Author Topic: Pellet Grill Advice  (Read 6065 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »
another thing to add is customer service in the Pellet Grill world is outstanding  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »

Just got a memphis advantage for myself after thinning the herd heavily the past few months.

What made you get rid of your Mak to get a Memphis??  Both are top notch that is for sure. Did the Memphis offer something the Mak didn't??

I can get it to 700° with the flame zone plate.  I wanted one grill that could do it all.  Plus two of the smartest guys I know own Memphis grills.  Gordon and Mike (hub and muebe).

Hub.....no question. But Muebe? ;)

Good thing I'm not smart because if I was I would have a word or two with you Pappy :P

And thanks Sparky your too kind...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
All good info for you Bf. I have had my Traeger for over 5 years now and love it. It did not have the best controls from the start but I managed using my Maverick and cooked by grill level temps. I now have a Savannah Stoker V3 PID controller and it works nice. I find about anything you can do in an inside oven I can do on the Traeger. I do mostly low and slow on it but have made some good burgers with it too.

Not sure what I would buy if I replaced it, right now a Mak, Memphis or Rec Tech would be at the top of my list. Whatever you choose I think you will enjoy it. Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
LOVE my Rec Tec. Rumor has it that Santa is bringing Grill Grates for it. OK, I ordered them myself and they are here but Mrs. TF insisted on wrapping them and putting them under the tree!
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Cinredman

Pellet Grill Advice
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
Still a noob with my chef camp pellet, but have found I achieve better smoke flavor on the low smoke setting.  After going many years using my Weber kettle setup for a minion burn, the results I am achieving on the pellet is far superior. No, I haven't relinquished ownership of the kettle, because I love it for other cooks. But, the PG has become my "low and slow" machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline kenafein

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
I think, with your budget, you'll end up with something great.  I cheaped out and went with a Traeger JR.  While I can make some tasty stuff with it, and I have made some mods, I wish I'd spent more and got something more substantial and better performing than the entry unit.  I drool over the Rec Tec and Yoders.  Like so many here, I use CookingPellets pellets.  Their hickory or perfect mix.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Traeger Jr (w/ mods)
Weber OTG
Blackstone Pizza Oven
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber Genesis Silver(from the dawn of gas grilling)
Wish List: RecTec, To finish a UDS, Slow N Sear, GrillGrates