Author Topic: Asking for opinions on pistols  (Read 7286 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Asking for opinions on pistols
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 11:35:34 PM »
Tommy,
I have a 9mm Springfield Armory XD.  I have a S&W M&P .40 cal.  I have a 9mm S&W Shield.  I bought the latter one after seeing my son's backup/off duty concealed carry.  I shot it not too long ago at the range.  Nice fit in my hand.  I have relatively small hands for a pistol.  I bought a G-Code holster for it.  My son even gave me some "really good" self defense 9mm ammo for it.  I have shot it enough and know it well enough that if I have to use it in a self defense situation, the perp is in trouble.

The Shield and the G-Code are a great combination for a carry weapon.  If I want to "plink", I can use the other pistols.  They are much larger and are better target-type guns.  Overall, the shield and G-Code will set you back a lot less than a Sig or Remington.  Sig makes a great gun.  They are kind of pricey.  If you want more accuracy out of a Sig, prepare to spend some bucks.  The Remington 1911 has not been around as long.  Jury is still out.  It would take a fair amount of $$$ to make the Remington really accurate.  Both require very specific and qualified gun smiths to work on them.   

Just my input.  Keep us posted on your travels.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 04:33:31 AM »
Let me first start by stating that i am no expert but i am a handgun firearm instructor .
Buying a handgun It is more involved than choosing the caliber and the make .
you have to ask yourself is it to own or to carry .
If you just want to have one at home than any of these two options is a good one .
I love the SIG SAUER .
If it is for you to carry you should go to a proper gunsmith to see what fits your hand ,what is comfortable for you to carry (concealed ) and to draw (remember you got a shoulder problem ) .
If you are not going to carry the gun with a on up (a bullet in the chamber ) you definitely you should  look at a glock (no need for safety ) .
Sorry for this long and technical reply .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »
Thanks all,

Reason for the pistol is to carry when out and to take camping.  Some places we have stayed were not the best you know

I'm leaning towards the SIG for quality built yet the Remington is a solid gun as well.  The reason for the 1911 model is I have a very thick hand with short fingers and this limits you to certain guns because of the grip and trigger

My son the Deputy, i think is looking at what he has and what others here prefer to carry as their off-duty side arm of choice.

Justin is like me, he believes in things built well even when they are $$ above the others.  As for home I have what I need to protect the homestead  ;) with the many choices.    Now with health issues protecting myself or family while out without a pistol is not really an option anymore, so I feel the need to carry a side arm..
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »
Ruger .357 revolver...gun em down like Matt Dillon used too   8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
  Tommy, Both your choices are going to be fine with most any of the 1911's out there for that matter. Its really all about it fitting your hand and being able to conceal and access it easily. Fast and easy access, quick safety release and comfort in your hand will be important God forbid you ever need it.   
 I really like the S&W Airlite .38 with a Crimson Trace built in to the grip. Super easy to conceal and handle. Problem is Tommy's hands are probably to big for it.  Its one of the few guns you can dependably fire multiple rounds right through your coat pocket.  Its a close range gun with plenty of power.  Most self defense situations are going to be 10, 15 , 20 yards anyway (if that).  Although I am starting to think that that may be changing with the new idiots we have out there now.
  I keep my small frame M&P 45 in the truck and office. It will do what I need it to do dependably and fits my hand really well. 
  I have a Home defense 12 GA for Kerry. She doesn't  shoot enough to be accurate with a pistol.  My alarm system will chime even if its not armed so we always know if a door is opened. It would be a good option for the camper...
I told her to blow a hole in the wall (but please not through my new window)...The n if someone still  comes up stairs after a #4 shot goes off in our small house and they hear her pump the next round in,  she can feel confident she did the only thing she could after that. 
   I like 9mm because they are cheap to shoot comparably these days, great accuracy and long range. The issue I have with them is that they bounce around and just keep going.  We use to shoot at a stack of old telephone poles several poles thick. We could routinely find 9mm rounds on the ground behind the poles.More than any other round including rifle loads.   When inspecting the poles we could see trails where they would slide around each pole. This would concern me if I had anyone living in other rooms of the house.  Yes, the 45 will blow though several walls but it tends to stay somewhat in a straight line where the nine redirects when it contacts various surfaces.   The last thing I want to do is hurt someone other than the intended target. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
Smoke, I have a S&W 686 combat  357 with a competition trigger.    It would certainly make home defense fun..
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 05:12:53 AM »
Thanks all,

Reason for the pistol is to carry when out and to take camping.  Some places we have stayed were not the best you know

protecting myself or family while out without a pistol is not really an option anymore, so I feel the need to carry a side arm..
Been in that very situation in a State Park and a stoned armed stranger,actually heard the idiots planning the robbery( and the teenager being goaded into it by an older bum/sleazeball to do the dirty work as he stood back,very bizarre situation)!!! Much like the beltway shooter dynamic.Manipulated young adult.

And what to do with us after,fortunately stoned out kid didnt have the inhumanity to go thru with it.We were in the perfect isolated spot,without options but verbal reasoning,nothing else,kid caved and literally ran away from the entire situation into the woods,wow!!!!....dont want to go there.

In our case the bear spray would have been the perfect answer,also didnt have.I believe in a layered measured escalated response,and options,not just gun or no gun.Going from zero to the nuclear option is not good for civilians,maybe LEO,but we civilians play by other rules and laws.And they are far more restrictive.

My home defense is lights, fence,dogs,spray,taser,knife,and the last resort(actually have even more in the non lethal group,the internet is your friend for ideas) .And you would have to be pretty stupid to escalate just to number three,the dogs.Options.

Outside... situational awareness is prime number one on the list now,I see everything,Im looking well outward,I see a potential sleezeball plan B immediately goes on the radar,they get closer,plan C-palm the spray,closer...Plan D arm taser,head out of area,etc etc etc......have to be aware and have a plan,an escalating one with multiple options.Getting out of the normalcy bias,you have to see AND react fast!

I will NOT get caught flat footed again.And I have no Rambo illusions,I think instead at least now I have a chance.Your lowlife fool this will work,your pro,we are still in deep doodoo,even armed with a gun.

Finally,you get a gun,you must get some kind of realistic stress inducing training if thats your only option,or it isnt going be a damn bit useful.Professional Bad guy isnt going to wait while you arm,draw a defensive pose,etc,its going to come at you FAST,you prepared to make that life death instant decision...when stressed you wont be able to move unless trained to do so.

Options.Lots of em.Think this out completely IMO.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:50:04 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
Smoke, I have a S&W 686 combat  357 with a competition trigger.    It would certainly make home defense fun..

Terry, the S&W 686 357 is my wife's personal handgun. I try not to make her mad.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Smokin J

• Let's smoke !
Asking for opinions on pistols
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
I have heard by many officers Glock 43 9mm is one of the best. I own a S&W Shield 9mm and honestly think the size and way it fits in my hand is great. Very accurate as well (depends on the user). Many family and friends have the Shield and think very highly of it. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
After further reading post, gun magazines and see what the $$$ of pistols I believe I'm going with the SIG carry .45

Found a special deal on one  :D so $$$ is about 100.00 less or a slight bit more

Will post when I get it  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »
After further reading post, gun magazines and see what the $$$ of pistols I believe I'm going with the SIG carry .45

Found a special deal on one  :D so $$$ is about 100.00 less or a slight bit more

Will post when I get it  ;)

There are many things to consider Tommy...Don't rush this. Take time to handle the firearm, and go out and shoot one. It will save you much frustration.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
Lots of good advice here Tommy.
Whenever I need gun advice I tend to lean towards Massad Ayoob, one of the most knowledgable gun experts in the country.
Here is a magazine he writes for and many past articles to research.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/
Click articles
Click BHM blogs at top
then click Massad Ayoob

Good luck in your search!

Offline RAD

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »
Tommy,

I have several short guns and a couple of which I wish I didn't spend the $$$ on. As much advice you are getting here is really good. Take time to get a good feel of the weapon, accuracy for the way you shot the weapon and weight of it. I have a couple that are great carry guns and my favorite is my Springfield XD sub 40. I have a choice to carry a larger clip or the short clip and it also has hand grip adjustments. The XD is one of the most accurate shots I've ever had. I will mix it up somethings with my wife's Glock because it is a bit lighter to carry.

I also recommend a good holster. There are several out there and I went with minotaur because it is designed for YOUR weapon and it has a real nice low profile. I can be in shorts and a tee-shirt and still feel comfortable not showing or imprinting.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:06:49 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
There are only 3 things that come to my mind about carry:

1. That you have it with you. I am amazed at the number of folks that are somehow "comforted" by the fact that they passed their CCW course...so - they do not bother to carry.... ::)

2. That the weapon is reliable. (  My favorite currently is the Springfield XD and XDM series. It is the ONLY pistol tested that passes the NATO standard for durability. Over 500,000 rounds without a failure. - from a post I made earlier....this is important..... ;))

3. That YOU are proficient with it. It does not matter if it is the best - or the worst pistol made...If you can't  utilize it based on muscle memory. If you have to "think" when a situation occurs....you are dead. Not saying by any means that you should be nervous, twitchy, or quick to draw. QUITE THE OPPOSITE.....But without lots and lots of training and practice, you will present more of a danger to yourself and others than you could ever benefit.

It is an investment that only BEGINS with a gun purchase. It is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. But, this tool is more powerful than any other you will own. Ever. It contains the ability to save lives and end them.
It requires that YOU are well trained in the knowledge of situational awareness, and practice of exercising the best judgement in order to be worthy of the power of your tool.
Take it seriously.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:26:45 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:25 AM »
Let me assure y'all I DO NOT take owning a gun, carrying a gun or pulling a gun on someone lightly.

In the past I've drawn a shotgun on two separate occasions, once when a man was "Thinking" of breaking into my sister in laws house after the tornado of 2011 and in 1999 when a man was beating on the door of my in laws house at 2:15 AM

At both times I had Buck Shot chambered and there bodies lined up with the barrel.  Yes, I was going to pull the trigger if needed but thank the good Lord they both knew what a Winchester sounded like being "RACKED"

Owning a gun (for now) is our 2nd amendment of the Constitution and I take it very seriously.    Buying the correct gun is just as important to me.   I won't buy a pistol because of cost I will buy the one that fits me.

Y'all have made great points and this thread has helped a lot.   I may buy another pistol other than the 1911, but right now with the hands I have it's a hard fit to find.  Believe me I have tried to hold the S&W "M&P" ok but bad trigger pull. The SIG P938 and others like it are to small, like holding a baby toy (to me  :( )   

But keep posting if something else comes to mind.   It will be weeks before I can really shoot anything according to the doctor who worked on my shoulder, well I still can shoot the Winchester  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker