Author Topic: Favorite Lump Charcoal?  (Read 266 times)

Offline Bigfish8

Favorite Lump Charcoal?
« Reply #-1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »
I would like to know what is your favorite lump charcoal?  I have owned and used a Grill Dome for at least ten years.  My experience is that different brands of lump charcoal add distinctive flavor to the food.  Some of the flavors are okay and some are undesirable.  I believe I have settled on Royal Oak Lump as my top choice of easily available brands in my area.  The size of the lump chunks in a bag of Royal Oak is inconsistent but I think it is more consistent than Cowboy Lump and some of the other brands I have tried.  I have heard that Big Green Egg Lump is extremely good but I have never tried it. 

I look forward to reading your responses.

Ken

Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Favorite Lump Charcoal?
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
BGE Charcoal is very "even" in it's sizing - which is desirable for building a good coal bed. It is clean, and from good quality hardwoods. I can''t tell you that  I believe it is the "best" flavored. That is like one person picking another's religion...or underwear.  What fits/suits me, may not be what is in keeping with your comfort zone.

I have used Cowboy, and Frontier brands because they are local to me - but I find them to be similar enough hat I think they are made by the same folks. A bit irregular in sizing - but clean overall in taste and burn.

Stubbs is a good brand as well if you have not tried it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401