Author Topic: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?  (Read 10029 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
I have Apple TV. I mainly bought it so I could AirPlay from my iPad. The problem is that Apple limits what apps can and cannot AirPlay. And things like Amazon prime are not available.

With Chromecast you can stream from any newer android tablet or phone to your television.

The Roku offers the best selection of free and pay programs.

I too thought Apple limited what can be airplayed but they limit it within the app itself.  The new bottom screen upswipe should still allow you to airplay.  It allowed my wife and I to start watching  The Man in the High Castle .  We haven't finished it yet with crazy holiday work schedules, and now playoff football on both Saturday and Sunday, but we will get to it!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »
2 Chromecasts
1 Amazon Fire TV stick
1 Amazon Fire box. My favorite, it's fast!!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Great info!

I have only 3mps from Verizon DSL with my phone service.Does Verizon DSL go higher,I couldnt ascertain that from the web.

Otherwise I have to go cable and maybe use the magic jack for phone?I think its comcast up here? Smoke,do you know about that? Currently Im in for 190 /month for phone,net and dish,would like to cut it in half?

Cell phone is too poor of reception for 100% phone service.Its in and out depending on the phone Gods attitude.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »
I have Comcast (only cable choice here.) Tired of paying for 300 channels in 4 rooms and only using 3 or 4. So, current plan is to turn in all the cable boxes except the one in the family room. I already use Vonage for home phone (works through the cable modem and is cheaper than Comcast version.) The rest of the TVs will stay on Roku and local channels. I have to keep cable for interwebs for work. This should cut at least $125 a month from my bill.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
David,do you know the comcast speed? I put a shout out to friend to check what cable we have.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »
I have the basic speed service on Comcast and I've checked the speed on several services - average about 23Mbps down and 2.6Mbps up. FWIW, this laptop is connected via a wireless connection, not directly to modem.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »
Good speed,that'll work nicely

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
I have Apple TV. I mainly bought it so I could AirPlay from my iPad. The problem is that Apple limits what apps can and cannot AirPlay. And things like Amazon prime are not available.

With Chromecast you can stream from any newer android tablet or phone to your television.

The Roku offers the best selection of free and pay programs.

I too thought Apple limited what can be airplayed but they limit it within the app itself.  The new bottom screen upswipe should still allow you to airplay.  It allowed my wife and I to start watching  The Man in the High Castle .  We haven't finished it yet with crazy holiday work schedules, and now playoff football on both Saturday and Sunday, but we will get to it!

The Man In The High Castle was great!

I was not aware the swipe up menu had that option. I will check it out
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »

I have the basic speed service on Comcast and I've checked the speed on several services - average about 23Mbps down and 2.6Mbps up. FWIW, this laptop is connected via a wireless connection, not directly to modem.

Comcast "tossed in" their higher speed Internet. I've been testing periodically. Getting 90-120 down and 12 up. I do have an AC generation router, which you will need to get wifi that fast......I think
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 06:01:41 PM »

Comcast "tossed in" their higher speed Internet. I've been testing periodically. Getting 90-120 down and 12 up. I do have an AC generation router, which you will need to get wifi that fast......I think

Thanks, Pappy! Looks like it's time for an in-person visit to Comcast.
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »

Thanks, Pappy! Looks like it's time for an in-person visit to Comcast.

You pretty much need to talk to them annually to keep getting their "best deal"
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
I use Apple TV but my new toy is a http://matricom.net/g-box-q/. Tons of stuff to watch.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
I am tethered to fiber optics cable through a local service called bright net. We have landline, TV with DVR, and internet service. The TV is my wife's baby and the internet is mine. We have Amazon Prime and Roku, and she is happy! I don't watch much TV but when I do I love being able to fast forward through the commercials after recording. In the old days, 50's and 60's you barely had time to go grab a snack during commercials; now I could pop some pop corn or make a sandwich!

The internet is my entertainment. I have two desktops, I just got a new one for the back porch and have one in a PC room, our daughters old bedroom. I have them hard wired through DSL and both connect via a router for internet connection.  I updated my router two years ago to a Linksys dual DSL and WIFI so the kids and grandson had internet access for their toys! I have a printer on both of my desktops and share them along with documents in my home network. I guess you could say I am wired!
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 05:30:04 AM »
I have Comcast (only cable choice here.) Tired of paying for 300 channels in 4 rooms and only using 3 or 4. So, current plan is to turn in all the cable boxes except the one in the family room. I already use Vonage for home phone (works through the cable modem and is cheaper than Comcast version.) The rest of the TVs will stay on Roku and local channels. I have to keep cable for interwebs for work. This should cut at least $125 a month from my bill.

Comcast is the worst.  Local company with HQ here in Philly.  They are building another brand new HQ (completed by Fall of 2017) maybe 2 blocks from current one which was finished in spring 2008.  Only other choice is Satellite TV, and that won't cover local sports programming because it won't carry COMCAST sports net.  Sports... the only thing keeping us in the Cable TV market. Now if the Phillies and 76ers could actually be a half decent product we would be back to enjoying sports more :P
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline spuds

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »
So we have charter available at 60mbps.Anybody using it just for internet and whats the cost?