Author Topic: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?  (Read 10028 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Roku,apple tv,firestix,what are you using?
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »
I have Comcast (only cable choice here.) Tired of paying for 300 channels in 4 rooms and only using 3 or 4. So, current plan is to turn in all the cable boxes except the one in the family room. I already use Vonage for home phone (works through the cable modem and is cheaper than Comcast version.) The rest of the TVs will stay on Roku and local channels. I have to keep cable for interwebs for work. This should cut at least $125 a month from my bill.

Comcast is the worst.  Local company with HQ here in Philly.  They are building another brand new HQ (completed by Fall of 2017) maybe 2 blocks from current one which was finished in spring 2008.  Only other choice is Satellite TV, and that won't cover local sports programming because it won't carry COMCAST sports net.  Sports... the only thing keeping us in the Cable TV market. Now if the Phillies and 76ers could actually be a half decent product we would be back to enjoying sports more :P

If you can convince the fans in Philly to calm the he!! down...and not thrown bottles and ice balls at Santa Claus when he steps on the field...it may help a little.... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
I have Comcast (only cable choice here.) Tired of paying for 300 channels in 4 rooms and only using 3 or 4. So, current plan is to turn in all the cable boxes except the one in the family room. I already use Vonage for home phone (works through the cable modem and is cheaper than Comcast version.) The rest of the TVs will stay on Roku and local channels. I have to keep cable for interwebs for work. This should cut at least $125 a month from my bill.

Comcast is the worst.  Local company with HQ here in Philly.  They are building another brand new HQ (completed by Fall of 2017) maybe 2 blocks from current one which was finished in spring 2008.  Only other choice is Satellite TV, and that won't cover local sports programming because it won't carry COMCAST sports net.  Sports... the only thing keeping us in the Cable TV market. Now if the Phillies and 76ers could actually be a half decent product we would be back to enjoying sports more :P

If you can convince the fans in Philly to calm the he!! down...and not thrown bottles and ice balls at Santa Claus when he steps on the field...it may help a little.... :D :D :D

Whoa whoa whoa!!! First, I'm a Stillers fan, my wife is an iggles fan.  The snow ball thing is a little over blown, it was a fill in santa and the guy was thin, not a jolly fat santa.  In addition the Eagles were losing and playing bad football (not much has changed since 1968 :P ).  Second, I believe beer cans and "wooder" bottles were being thrown onto the field in Cincy Saturday night.

Passion with Philly Fans, we as a city are not dumb and don't like when people feed us a bunch of BS.  We know sports in an out, Halloween 2008 was the craziest day I think I've ever seen in the city during the Phillies parade.  I drove home from school to go to the city, my high school changed the prep rally for homecoming from end of the day to first thing in the morning because so many people were going down the parade.  The whole area was semi shut down, now if the eagles win the city will completely shut down and be one giant party... that is a big IF
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 04:40:03 PM »
Hey akruckus, you know that I say this with pride, as a South Philly native:

Passion with Philly Fans = A jail in Lincoln Financial Field

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
"Whoa whoa whoa!!! First, I'm a Stillers fan, my wife is an iggles fan.  The snow ball thing is a little over blown, it was a fill in santa and the guy was thin, not a jolly fat santa.  In addition the Eagles were losing and playing bad football (not much has changed since 1968 :P ).  Second, I believe beer cans and "wooder" bottles were being thrown onto the field in Cincy Saturday night.

Passion with Philly Fans, we as a city are not dumb and don't like when people feed us a bunch of BS.  We know sports in an out, Halloween 2008 was the craziest day I think I've ever seen in the city during the Phillies parade.  I drove home from school to go to the city, my high school changed the prep rally for homecoming from end of the day to first thing in the morning because so many people were going down the parade.  The whole area was semi shut down, now if the eagles win the city will completely shut down and be one giant party... that is a big IF".......errrr.....o.k.....I rest my case..... :D :D :D :D

BD

And...yet again! :D :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 10:45:26 PM »
OK,can we get back to the topic?  ::)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 11:18:25 PM »
Just having fun along the way Spuds....And - our joviality does bump your thread to the top of the list, so that it gets noticed. We make it a policy to NOT be "thread police" on LTBBQ. If folks want to talk a little, and a thread wanders...it still keeps the thread "alive" so that anyone interested in the topic can see it - and comment. No one does this intentionally. It is just a mark of being in a pretty friendly and conversational place.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2016, 01:43:07 AM »
Just having fun along the way Spuds....And - our joviality does bump your thread to the top of the list, so that it gets noticed. We make it a policy to NOT be "thread police" on LTBBQ. If folks want to talk a little, and a thread wanders...it still keeps the thread "alive" so that anyone interested in the topic can see it - and comment. No one does this intentionally. It is just a mark of being in a pretty friendly and conversational place.
10-4,well understood all along,just want to keep idea's flowing,gathered lots of information so far.....  ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:11 AM »

BD

No more jail, the jail went away when "The Vet" was knocked down.  Lincoln Financial field is too "cooperate" compared to the vet.  Sorry spuds.  Depending on how much "live" tv you watch can really be cost effective.  My wife watches a lot of hulu and netflix, and like i said if it wasn't for our sports addiction we would cut cable out.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline spuds

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »

BD

No more jail, the jail went away when "The Vet" was knocked down.  Lincoln Financial field is too "cooperate" compared to the vet.  Sorry spuds.  Depending on how much "live" tv you watch can really be cost effective.  My wife watches a lot of hulu and netflix, and like i said if it wasn't for our sports addiction we would cut cable out.
Hey its all good,Im just excited to get this cord cutting figured out.We are talking a thousand bucks a year possibly,wow,that adds up on our income.

I found a site that does live sports watching from around the world on web searching,dont have it handy at the moment.

Guess its time to get a roku ordered.If it doesnt play nice with dsl will go cable,Mrs not too happy on that,cable has a reliability and customer relations reputation of poor up here,so we will see how this progresses.

Offline SmokeyRobbinSon

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
I use a firestick with Kodi installed. I also have Kodi installed on all my desktop and laptop computers. It gives access to basically any movie, tv show, & sporting event you can imagine. Also live tv, ppv, & thousands of music stations.

Offline spuds

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »
OK,Im downloading Kodibuntu for my linux ubuntu laptop,lets see if I can figure that out,thanks Smokey.

Offline spuds

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
OK ,got kodi on the ubuntu laptop but with 3mbps speed cant do 720 or 1080 speeds,buffer city?Any way to turn the speed down,I put mouse on speed and nothing happens?

Anybody with better than slow dsl,check out the kodi,pretty slick,small learning curve to load programming,tv is in video section,click on addons to find channels,install and launch.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Does Kodi work with Mac and PC as well?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline SmokeyRobbinSon

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
OK ,got kodi on the ubuntu laptop but with 3mbps speed cant do 720 or 1080 speeds,buffer city?Any way to turn the speed down,I put mouse on speed and nothing happens?

Anybody with better than slow dsl,check out the kodi,pretty slick,small learning curve to load programming,tv is in video section,click on addons to find channels,install and launch.

Google and u can find instructions on how to get more out of Kodi. There is various settings u can adjust to fix buffering issues and improve performance. The best addons I have found are Genesis, Phoenix,  Navi-X, and Sportsdevil. I had NO knowledge of any of this prior to last month and was able to find everything via Google and hook it up myself. It's pretty easy to do.

Offline SmokeyRobbinSon

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
Does Kodi work with Mac and PC as well?

Yep. They have Kodi available for any type of device u can imagine. Here is the page to download:

http://kodi.tv/download/