Author Topic: Old Aint Fun  (Read 906 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Old Aint Fun
« Reply #-1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
Sep 15 2015

Over 4 years ago when I built my smoke deck I had some nice pieces of 2X6’s left. I built a box large enough to store two 20 lb. gas bottles in and keep out of the weather. It had a top lid I could just lift off. I didn’t realize just 4 years later after having a back operation I could no longer lift the bottles in and out.

I always had a bottle hooked up to a grill and two spares in the storage box. I had a gas single burner but I only had it hooked up in the summer. Last year when I bought a new Weber Spirit 2 burner grill I gave my almost new Weber Q120 to our son along with a full bottle of gas.

This spring I was hobbling around with a cane. I bought a new Camp Chef Pro 30 single gas burner. When I wanted the gas bottle I had to have the son get it out of the storage box for me. I can still roll them around and use a 2 wheel cart to move them. I got a nice cover for the gas burner and wanted to leave it out for the winter.

I looked at the box and after some measuring all I had to do was remove 3 of the front boards and saw the cross piece out of the bottom. Then I screwed the lid on permanent. I was able to slide the gas bottle in and leave my burner hooked up. It’s a comfort to know it’s there and if the snow isn’t too deep and I can get to it I can use it. Before winter sets in I want to buy another bottle and get it filled; I have room in the box for it.

I have a total electric home and when the power is out I am out! I thought about getting an emergency generator but over the 42 years I have lived here we have only been without power twice in the winter; once for 2 days and once for 3 days. We never lost power during the 1978 blizzard. I have an infrared gas heater that will keep the house comfortable and a bottle of gas will burn for 12 hours.

The two times I needed it the gas heated water for bathing, gave us some hot meals and kept us from being too cold! Meanwhile as long as I can hobble out to my smoke deck and cookers I am going to keep on smoking and cooking and stay warm if needed. I am not sure but I think if I was freezing I could manage to drag one of the bottles in the house with my 2 wheel cart!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Old Aint Fun
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
Looks like a good set-up Don!

I am starting to understand how you are feeling as I am not as strong as I used to be and as much as I hate it, I have to ask my Son to come over from time to time to help me with some heavy lifting - fortunately he is an awesome kid (24 yrs old so I guess not so much a kid anymore) and he ALWAYS is happy to come help out.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »

The two times I needed it the gas heated water for bathing, gave us some hot meals and kept us from being too cold! Meanwhile as long as I can hobble out to my smoke deck and cookers I am going to keep on smoking and cooking and stay warm if needed. I am not sure but I think if I was freezing I could manage to drag one of the bottles in the house with my 2 wheel cart!

Smokin Don

Just be real careful, Don ! ! !  There's usually nothing, in your house, that should be run off propane.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »

Smokin Don

Just be real careful, Don ! ! !  There's usually nothing, in your house, that should be run off propane.

I am,, the heater is ventless and it and the bottle of gas goes on my fireplace brick hearth with the chimney vent open. I have a carbon monoxide alarm. I know it is not the safest but before I had  kerosene heater that was worse. It's either that or freeze. Don

BD
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:03:53 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
Yeah, I've got a gas log in an original wood fireplace in our den.  One year, when the girls (whoa rein int her 30's now) were little, we lost power in an ice storm.  I cranked that bad boy up and it was sleeping bags in the den.  But I cracked windows in the kitchen (downstairs) and my bedroom (upstairs) just to be on the safe side.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »
SD, old age hasn't hampered your problem solving skills. That is some good work on reworking your propane storage barn. I wish my old age would allow me to be so resourceful.