Author Topic: Pellet Grill Advice  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Bigfish8

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #-1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
I am confident each of you have been bitten by the "I want a new grill bug" and I am struggling with the questions of "do I need a pellet grill" and "if I buy which one to purchase?"  Yuk!! LOL!!!  I know you have responded to these questions in the past so let me apologize for once again bringing the subject up.  My investigation into the pellet grill world reveals that I need to spend between $1500 to $3500 to obtain a very good to excellent quality grill.  The popularity of pellet grills seems to be based on "set it and forget it convenience" and superior meat flavor to that delivered by a propane grill. 

Currently, I have basic grilling covered with a Weber Charcoal Kettle Grill with a Slo N' Sear.  Low and Slow is covered by the Stainless Steel Drum Smoker and by the Grill Dome.  Outdoor oven cooking is covered by the 2' X 3' Grill Man Gas Grill with side burner.  My guess is that I am not the only one, with similar grilling options, that has been bitten by the "Pellet Grill Bug."  Would you kindly provide me advice to advise me that after you purchased a pellet grill were you totally happy with your decision to go "pellets" or would you advise me to keep enjoying the sport of cooking outdoors with my current gear?

Thanks,

Ken
Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline Hub

Re: Pellet Grill Advice
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
First of all, welcome from NC  ;D

There are lots of experienced pellet cooker drivers hanging around here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Please read my two articles on pellets here:
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=59.0

You've got plenty of budget room to find a great cooker, but first you need to do a little more research -- it's fun!

Two of the biggest questions you'll need to settle before you buy are how big a cooker you need, and what will be your primary use of it.  You don't want to buy too small or wind up with a cooker that's targeted to a use you don't need.  Feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Cinredman

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:44:29 AM »
Think the first question you have to answer; how often and how much meat will you cook in a session. I purchased a chef camp  PG24LTD for under $500 on woot. After 3 rib cooks, family reviews were stellar.  Bottom line, I am very pleased with my purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
The interesting thing about pellet grills is that you can't taste the difference between a 500.00 entry level model and a top of the line 3000.00 model. That is where the difference ends however. The higher end models will go much longer with repairs being fewer and far between. There are a lot of things that could possible go wrong with a pellet grill. You have electronics and moving parts. Augers,heat rods,fans.....etc.

Are you handy? Most pellet grills are very easy to work on and all the Mfgs offer plenty of support after the sale. Do you have a source of pellets close by or do you have to rely on-line??

You are in for a interesting journey....now back to researching my next grill.......that darn bug never stops biting  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
After having my Mak 2 star for two years. It's quality is second to none.
With that said I only use it for low and slow. So it sits a lot. For week night cooking and such I use my Weber charcoal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

The interesting thing about pellet grills is that you can't taste the difference between a 500.00 entry level model and a top of the line 3000.00 model. That is where the difference ends however. The higher end models will go much longer with repairs being fewer and far between. There are a lot of things that could possible go wrong with a pellet grill. You have electronics and moving parts. Augers,heat rods,fans.....etc.

Are you handy? Most pellet grills are very easy to work on and all the Mfgs offer plenty of support after the sale. Do you have a source of pellets close by or do you have to rely on-line??

You are in for a interesting journey....now back to researching my next grill.......that darn bug never stops biting  ;)

The Smoke is wise. Having a source of quality pellets at a fair price is a big factor.
I would also look at that contraption that Bigg is cooking on. Turning out some beautiful food
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muralboy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
Going from charcoal, to gas, to electric smoker, to pellet grill - my take is that a pellet grill gives me the convenience of a gasser with the smoking convenience of an electric smoker.  I have done everything from ribs to shoulder/butts, veggies (including olives) to fish as well as cold smoked cheese.

If you like a heavier smoke, I would suggest investing in a cold smoker as well, or something to use as supplemental smoke.  Don't need it all the time - just when you want a heavier smoke profile. 

I have the PelletPro 627 and Big Kahuna cold smoker from Smoke Daddy Inc.  It's a great value for the $$ and gives me plenty of room for decent sized smokes.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
Since you are "relatively" close to me, I'll let you know that I do a major pellet order once or twice a year.  The last order was 6,000 pounds of pellets.  One of the guys from Chapel Hill has bought pellets with us and he drove over to p;pick them up.  I usually use a warehouse in Hickory to take delivery of them.  Let me know if you are interested.  PM me and I can give you a few more details. 

I have an earlier MAK 2 Star that I love.  I use it for a lot of low and slow:  pork butts, chuck roasts that I pull, ribs, Moinks and other apps.  You get the idea.  The one feature I do not use very much anymore is the smoker box.  I recently bought a Red Box Smoker to do my cheese, fish and homemade sausage smoking.  My recommendation would be to look seriously at the MAK 2 Star.  Great price point for a really high end pellet cooker.  Adding an A-Mazen maze or smoker tube really makes this a great choice, IMO.  The 1 Star really cranks out some smoke on its own.  Tenthunter (Cliff) can verify this for you.  I have seen him use it a our get-togethers.

Speaking of get-togethers. several of us do lunch at different places whenever the urge strikes us.  There are five regulars supplemented by anyone who is available to join us.  This is a great opportunity to get to know others on the forum.  We will probably be doing lunch sometime after the holidays settle back down, weather permitting, of course.  I'll let you know when we put the next luncheon together.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
I own the  MAK 2 Star as well. The Controller with he WiFi option and 3 meat probes truly allows you to be able tot control the cook from wherever you have to go during the day - and be able to not only monitor the progress of 3 different meats - but to turn the girl up, down, or off - form anywhere int he world that you have an internet connection. Sound frivolous? I thought so at first. Then I put a brisket on - and my wife reminded me of a day;s worth of appointments/obligations I could not get out of...I have been convinced of it's value ever since. MAK is made in Dallas OR, and the owner will not even buy a fastener from China. I am not saying that is good - or bad - I am simply stating that his philosophy of control goes deep, not just the controller....THis one is near to the upper end of your stated budget.

I also have a Rec Tec that I love. It is well built, and can hold a 40lb. bag of pellets in it's hopper. It has a good controller, not all the bells an whistles of the MAK, but - it does have a visual appeal for most folks. And - depending what features you think you will need, either of these are quality recommendations. This one is near the lower end of your stated budget.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
Well I own 2. The Blazn Grillworks Grid Iron and a Traeger Jr. The Traeger is on semi permanent loan to the son in
Florida. Pellet grills are very versatile. I use mine for low n slow when I am looking for a light smoke flavor. If I want more
smoke I will either use the Amazen smoker tube or one of my Weber WSM's.  Personally I believe the best meatloaf in the
world comes off my pellet grill. There are so many great brands to choose from and with your allotted budget you shouldn't be
hard pressed to fine one. I like my Grid Iron and wouldn't swap it for anything except maybe the Mak 2 Star. And as Tee stated
Rec Tec makes a good pellet cooker which definitely puts out some tasty food.  A few of us have cooked on them at our annual BBQ
Gathering in Augusta, GA, which is where Rec Tec is located. I recommend doing what Hub advised and read his articles on pellet cooking
and thoroughly do you research and get the one that fits you and your families needs.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Cinredman

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Cookinpellets through Amazon appears to be a good source and I am pleased with their perfect mix. Amazon prime provides free shipping too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »
Here is something I wrote up awhile back on my Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill. Might give you some information if you decide to look at a less expensive pellet grill.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=12170.msg165108#msg165108

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:46 PM »
" There are so many great brands to choose from and with your allotted budget you shouldn't be
hard pressed to fine one. "

Truer words were never spoken..or written! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muralboy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
Cookinpellets through Amazon appears to be a good source and I am pleased with their perfect mix. Amazon prime provides free shipping too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just drove up and picked up 5 bags of their Perfect Mix.  Great pellets.  Nice blend of woods, very efficient, minimal ash.  Amazon prime is best option if buying a few bags.  15 bags or more, they have some good bulk buy options.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
I am not saying it is the best but my wife and I have had a Yoder YS640 for over 4 years and have been very happy with it.
Compare the following with other pellet grills you are considering...
- Cook chamber is 10 gauge steel, weighs over 300 pounds and is built like a tank!
- Can adjust temp from 150º to 600º plus.
- With 2nd shelf there is 1070 square inches of grate space.
- Warranty is 3 years control systems and 10 years on the grill body.
- Made in the U.S.A.