Author Topic: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?  (Read 10031 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
TMB brought up the moving to cord cutting idea.Im ready to drop dish,been experimenting just watching programing on the net.

Going to order the roku3 and see what their free programming is like.

Those who have cut the cable,can you tell us what youve been doing?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Chromecast and a smart DVR.  I haven't cut the cord completely.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Roku is the most versatile of them all. Great app too.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »

I figured out I was paying about 10 bucks an hour to watch TV a while ago. Now with the antenna we get about 21 stations of which we watch maybe 10 regularly and the commericials are are least local..
 We have a smart TV now and in the other room a smart DVD player which was less than a hundred bucks. I have two of the older Roku boxes but the tv pretty much does what we are interested in nod I don't use the boxes at all, although I have been thinking of revisiting the newer  Roku or Fire units.
 We watch a lot of Netflix shows and Amazon shows.
 You get spoiled quickly to no commercials ! I hate when we go to Kerry's moms and have to watch the amazing amount of commericials that are on cable. Paying to watch commericials is nuts...
 My sister got the Apple tv like TMB and likes it pretty well so far.
You should like the Roku I think. I liked ours before the smart TV's for sure.
My brother in law has the full sports network so I just go over there with meat to grill when a good game is on...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »
We have DirecTV and love it.  It is a bit spendy but I find their customer service to be outstanding. 

We recently added Amazon Fire TV and we do like it.  It has hulu but I don't think it is as good as ROKU.  Our Daughter uses ROKU and really likes it.  She moved into an apartment at college this year and did not want to (couldn't afford to :)) pay for cable.  She really like ROKU for Netfilx and Hulu.

Good luck
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
I'm looking at ditching cable tv - it has just gotten too expensive, will keep the net. We have Rokus in several rooms, and it looks like they get much more use than cable. For me, I can find ALMOST everything I want to watch and more on Roku. Just can't get the old B&W Perry Masons...  :'( Although it looks like I can get it on METV - antenna...  ;D

I haven't tried the others, but Roku has worked well - no problems and tons to watch.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
Apple TV for me  ;)  90% of the stuff I watch is somewhere on the net and Apple TV has it.   I can get Hulu or Netflix and that alone covers dang near everything I need

Only draw back, I have a limit of 150 GB per month on my internet (AT&T sucks by the way)  can't buy more GB's  if I wanted to and DSL is all we can get where we live.

No cable runs near the farm, closest cable is 1/2 mile away and they want $1.95 per foot to run it to my house ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Guess you can hold folks back  when your the only game in town   

Sorry, off my box now
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
That DOES suck Tommy.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »
That DOES suck Tommy.
6 mb speed at best sucks and mine runs 3 to 4 MB's       

At time I have to let a show down load before I can watch it :-\ :-\ :-\

But living in North Alabama among 2000 acres of corn, wheat and cotton makes one thankful for what he has (no neighbors) just kin
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
That DOES suck Tommy.

But living in North Alabama among 2000 acres of corn, wheat and cotton makes one thankful for what he has (no neighbors) just kin

You haven't met my kin...  ??? ::) ::)
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
That DOES suck Tommy.

You haven't met my kin...  ??? ::) ::)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D      Well, I do have a crazy sister in-law  ???  ill trade ya' ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:42:20 PM »
I use a Zidoo X6 tv box along with unlimited 6mb internet. It has any tv show, any movie, or any song I want. Effective March 1st, satellite service here in Canada has to offer a basic package for $25 by law. That will do for my local channels and then I can save $75 bucks a month. Then I can save up for a KARUBECUE.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:50:16 PM by N. Ontario Smoker »
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 02:42:01 AM »
spuds, I haven't cut the cord yet because my TV is not as smart as everyone else's. I don't even have HDMI...I have only component inputs which is why I can't cut the cord yet. It seems that I bought my technology way too early.

This is my story and maybe it will help you or someone. I am hooked up to Xfinity Cable through Comcast. I had 25 Mbps Internet and who knows how many channels. I didn't subscribe to any pay movie channels and my bill every month was $212. I had to return a couple of simple converters that I wasn't using in spare bedrooms to save a little money. When I was at the counter returning them, I commented how high my bill was (Ok, I cried how high my bill was). The sales person looked up my account and told me that since I had been with them for so long that she would give me a special discount. She knocked off $70 a month, included all HBO channels for free, and she jacked my internet up to 75Mbps without caps. Just got my bill this month and it is $142. Love it. I guess the crying did the trick. I have always hated Comcast because of poor and dumb customer service, but this is a case when something went right and now I love them. It could happen to you. Practice the tears.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 03:02:22 AM »
We have Apple TV but can't cut the cord because if our sports addiction.  Don't like going to bars because you can't hear the TV.  We have unlimited GB useage.  My wife loves apple products so everything is linked with her computer, ipad, and iphone which is nice. 

We did get it as a gift and have started using it more int he last 3 months compared to the full year before.  Our honeymoon location had free wifi so we brought it along to watch movies after nighttime activities around the resort.  Small enough to travel well. 

My one friend has chromecast and he likes it.  He has an antenna to be able to watch football and local nightly news.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
I have Apple TV. I mainly bought it so I could AirPlay from my iPad. The problem is that Apple limits what apps can and cannot AirPlay. And things like Amazon prime are not available.

With Chromecast you can stream from any newer android tablet or phone to your television.

The Roku offers the best selection of free and pay programs.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven