it full for a mild smoke. In a three plus hour smoke it will go through the entre box. So, load with that in mind. It s easy to keep clean, the door seals perfectly (problem with first version) and easy to set and use.

So, I have two "set and forget" cookers - this one and the PBC. Then I can play with my charcoal grills - hot and not hot sides, reverse sear, etc. And top it off with sous vide... if I could put them all in my kitchen, I would be a happy guy!

I save my "creativity" for my charcoal grills and pizza maker. Perfect for me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:25:13 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
I like the looks of it.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »
Actually Tommy any electric heating element is infrared. Metal being heated by electrical energy or gas will produce infrared.

I understand that it's infrared to a point,   60% all that's needed to call it an infrared unit. 

The issue I have is that CharBroil  (last I looked)  had nothing about it being infrared and even their own people say it's not yet HSN calls it Tru-Infrared 

Guess I'm just getting old and finding less tolerance in what I hear vs what's real or not real   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
I have a small Masterbuilt that comes in handy when cooking smaller items and I don't have the time to burn a fire or it is extra windy out. Polska Kielbasas come out real nice in the electric smoker. We cut em up and put em in soups or add them to noodles. This Char-Broil smoker is real nice looking.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »

I understand that it's infrared to a point,   60% all that's needed to call it an infrared unit. 

The issue I have is that CharBroil  (last I looked)  had nothing about it being infrared and even their own people say it's not yet HSN calls it Tru-Infrared 

Guess I'm just getting old and finding less tolerance in what I hear vs what's real or not real

I saw no mention of infrared either on the Char-Broil site. Maybe HSN messed up on the description??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
Not to knock it but this is the site.  No where on the body says Tru Infrared either

http://www.hsn.com/products/char-broil-tru-infrared-digital-electric-smoker/7729535

I was all about wanting one because it said "Tru-Infrared"  till I checked on it.  DrHolly and I had a few conversations about it

I would like to have one but was disappointed when I found out it was not really a tru infrared unit (meaning 100% infrared) :(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the reviews on this--I got an email bout it and have been wondering.   Preparing to move (not very far) to be closer to kids.   Have wanted an electric smoker for years.  This may be the one to buy, BUT, will wait n see, as the email allowed me to enter to win one.   Site says they are giving one away a day until Sept. 1, 2015.  Never one a thing in my life, so not holding my breath.   You might want to check it out.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
I have the old electric CB smoker and am happy with it..don't need the digital, it would be nice tho. I paid less then half of the going price and can make anything on it. 1st was a pulled pork , then brisket..both were outstanding. I also use it to cold smoke with in th winter.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline DAVE MAC

• MacLin Leisure Products
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
Hi all,
I purchased the deluxe unit with remote and glass in door directly from Char-Broil last week. Char-Broil had a 25% 0ff coupon $254.00 with freight. Arrived in 4 days. No assembly required. I am a Char-Broil man, Gas Smoker Roaster Grill, Electric Smoker Roaster, Gas Patio Bistro. First cook a 8lb butt, set at 225 deg , pulled at 200 IT. PERFECT. Extremely easy clean up. love this smoker!! Sorry about finish pics phone screwed up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
Good comments David and DAVE MAC. 

I have two Masterbuilts and love both of them and for all the reasons David point out.  The main one is I'm lazy.

I see the CB unit has some features that are better than the MB's and I think MB will catch on to them.  I would not hesitate to buy this CB unit if I needed another one. I would line some of the tray bottoms with foil to protect them because heat and juices have a tendency to eat aliminium( or however you spell it.)

One thing about the amount of smoke.  When I first started using my MB unit my food would sometimes taste like creosote.  It turned out I was oversmoking.  I wanted to see that smoke roaring out of the chimney  like Steve R's do on TV.  Well, that was a mistake.  I was mugging the meat with heavy smoke rather than gently carressing it with thin blue smoke.

I should have recalled that from my youngun days helping Daddy BBQ hogs over dug out  pits and never allowed to put too much heat underneath them. Of course, I'm probably the only one here who forgot/disregarded their Daddy's lessons.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Thanks for reminding us about oversmoking Dee. These electric units do not take that much wood to provide smoke. A little goes a long way...pretty much the rule with most smokers.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven