Author Topic: Hello & Request for Help from Indiana  (Read 3335 times)

Offline budbrew2

Hello & Request for Help from Indiana
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »
Hello.  My name is Bud and I'm from Zionsville, In - just outside of Indianapolis.  A little background...I am a Harley Davidson technician and my interests are beer making, seeing live blues and making good smoked foods for family and friends. 

I wanted to join this forum to try and gain some knowledge from those who have been using the PBC longer than I have so as to improve my skills.  Please forgive in advance as I tend to be a bit verbose in trying to explain things.

I purchased a PBC over the summer and have been struggling to make consistently great food.  I feel like it is all user error in temp control...though I think I'm doing things like I'm supposed to be.  I have made several attempts at pork back ribs, pork butt, chicken halves/wings and salmon. I've had the most success w/pork butt, though it takes much longer on the PBC than I thought it was supposed to (approx. 1-1/4 hours per pound).  Ribs have either overcooked in a little over 2-1/2 hours or are done but not tender in 4.  Chicken halves are getting done in the 2ish hour window, but the skin has never been crispy.  Wings I made last night finally achieved crispy skin after 2-ish hours, but were overcooked. 

I am doing chicken halves as I write this. I have my opening at 1/4 open (approx. 850 ft above sea level), Kingsford blue bag, filled the basket and pulled 40 briquettes out and started in chimney. Once the coals were ashed over, I dumped in the basket and placed lid on w/it cracked open for about 15 min, added the rebar, hung the chicken and secured the lid.  After a 1/2 hour I noticed no smoke so I checked the temp.  I was at 205 degrees.  I cracked the lid for about 10 min and it came up to 300.  I secured the lid and checked 10 min later and it seemed to be steady at 260.  I just checked again...now about 20 min later and I'm down to 223.  It's 40ish degrees outside now w/a little sprinkling rain...but my PBC has acted this same way on dry days and 85 degrees,  I jut cannot get the PBC to hold a constant temp to yield consistent results.

So any insights as to what I need to do to improve are greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.  Thanks and have a great evening.

Bud

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello & Request for Help from Indiana
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »
Howdy Bud, I have probably had my PBC longer than anyone here and it sounds to me that you are following Noah's directions/videos.

Have you contacted Noah and Amber about your issues??

P.S.:  Welcome from So-Cal  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Hello & Request for Help from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
Another Minnesota welcome! I have been using my PBC for some time (on the advice of The Smoke...) I tend to follow Noah's instructions and have had good success. As The Smoke said, if you are having problems by all means contact Noah or Amber - they have the absolute best sense of customer service you will ever find. Let us know how things go for you...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
One thing to consider is if your charcoal has gotten wet/damp. When I buy my Kingsford (Memorial Day-4th of July-Labor Day), I purposely pick the bags from the center of the pallet. I have seen charcoal bags in the stores with dried water rings on em in the corners. This will affect the way the charcoal burns.

Please let us know what Noah and Amber says..........they want you to be happy with your PBC  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
Welcome from NC ! !

Lot's of PBC users here.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Welcome from N. Ontario Canada.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline budbrew2

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome!

I did send a note a couple of months ago to Noah & Amber.  Amber surmised I was not lighting the PBC correctly & advised me to make sure I was following the lighting instructions.

So follow up on tonight's chicken.  After playing w/the lid a couple times, the chicken hit 165 in the center of the breast (I am using an Thermapop thermometer) in about 1 hour 45. The cook time felt right-ish based on everything I have seen/read online, but the skin was not palatable...it was rubbery.  The meat was moist and tasted great.  The only other thing of note was that the joints & the meat around them (esp. the wing joint at the breast) were still tough and sinewy...like the chicken needed to cook a little longer.

Could I not be leaving it on the cooker long enough? I just don't want to sacrifice the meat for the skin like I did with the wings last night.

Thank you again for you thoughts.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome!

I did send a note a couple of months ago to Noah & Amber.  Amber surmised I was not lighting the PBC correctly & advised me to make sure I was following the lighting instructions.

So follow up on tonight's chicken.  After playing w/the lid a couple times, the chicken hit 165 in the center of the breast (I am using an Thermapop thermometer) in about 1 hour 45. The cook time felt right-ish based on everything I have seen/read online, but the skin was not palatable...it was rubbery.  The meat was moist and tasted great.  The only other thing of note was that the joints & the meat around them (esp. the wing joint at the breast) were still tough and sinewy...like the chicken needed to cook a little longer.

Could I not be leaving it on the cooker long enough? I just don't want to sacrifice the meat for the skin like I did with the wings last night.

Thank you again for you thoughts.

Bud - you are on the right track. I have left chickens not he PBC until the breast reads 180-185F. It was an accident at first, but I leaned that the chick was a little more "joint-tender" and the breast was not dry. And to crisp the skin: try drying off all of the water after prepping the chicken. Spritz a very light amount of Pam on the chicken ( it is canola oil)  then dust on your rub. When you know the chicken is close to done - then crack the lid and leave it that way for the final 15-20 minutes. That should raise the pit temp, and increase airflow, removing more surface moisture - so the skin texture will be more like what you are looking for.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:27 AM »
Another welcome from North Carolina.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:58:27 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:12:36 AM »
Hello Hoosier,

I can't help you with the PBC cooker problem as I don't have any experience with one but I do want to welcome you to the forum. I live about 35 miles SW of you in Coatesville,  Indiana.

Good luck with the new cooker as I am sure the good folks on the forum can solve your problems.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
Welcome from Southern California
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
Welcome from Philly Burbs, and fellow PBC owner.

For lighting I use the chimney as well, but some people have found better results by starting with lighter fluid.  Not sure if you have tried that method.  As for the crispy chicken skin that is tough because of the grease fog inside the barrel is moist.  I dry brine my chicken halves at least 24 hours in advance, usually 48 hours to really dry out the skin.  For seasonings, I add a little olive oil then rub, then hang the chicken.  I also trim up the bird to remove some excess fat, this stops the fat from hitting the coals and cooling them off as much making your cooks hotter and faster.  My chicken cooks are about 75-90 minutes, one rebar out to get some more air flow.  Sometimes I get good skin, but most of the time I don't.  I did do a low and slow bird on the rack spritzing every 20-30 minutes for 5 hours and had bite through skin.  I am at 289 ft above sea level.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
Welcome from Philly Burbs, and fellow PBC owner.

For lighting I use the chimney as well, but some people have found better results by starting with lighter fluid.  Not sure if you have tried that method.  As for the crispy chicken skin that is tough because of the grease fog inside the barrel is moist.  I dry brine my chicken halves at least 24 hours in advance, usually 48 hours to really dry out the skin.  For seasonings, I add a little olive oil then rub, then hang the chicken.  I also trim up the bird to remove some excess fat, this stops the fat from hitting the coals and cooling them off as much making your cooks hotter and faster.  My chicken cooks are about 75-90 minutes, one rebar out to get some more air flow.  Sometimes I get good skin, but most of the time I don't.  I did do a low and slow bird on the rack spritzing every 20-30 minutes for 5 hours and had bite through skin.  I am at 289 ft above sea level.

Aruckus adds some really valuable info there...In addition - once you dry the chicken, and apply the rub, place them on a cookie sheet uncovered in the fridge for an over nite ride. The refrigerator will help remove near surface moisture from the chicken skin because it extracts moisture from the air during the cooling process.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401