Author Topic: Asking for opinions on pistols  (Read 7287 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Asking for opinions on pistols
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
Let me assure y'all I DO NOT take owning a gun, carrying a gun or pulling a gun on someone lightly.

In the past I've drawn a shotgun on two separate occasions, once when a man was "Thinking" of breaking into my sister in laws house after the tornado of 2011 and in 1999 when a man was beating on the door of my in laws house at 2:15 AM

At both times I had Buck Shot chambered and there bodies lined up with the barrel.  Yes, I was going to pull the trigger if needed but thank the good Lord they both knew what a Winchester sounded like being "RACKED"

Owning a gun (for now) is our 2nd amendment of the Constitution and I take it very seriously.    Buying the correct gun is just as important to me.   I won't buy a pistol because of cost I will buy the one that fits me.
And both were simple cases,simple home defense,time to react from a position in your favor.Nobody took you by surprised,out in the open.Youve thought it out,you KNOW what you will do,and how....you are mentally prepared because its part of your mindset now.Simple.

CC is not the same.Its rapid,unexpected and out of your comfort zone,the home.Its all unknowns,not knowns.Do you want to be the guy in the above example in a CC situation,or the surprised person in shock(your body will do it if you arent trained/prepared physically and MENTALLY for that) because the guy in line at store behind you has started shooting? Those micro seconds can matter as you go thru deer in headlights response your body will do,training puts you miles ahead.Be it professional training or shooting your gun a lot and training yourself,you can,net has all sorts of ideas on doing so.

You need to be CC the guy you are in home defense,you need a plan,and a planned response,just like you have at the house.

Just dont be the guy who buys the gun,shoots it a couple times at range,and go away thinking you are CC prepared for situations,you arent.You are prepared for only some,what happens when it isnt the one you prepared for?

And that can matter.

Just want you to get the most from it.Im not in any way concerned about you handling it responsibly,thats a given.I sincerely hope you put minimum of 100's of rounds thru it,and do so while moving,and while running and seeking concealment,and running and seeking cover.Being able to process the difference.Shooting it short of breath,fatigued,thats what is different from home defense.

Different ballgame unless all you are looking at is the terror shootings(bang bang bang three rooms down the hall),and at that you need to be mentally prepared to be effective unless you get lucky.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:47:59 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline RAD

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
BTW the SIG 45 is going to be one of my next buys. All review are great but I haven't had a chance to handle one yet. If you get one maybe I will drive north and we can play.  ;) I will bring some toys.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »
BTW the SIG 45 is going to be one of my next buys. All review are great but I haven't had a chance to handle one yet. If you get one maybe I will drive north and we can play.  ;) I will bring some toys.
If I can get this dang shoulder healed up so I can shoot, you can come up we can cook, shoot and even ride out on the farm in a Gator  ;)

My son owns one and it feels really good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
Spuds, not to make light of your post but I would NEVER consider pointing a gun at someone as simple. One wrong twitch of my finger and the would would be less one person.  That is something I do not take as simple

I understand what your saying and you are correct.   If out in a mall and gun fire starts no one really knows what they will do (other than those trained)  I just want to make the odds as equal as possible for me and my family to come home. 

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline RAD

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »
I will pick Terry up on the way or we could get Albert to do a fly by.  :D
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
I will pick Terry up on the way or we could get Albert to do a fly by:D
Come on, SRG's are ready and the Rec-Tec is cleaned and ready for action and I was told Albert got a new Master Built 40 in smoke the other day  :D

You bring the beer and Terry can bring the SKRIMP! (yes skrimp is another way of saying shrimp)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Beer is for Kimmie I'll drink tea ;D ;D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
I will pick Terry up on the way or we could get Albert to do a fly by:D
Come on, SRG's are ready and the Rec-Tec is cleaned and ready for action and I was told Albert got a new Master Built 40 in smoke the other day  :D

You bring the beer and Terry can bring the SKRIMP! (yes skrimp is another way of saying shrimp)  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Beer is for Kimmie I'll drink tea ;D ;D
Im ready!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
 :-[

Dang I hate that I live this far North of you guys .........
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
Since I officially own no firearms because I would not ever want anyone knocking on my door looking for them I can only speculate on what I would own. For home defense if someone is coming in your door a 12 gauge 18 1/2 inch pump with an extended imagine loaded with #4 shot. Just hold it at waist level and pump a couple of shots. There will be a mess to clean up but you will be alive. For a small carry gun I would have a 9mm with some critical defense ammo. Check out the DRT ammo, deadly. An old favorite I might have would be a couple of S&W M&P 38 specials with critical defense loads. If my wife were inclined to have a gun I would not recommend the S&W 686 in 357 magnum she might have but a smaller 38 she could carry in her purse. If your wife carries a gun you want a revolver with a fast safety or a semi auto she can carry a round chambered with a safety. A purse gun with no safety is dangerous if you carry a round chambered. But since I own no guns this is just speculation. Oh, a couple off 22 rifles and a 410 shotgun or two would be nice to put meat on the table if times get hard.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Since I officially own no firearms because I would not ever want anyone knocking on my door looking for them I can only speculate on what I would own. For home defense if someone is coming in your door a 12 gauge 18 1/2 inch pump with an extended imagine loaded with #4 shot. Just hold it at waist level and pump a couple of shots. There will be a mess to clean up but you will be alive. For a small carry gun I would have a 9mm with some critical defense ammo. Check out the DRT ammo, deadly. An old favorite I might have would be a couple of S&W M&P 38 specials with critical defense loads. If my wife were inclined to have a gun I would not recommend the S&W 686 in 357 magnum she might have but a smaller 38 she could carry in her purse. If your wife carries a gun you want a revolver with a fast safety or a semi auto she can carry a round chambered with a safety. A purse gun with no safety is dangerous if you carry a round chambered. But since I own no guns this is just speculation. Oh, a couple off 22 rifles and a 410 shotgun or two would be nice to put meat on the table if times get hard.

Just sayin'...  ;)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 12:54:21 AM »
Tommy, are you sure you don't want to carry one of these instead.