Author Topic: South Florida Newbie, w/ Big Easy SRG and TEC Patio II grill  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
Re: South Florida Newbie, w/ Big Easy SRG and TEC Patio II grill
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »
For all the South Florida folks out there, just wanted to let you know Penn Dutch has the Pork Picnics on sale for 79 cents a pound.  They have two stores, one is near I-95 and Sheridan Street, the other store is somewhere near 441 and sample (thats what I understand, I have never been there).

TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
Welcome from the Philly Burbs!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
Hi all,

I guess I'm the new kid in bbq school, and I'm glad to be here.  The wife got me a Big Easy SRG for Christmas, which was a surprise to me, and prior to that I'd never done anything but grill on my TEC patio II grill...  I'm absolutely loving it so far, so far I've cooked chicken wings, chicken leg quarters, two whole chickens, 3 Boston butts and I just finished up a pork picnic today.  I actually found this site while searching how to prepare the pork picnic since I had no idea what to do with the skin...  In the end I just left the skin on and the pork just separated right off when I was pulling it after it was cooked...  I even tasted a little bit of the skin which came out nice and crispy...   By far my favorite pork cook so far...

For today's cook, I mixed some apple juice and butt rub and injected that last night into a 10 1/2lb picnic, and then covered the non-skin area with some butt rub, wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in fridge..  This morning, around 5:30am, I pulled it out, unwrapped it and let it sit for an hour, then into the BESRG..  I added some pecan chips, so started on high, lid down for about 30mins, then lowered the temp to half and left lid down for about 3 1/2 hrs...  I then opened the lid, still at half power, and spritzed with apple juice every 30 min for 2 hours, then closed lid for the last hour, still spritzing...  At 6 hour mark, I pulled (197 internal temp), double wrapped in heavy duty foil and towel, and placed in cooler for one hour...  Had lunch at 1:30pm :).  The picnic was sooo good, the meat came out in big stringy strands, kinda like a chicken breast, and was sooo moist with some flavorful bark on the ends.

So that's my srg experience, looking forward to getting new techniques and ideas, so bring them on....  Btw, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale area in south Florida..

Hello and welcome.  I am also near FTL and new to this blog