Author Topic: Braciole and meatballs  (Read 2612 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Braciole and meatballs
« Reply #-1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:36:42 AM »
Tomatoes galore from the garden (2 roma plants, 2 san marzano plants, 1 pink Cherokee plant for slicing, and 1 brandywine plant also for slicing) and onto my 3rd batch of sauce, I wanted to mix things up and make a meat gravy as my grandmom would call it.  For this I only use the san marzano and roma (aka plum)tomatoes. First I need to start the sauce so I coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil and turn the heat on very low.  Small dice half an onion and mince a bunch of garlic (probably 1/2-3/4 of a bulb).  Add them to the olive oil and let them melt into the oil.  Meanwhile boil some water and have an ice bath ready.  Make an "X" on the bottom of the tomatoes and add a few to the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then remove and dunk in the ice bath.  I do mine in batches for more control and keeping the sizes of tomatoes similar.  Bigger ones need some more time, than smaller ones. Once all the tomatoes have been quickly blanched the skins should easily peel right off. 

Before peeling the tomatoes back to the onion and garlic in the olive oil.  When they start to look soft, clear, and slightly brown (pictures would not help sorry it's just a look feel thing learned from my grandmom) I add 2-3 baby carrots depending on the amount I am making.  I also add dried oregano, dried basil, salt, pepper, and some crushed red pepper.  Keeping on low mix around so everyone gets happy in the pot.  At this point that is usually where I stop seasoning for my red sauce, however since I will be adding meat to this I also add some fennel seeds.  You can use fennel bulb instead of onion in the beginning and not use the fennel seeds, however I only do that when I am making this for a large group, and not just me.

Back to the tomatoes, peel and rough dice them.  I turn the heat to medium and add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer before lower the heat back down.   

Another only me eating this change.  I usually brown all the meat first before making the sauce so all the flavors are in the one pot, but I did started the sauce then added the meat to save me some time, as this usually takes me from sun up, until dinner time to make.

While the sauce was cooking away, I made the braciole.  I laid it on the cutting board, added garlic, Italian bread crumbs, salt, pepper, oregano, fresh parmesan cheese, and a couple raisins before rolling and toothpicking.  Then browned them in my cast iron before dropping them and the droppings into the sauce simmering away.

Next up were the meatballs, I used beef/pork/veal mixture, aka meatloaf mix.  I finely grate onion and garlic to almost a puree, and add fresh parmesan, fresh oregano, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 pieces of bread (per pound of meat) soaked in milk.  I mix all of that together before adding the ground meat mixture, and roll into balls.  I had some smoked Gouda and have stuffed meatballs in the past so I decided to use it up and added a cube of smoked Gouda to eat meatball.  I have used smoked mozz but the cheese melted out of the meatballs and made a mess.  It was good but the Gouda does not melt like mozz so it works much better.

Same thing with the meatballs, Cast iron then everything into the simmering sauce.

Stir everything once in a while so it cooks evenly but be careful not to damage the meatballs as they are fragile (fragiLAY).  When doing this for big events I also add both sweet and spicy Italian sausage and a bone in pork chop or two.  With the sausage if using links, half them, or if using the long rope about 3-4" pieces so people can mix and match.  I usually let it go for a few hours to make the meat is cooked and tender, and so the sauce can cook down and reduce.  Of course the more meat the longer it takes.  We always have it with rigatoni, fresh basil, fresh oregano, and freshly grated parmesan cheese with some bread.  I made some quick garlic bread (soften butter, garlic paste {garlic and sea salt mince and smash with knife until smoothish}, oregano, basil, then top the bread with cheese and bake).

Meatball cut in half to see the cheese inside:

I know this is a lot, but any questions with process just ask I will try to clear it up but this has been at least 15 years in learning and practice.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Braciole and meatballs
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:41:15 AM »
OMG does that look good. Fennel doesn't like me so I leave it out..other than that, our recipes are real similar. Have you ever used the fennel powder? maybe it's the seeds that don't like me.  Someone in here uses the powder..might be Smokin Don, maybe.   Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
Awesome!

That looks amazing!

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Yes, please!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:35:40 AM »
OK you sold me, now what time we eating??  ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »
Now THAT looks really good!!  Plate me!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
Bookmarked......For whenever my tomatoes get ripe. A month behind because of the cold spring here.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
OMG I would love a platter.
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
Looks great!  Nice job! Reminds me of our family's bi-monthly Sunday Gravy gatherings!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
Bookmarked. THAT is just awesome! Wow! I'm adding the sausage and the chops - that sounds delightful. Thank you.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »
Looks like a lot of work but it sure all looks delicious Ak!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
Whatever that is, it looks delicious. I must lead a pretty sheltered life because I have never heard of Braciole.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
Taking me back.  Slight variations in my house, but verrrry similar.

Oh, and we said "fra-GI-lay."  But that may be regional (Abruzzi) thing.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! This is my all-time comfort meal. I also forgot to mention I grew up eating chunky sauce/gravy, and that's how my wife likes it now, but you can use a stick blender to smooth it out if you choose.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »
Stand by while I wipe the drool from the corners of my mouth - WOW that looks good.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit