Author Topic: 9-11  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: 9-11
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »
Like Art, I was in my classroom.  The bell had just rung for Homeroom/2nd period (Geometry) and the announcements came on.  They were done by students over our closed circuit network.  In the middle of the announcements, they switched over to live TV.  Just the first tower had been hit and many of us thought that it might have been some sort of awful accident. 

Then we saw the second plane.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 03:27:13 PM »

Epilog:  When we got to Atlanta I gratefully filled the tank on that Lincoln and then turned it into the agent who was completely understanding when I gave him a manly hug.  That's the way it was then.  The greatest evil I've experienced in my life was at the heart of driving some incredible love and unity.  You couldn't buy a flag anywhere -- they were all sold out.  But, you could borrow one!

Hub

Thank you for that story, Hub...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 10:17:18 PM »
9/11 is my wife's birthday. I had to go to work so I got up and brewed a pot of coffee for her and left her present and card on the kitchen table. I was at the cafeteria at work when she called me and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I said are you sure you are not watching a movie? Then she said Oh my God there is another one. We all went downstairs where there was a TV and watched the coverage. I will never forget the shock and outrage I felt that day. I don't want to get political but I think those who want me, my family and everyone in my country to die should be bombed to hell.

I had Togo to Atlanta a couple of days later. I normally flew over on the company plan but nothing was flying. When I got to Atlanta it was odd. Normally there were planes circling waiting to land but the only plane in the air was a military fighter jet. My meeting was on the 40th floor and I was scared as hell all day.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:24:11 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 04:30:30 AM »
I remember it well . I was supposed to leave south africa for a business trip to NYC a week later . my wife and me watch this Terrible event the whole day on tv hoping it is a bad joke , but no it was real .I know i am not American but i am a Human Being and it hurt like hell .
on my last trip to the USA in august my wife and me visit ground zero .
they did a great job at this memorial , keeping the memory a life .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 04:37:22 AM »
Spanish class, we didn't have tv's in every room in high school, and had to listen to the new reports on the radio for spanish and chemistry. I was only 15 at the time, and had been on the observation deck of them the previous fall during Columbus day weekend.  Heard both towers go down over the radio, then by English class we had a TV.  I remember F-16s and our trusty A-10s stationed near by flying CAP over the area.  When I heard about the pentagon, I walked out of chemistry class to call my mom who was working the tallest towers at the time in Philly to tell her to leave, only to learn she was sent home already.  My cousin lived two blocks from the towers, he was out of his apartment for 3 months.  It took them two weeks to be able to go back and get some stuff to live in a hotel for 3 months.

I pretty much kept to myself and stewed with anger, not being old enough to do anything I finally knew what it was like for teenagers of WWII felt like and how they would lie about their age to enlist.  Still weird not seeing the towers, and still get worked up.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759