Author Topic: PBC vs Akorn  (Read 7814 times)

Offline rchang72

PBC vs Akorn
« Reply #-1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
I'm looking into getting a charcoal cooker. Want to be able to smoke ribs and chicken, but also want to cook high heat like steak.

Budget (meaning my better half) would be ok with around $300. After looking at different videos, kind of narrowed to PBC vs kamado. And the Akorn is the only one in my budget.

I really want to have something that I can have for a while and not break or make me  wish I had something else. Or if you think get better kamado, I am prepared to save for a bit longer (just will be seeing everyone's posts with envy)

Knowing posting here is self selecting, so hope is ok to post in both subgroups.

Can you give me any thoughts? 
Weber Genesis
Next grill...?

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: PBC vs Akorn
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
As a PBC owner I love it, and you can really load up the barrel.  I remember someone posting 9 racks of ribs.  You can easily fit two pork butts, or (probably) hang two briskets.  It is an amazing chicken cooker.  Once you get it started with a solid bed of hot coals it lasts hours without having to really do anything.  You can really set it and forget it, and I have only used a thermometer once, and that was when I wanted to make it run at a lower temperature.  Following the website directions the Pit Barrel usually runs around 275-300, which is hotter than traditional BBQ.  I don't have, nor have seen a Akorn in action, but from personal experience you cannot go wrong with the PBC.

Jerk Chicken off PBC:

Ribs Hanging out

Ribs all finished
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »
Been bbqing most of my adult life and had all kind of cookers. I can honestly say the best food I have ever done is on the PBC. I can get it going ,put the food on and got take a nap, check on it at recommended time and then oh my goodness it be good !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
PBC is better value for money. Plus you can feed and army with the PBC.
I have never cooked on an Akorn but I've seen one in person. It might sear steak better than a PBC but that's all it has over it.
Go for the PBC.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
Just a minute!
The Akorn will low & slow smoke!
High heat cook poultry!
Grill steaks @ 700F
Is a great pizza cooker!
Cooks well in the frozen tundra !
Mine is almost 4 y/o & still works great
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:06:28 AM »
Just a minute!
The Akorn will low & slow smoke!
High heat cook poultry!
Grill steaks @ 700F
Is a great pizza cooker!
Cooks well in the frozen tundra !
Mine is almost 4 y/o & still works great

How many racks of ribs can it handle?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:03:31 AM »
I'll put my Akorn against any PBC....Just sayin
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »
I'll put my Akorn against any PBC....Just sayin

Between my egg and the pbc my egg wins every time.  The kamado cookers are the Swiss army knives of bbq cookers.  They can do everything.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
The PBC is sort of a one trick pony but that single trick is an amazing one. Best chicken cooker that I have used. When used correctly it is a true set it and forget it charcoal cooker.

Lots of room to hang food. I am always amazed how much it can really hold.

Will it last? The new models are enameled so it should last a long time like any Weber would.

I cannot speak for the Akron because I don't own one but the people here who do speak highly of them and have yet to see a complaint about quality.

Being an insulated cooker allows for very high grilling temps and will be very efficient on charcoal.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
 I don't own either. But there's no surprise that I do have an opinion.  8)
 I recently witnessed first hand the PBC in action. (Very nice cooker), (killer chicken).  And I cooked on a ceramic cooker for the first time a few months ago.
 I am leaning with Muebe on this.   If you can only have one the AKORN , Bubba Keg, Green Egg, Kammoto ETC ETC is going to be more versatile  because all the things that can be cooked on it.   Mainly though the ability to control temps for a multiple food and cook type events would be way easier on the ceramic...
 I think the only real decision would be which one of those you choose.  According to the size you need and the price.

I know LA and Jaxon both have AKORNS so they would be a good source of info.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
I have to agree with the Kamado. They have great deals from time to time on Akorns. I like the PBC for chicken.......and that is all I use it for.

* out of respect for PBC (forum sponsor), I am going to move this thread to General Discussion...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
It if is your only cooker I would lean to the ceramic because of the high heat. I know I supported the PBC earlier, and still do, but seeing pictures and videos of ceramic cookers with high heat that is something you cannot achieve with PBC.

I like the size versatility of the PBC, but have a Jumbo Joe and Weber Genesis for high heat. I would put more weight on high heat because you can always do low and slow in oven and grill/smoke finish for bigger parties if you need.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
Guys...I am not sure if I contributed to the issue- because I tell people all of the time what a fantastic "chicken cooker" the PBC is....And- we all get "hooked" (pardon the pun) on cooking chicken in it because we can hang them on the hooks like real "pit" BBQ is done.

BUT...make no mistake here...the PBC will, can, and has cooked top quality pork, brisket, Tri Tip, ribs, lamb...you name it!

And all you need do is look at their YouTube channel - or just click here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Pit+Barrel+Cooker

We cooked a pork butt at Jaxon's all nite long on ONE full basket of Kingsford Blue Label.....

So, I have nothing against the Akorn whatsoever. in fact- I think it is the best deal in an egg-shaped cooker - by a long shot.

However - one cannot argue the volume of space inside the cooker. The PBC gives you more flexible space. Period. It just does. Maybe you don't need that...now. But my bet is
that you will wind up wanting it. I can cook 4 whole chickens in a PBC. ( Again...back to the chickens... :D ) But you can look at posts by many owners here and see the use of the additional vertical space comes in handy.
You can grill on a PBC. Plenty of posts here showing that too.....

In the end, both are fine tools.I just think of the PBC as more universal for me. It is like any cooker. You have to study it, an use it to get good at using it. But- the learning curve for the PBC is brief. Like....Light the charcoal and cook - brief ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline amshepar

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
I'm a PBC owner and will try to provide reasons why I think the PBC is the best choice for you.

1 -  The PBC for $299 arrives assembled and ready to use.
2 -  The learning curve truly is just watching the initial video on the PBC website/youtube channel. 
3 -  Charcoal times for Kingsford Blue are 6-8 hours in the PBC.  I have cooked 12 lb. briskets in 7 hours with plenty of heat still remaining in the PBC
4 -  There is a post in the PBC forum showing 9 racks of ribs hanging at once.  I've personally done 8 chicken breasts in 45 minutes while also doing 2 bone in ribeyes in 20 minutes.  You simply can't get that volume on other grills/smokers/cookers yet also be as compact as the kamado/pbc.
5 -  The 275-300 range is a great "low enough and slow enough" temperature to turn out amazing briskets yet you don't have to start your cook at 4am to be ready for dinner time.  It cooks brisket in the 45 minutes per pound range.  a 10lb. brisket is done in 7.5 hours, give or take 30 minutes.
6 -  Enough can't be said about how good whole chickens are on the PBC.   Everyone will and has already started to chime in on them.
7 -  Pizza is also amazing on the PBC.  You don't get the high heat but in 35-40 minutes you get an amazing product.
8 -  My go-to items on the PBC; I know their cook times by memory, and they are a set it and forget it from the point of PBC lid closure to ready to serve.  Long cooks like ribs, a chuck roast, or whole turkey allow me to get other stuff done (like watch football :)) and not have to worry about it.

I have introduced multiple people to the PBC through my cooking and the next week they rushed out to get one.  I swear by it.

And you can achieve pretty good searing on a steak on the PBC by removing the lid at halfway point.  It may not compare to a traditional grill but the flavor is still amazing and to me this is such a low item on the totem pole of important features.

Best of luck in whichever you decide but I know you won't be disappointed if you choose the PBC.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
Let me join the list of those who do not own either cooker, but who do have an opinion.

The fact that you mentioned grilling steaks, for me anyway, tilts the decision one way.  The fact that you said that wanted to be able to smoke ribs & chicken - but necessarily huge amounts of them at one time - also, for me anyway, tilts the decision in that very same direction.

Like I said, I don't own a PBC, in fact, I've never even eaten food cooked one one, but I have read thread, after thread, after thread, after thread about them and I do not recall seeing the word "porterhouse" in any of them.

To quote Jaxon, "Just sayin'."

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC