Author Topic: Porketta - never heard of it...  (Read 1739 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Porketta - never heard of it...
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
David - I love the looks of yours! I had porchetta (pronounced "por-KETT-a" ) several times in Italy...and I don't know if it is just different here vs there - or a different cut/spelling to signify a different dish altogether. Here is porchetta that I had in Pienza, near Siena. The first picture is Pappy's piece ;D....

I spoke to the owner of the deli - and he told me how they prepare this
They take a small pig  - scald and scrape the hide and debone him. Then dry , and rub olive oil, salt, garlic, oregano - sometimes  rosemary, and thyme - or whatever the cook has available and want to use. Then the pig is tied into this roll that you see - preserving the overall shape of the pig. Then they roast the pig over hardwood charcoal, all nite long... The result? The slices still have a piece of that wonderful "cracklin" like skin - with a hit of salt and the herbs as seasoning and it is moist and tender.

But...I am betting yours tastes better ;)

I think a different cut / definitely different process - but oh my, THAT sounds good!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
Dinner looks awesome. 
I really like Rocky's note pad....

Thank you... she IS a teenager...  ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 02:41:21 AM »
Great looking cook, whatever it is I'll eat it.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »
Great job David!
Porchetta is kinda like American chil, in that every family makes it, but every family makes it a little differently! And like chili......it's all good!

X2 ! !

Yes, it's not anything like what my Grandmom cooked when I was growing up in So. Philly, but it looks real tasty!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC