Author Topic: Pellet Grill Advice  (Read 6066 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
One consideration is the cost of pellets to you and availability. Not all pellet grills use the same amount of pellets to do the same job. An insulated pellet grill with advanced controller can save you money in the long run if you end up using it a lot.

If pellets are available to you locally for cheap then not as much of a factor to consider....
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Cinredman

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
My sister-in-law purchased a Rec Tec and is very pleased. At the time she purchased, the smallest grill was still $1,000. Total quality materials and build, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 05:20:27 PM »
One consideration is the cost of pellets to you and availability. Not all pellet grills use the same amount of pellets to do the same job. An insulated pellet grill with advanced controller can save you money in the long run if you end up using it a lot.

If pellets are available to you locally for cheap then not as much of a factor to consider....

Muebe has a Memphis pellet grill and it is one of the best around......they also have models with insulated lids.

If you want to get your feet wet and not break the bank...consider Green Mountain Grills (lots of features for the price) and Camp Chef. While not being in the same category as Mak,Memphis,Blazin,Yoder,Rec Tec......they offer great bang for the buck. Can always spend a ton more when you are sure the pellet bug has bitten ya..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
Here is something I wrote up awhile back on my Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill. Might give you some information if you decide to look at a less expensive pellet grill.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=12170.msg165108#msg165108

Dave

Green Mountain Grills can not be overlooked.......and if Old Dave has one......you know it has to be a good un.. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muralboy

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »
The one piece of advice that was given to me when looking at pellet grills was paying attention to the PID or control part of the unit. Most, if not all, of the grills mentioned here will have a PID that will maintain temp within a 5 degree variable - almost like your oven.

I have the smaller grill from Smoke Daddy. PelletPro 627.   It came with two racks with the upper rack being half sized.  I purchased a 2nd full sized rack for the upper level, which they cut down for me, and I can do 6 racks of baby backs at one time.  Yet it's not overwhelming big for the smaller cooks. Heats up fast and maintains temp well.  Their PID is very reliable and accurate. They even sell, and a lot of guys use their pellet hopper assembly for larger build out such as refrigerator conversions.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »
Just got a memphis advantage for myself after thinning the herd heavily the past few months. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »
Just got a memphis advantage for myself after thinning the herd heavily the past few months.

What made you get rid of your Mak to get a Memphis??  Both are top notch that is for sure. Did the Memphis offer something the Mak didn't??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

I've had my Advantage over five years and it just keeps on truckin'  ;D  No problems and minimal maintenance.  Well insulated and sips pellets even in coldest weather.  One of the best controllers.  I'm starting to think about a new stainless steel one.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »

What made you get rid of your Mak to get a Memphis??  Both are top notch that is for sure. Did the Memphis offer something the Mak didn't??

I can get it to 700° with the flame zone plate.  I wanted one grill that could do it all.  Plus two of the smartest guys I know own Memphis grills.  Gordon and Mike (hub and muebe).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:31:54 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muralboy

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 04:08:14 PM »
if you can find someone to go in with you - Smoke Daddy has a buy one get 1 for half off plus free shipping.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/pellet-pro-grills

Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Pappymn

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »

I can get it to 700° with the flame zone plate.  I wanted one grill that could do it all.  Plus two of the smartest guys I know own Memphis grills.  Gordon and Mike (hub and muebe).

Hub.....no question. But Muebe? ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »

Hub.....no question. But Muebe? ;)

:D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
Do you need a pellet grill???
They work best as "Set it & Forget It Smokers"
Do you want a vertical or horizontal smoker, flavor profile is different.
Vertical smokers give a vaporized fat flavor to food , many people like this , the reason a Weber Smokey Mountain or any Kamodo smoker are very popular .
A horizontal smoker gives a wood smoke only flavor but until pellet grills was a pain in the ass to cook long cooks.
If you like smoked food off a WSM or BGE don't buy a pellet grill, the WSM is much cheaper & a Kamodo more versital.
If you prefer a horizontal flavor profile unless you like to stay up at nite buy a pellet cooker.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »
....to add to what LA pointed out....a pellet grill gives a lighter flavor profile due to the fact that the fire burns so clean....there are ways to add more smoke though. If you love the flavor profile from charcoal or wood you might want to look around a bit more before you open your wallet.................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
....to add to what LA pointed out....a pellet grill gives a lighter flavor profile due to the fact that the fire burns so clean....there are ways to add more smoke though. If you love the flavor profile from charcoal or wood you might want to look around a bit more before you open your wallet.................

Further to that point...wood smoke flavor is easy to add via an Amazen Smoker. They are least expensive - and most reliable way to do so in a pellet grill,ad require no cutting or drilling into your pit.  And they can also be used to cold smoke anything you desire. cheese, nuts, fish, salt....and so on.

Budget usually = the quality of the unit. The more you can spend in general - the better built and more features you will get.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401