Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 3462 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
9-11
« Reply #-1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
I hate this day.
I remember what I was doing when I heard the news.
My American Blood still boils at the thought of it.

I hate this day
I Love my Country
I hate this day............

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:12:58 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: 9-11
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
I hate this day.

I hate this day
I Love my Country

I do to.   I know what I was feeling then and now every time I see 9/11 date come around

Wished we would have made an hour glass out of that region.   >:( >:( >:( >:(   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
I hate this day.

I hate this day
I Love my Country

Me too Smoke, I was at work and tried to keep up with the news on TV's we had in the break rooms.
A sad Day we should never forget. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:08:33 PM »
It's hard to know what to say.  I just bow my head and shed a few tears.   :'(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »
I will never forget it as long as I live, crying in our customer lounge watching the towers collapse on tv. There aren't even words to express my emotions that day.
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Pappymn

9-11
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
It still makes me cry and angry. Never forget
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
It still makes me cry and angry. Never forget

X2!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:44 PM »
I hate this day.

I hate this day
I Love my Country

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

I will never forget.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
I remember it well.. will never forget.

I was working and my youngest daughter was in school at NYU... she witnessed the towers collapsing.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
It's a bad day for all of us, I use it to replenish my anger and resolve to be ready for whatever happens whenever it happens. Especially when the rest of the country wakes up to the fact that we are at war whether we want to be or not.

Ok I'll get off the soap box for now.

Offline Northshore

9-11
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »

It's a bad day for all of us, I use it to replenish my anger and resolve to be ready for whatever happens whenever it happens. Especially when the rest of the country wakes up to the fact that we are at war whether we want to be or not.

Ok I'll get off the soap box for now.
I agree with the above statement completely. 
I was on the way to Canada for fishing when two of us in the party got the call and orders not to leave the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:09:26 PM »
I remember that day so well. Like it was yesterday....

Makes me sad that the unity this country had right after 9-11 was so short lived. It is now frowned upon by some to be proud of our country. The American Flag is offensive to some again :(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »
I remember that day so well. Like it was yesterday....

Makes me sad that the unity this country had right after 9-11 was so short lived. It is now frowned upon by some to be proud of our country. The American Flag is offensive to some again :(

:( :'(
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
I remember that day well.  I only had a few students in my class room at the time.  One of the security people came by my room and said I should turn on the TV.  I did.  Just in time to see the horror.  I remember shouting "NO!!"  I still tear up when I think about it. 

It's sad that our "elected officials" have forgotten about what happened that day.  They should be mad as h#ll like we are.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Hub

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
I still feel an intense anger at the injustice inflicted on innocents.  It is followed immediately by frustration -- frustration that I'm too old now to put on my green suit and grab my gun and go after those sonsofbitches and frustration that there is no leadership in Washington with a vision concerning fixing anything related to this.  I get to be a bit of a hawk when somebody insults my country.

I have one absolutely wonderful memory of those days I'll share, however.  Remember when, suddenly, American flags were in short supply? 

On September 11, 2001 I was in Little Rock, Arkansas on the consulting assignment from hell.  My company had made a bad acquisition and several co-workers and I were forced to do the wrong thing for a client because of it.  We were supposed to make a really stupid and off the mark presentation in a few days and the next move involved joining up with some idiots in Atlanta to finalize a meaningless slide show.  Making my mood worse was what happened in New York City.  Now, we had to get to Atlanta on a fool's errand and there were no planes in the air.  Driving would be the only option.

When I called the Hertz counter at the Little Rock airport to see if I could convert my existing rental to a one-way and leave the car in Atlanta I got my first pleasant surprise.  They had a Lincoln that they needed to get to Atlanta and I could have it for free if I'd just get it there for them.  The whole "normal" movement of their cars was interrupted and they were searching for ways to get cars to hub airports for the surge they knew would come after air traffic was resumed.  They said the tank would be full and we didn't have to fill it up when we turned it in.  It also had a CD player -- a luxury in those days.

My co-worker and I struck out for Atlanta in the Lincoln.  We had cell phones and a stack of CD's.  We didn't talk much, we just drove, not really knowing what to feel or what to do.  We missed our families and wanted to be home, not on the highway. 

Somewhere between Little Rock and Atlanta one afternoon, a day or two after 9/11/01, events conspired to make a memory. 

I had a Ray Charles CD in the Lincoln's stereo system.  We'd been driving without conversation for the most part.  My co-worker was staring blankly out the windshield as I drove us onward through the countryside.  Traffic was heavy but courteous.  We were all still in shock.

As we were coming around a curve and approaching a long hill the CD player moved to the last cut on the Ray Charles CD -- his wonderful rendering of "America".  That song gets me and given the circumstances of the time I was choking up a bit.  I looked over at my co-worker and she was wiping at tears.  I couldn't cry because I was driving so I stifled my emotions, swallowed hard, sniffled, and goosed the Lincoln up the hill.  There was an overpass above the highway ahead, near the top, where some country road crossed the Interstate.

As we neared that overpass I could see that cars coming the other direction were flashing their lights.  Getting even nearer we could hear horns honking.  The CD was playing the last intense verse and Ray was in fine voice.  I was about to crack and have to pull over.  That's when we saw what was causing the commotion . . .

A grizzled old man wearing bib overalls was standing on top of that overpass.  He was grinning from ear to ear and heartily waving a huge American flag he'd most likely borrowed from his church or a school.  "God shed his grace on thee . . ." sang Ray as we drove under that fellow.  I leaned on the horn and flashed the lights, too, as we watched him fade in the Lincoln's mirrors.  Suddenly what had been a boring road trip toward a useless job had become one of my life's peak moments thanks to Hertz, Ray Charles, and a kindly old man who knew everybody on that highway needed some reassurance that there was something bigger than all of us -- that in spite of toil and strife there was purpose.   "From sea to shining sea . . ."

Every year on September 11th I do two things.  I exchange e-mails with my co-worker and unwitting partner in that experience just to see if maybe we made it all up.  We didn't, she assures me.  Then, I listen to Alan Jackson's song "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning".  I think a lot about that old man on that overpass.  I wish I could have gotten out of the car and shaken his hand.

Epilog:  When we got to Atlanta I gratefully filled the tank on that Lincoln and then turned it into the agent who was completely understanding when I gave him a manly hug.  That's the way it was then.  The greatest evil I've experienced in my life was at the heart of driving some incredible love and unity.  You couldn't buy a flag anywhere -- they were all sold out.  But, you could borrow one!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN