Author Topic: Does anyone use Kingsford Briquettes in their Kamado Grill?  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Bigfish8

Does anyone use Kingsford Briquettes in their Kamado Grill?
« Reply #-1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
I have a Grill Dome Kamado Grill and I seem to remember the company recommends against use of charcoal briquettes.  I have owned the grill for approximately 10 years, maybe longer, and have only used lump charcoal.  Well, all I ever hear from wifey is that she does not like the smoke flavor from the lump charcoal.  She always and I mean always wants me to use the Weber to grill.  So, I would like to know if anyone typically uses Kingsford in their Kamado Grill?

Ken
Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Does anyone use Kingsford Briquettes in their Kamado Grill?
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:34:08 AM »
Qualifier:

I do not currently own a Kamado, or ceramic cooker.

However - we are talking about the nature of the charcoal itself. That would be the same - whatever cooker that you use it it, I believe....

Lump will burn hotter, and thus - cleaner than briquettes. Cleaner in the sense of less intense smoke, and a different - lighter flavor when compared to briquettes. Lump generally burns hotter, and not quite as long. This is because of a lower overall density allowing for better oxygen access to the cell structure of the parent wood which is now charcoal. So, the total BTU availability being equal to given volumes of lump vs briquettes - the lump will burn hotter, but not as long.

A good quality briquette - such as Kingsford should give you consistent results with the caveat that it must be kept in dry conditions as any fuel source should. Lump will vary a little. Notice I said WILL.....That is because lump is straight from the tree, minimally processed. So, natural variations in the individual trees, and their growth conditions ( soil conditions, available moisture, nutrients averrable to the tree..etc...see above re: wood density/cell structure) will yield different densities in the wood itself.

Briquettes - being an engineered product - has this taken into account, so the formulations for the briquettes can be altered in order to make the performance of the end product more consistent from bag to bag. Again this is with the understanding that the product is kept in the same dry conditions .....You should expect a longer burn at a lower max temp from briquettes in general.

Which on works best? Which one do you have a taste for? THAT is the correct one for you. Some people like red cars, others could not bear to own one....and both are right ;D.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
I use KBB (with chunks) regularly in my Vision.  For long/slow cooks like butt and brisket, I find that I can get a far more consistent and predictable temp (and flame height) out of briquettes than lump.  Of course there is more ash, but I clean out the ash after every cook and have never had so much that it impacts the cook itself.  As for flavor, well that is subjective.  Lots of people hate the taste of KBB, but I like it as long as you burn it clean.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
YES.  My wife also does not like the taste of lump charcoal.  I use kingsford with my egg or kamado joe. The kamado companies don't want you to use kingsford because it won't get really hot.  Burn away partner.  No lighter fluid with your kamado.  Chimney or weber starter cubes.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Briquettes offer steady reliable heat. Lump "typically" has 3 giant stumps in the bag and a bunch of kibble...............IMHO........... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Does anyone use Kingsford Briquettes in their Kamado Grill?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »

Briquettes offer steady reliable heat. Lump "typically" has 3 giant stumps in the bag and a bunch of kibble...............IMHO........... 8)

And costs a lot more
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

And costs a lot more

Yup, I can get 40 lb bags of mesquite lump for 12.99.....inside is a carbonized tree stump and 20 lbs of broken kibble  >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
Have always used lump in my ceramics whether the Primo oval, Visions or the Charbroiler Kingcooker. I agree that lump can be inconsistent and sometimes the bags have a lot of smaller pieces but that is to be expected with lump.  I especially prefer pork ribs over lump, there's no reason why you couldn't use Kingsford in a Kamado its personal preference.  :) BTW today's cook is over lump and at 10 degrees here in the Midwest the lump has performed just fine in the Visions.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
I'm just a backyard jack and I use an Akorn kamado cooker in which I use KBB.  Every now and then - if I have any - I'll use a little lump to get it started.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:40:20 PM »
One of the brands that has pretty consistent lump sizing - is Big Green Egg. Not cheap - but clean, and almost always small fist size pieces.

There is another one I have heard of lately...I think High On Smoke ordered some, and I know that Troy at Fire Butler loves it. And...I will bet the Barn Goddess knows about it. REALLY light - and CLEAN burning...Contact any of those folks and ask them to chime in on the conversation..... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »
The ash production & limited area to drop into is the reason most kamado 's recommend lump.
My Akorn has a large ash pan & works great with lump or briquittes.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »
Qualifier:

I do not currently own a Kamado, or ceramic cooker.

However - we are talking about the nature of the charcoal itself. That would be the same - whatever cooker that you use it it, I believe....

Lump will burn hotter, and thus - cleaner than briquettes. Cleaner in the sense of less intense smoke, and a different - lighter flavor when compared to briquettes. Lump generally burns hotter, and not quite as long. This is because of a lower overall density allowing for better oxygen access to the cell structure of the parent wood which is now charcoal. So, the total BTU availability being equal to given volumes of lump vs briquettes - the lump will burn hotter, but not as long.

A good quality briquette - such as Kingsford should give you consistent results with the caveat that it must be kept in dry conditions as any fuel source should. Lump will vary a little. Notice I said WILL.....That is because lump is straight from the tree, minimally processed. So, natural variations in the individual trees, and their growth conditions ( soil conditions, available moisture, nutrients averrable to the tree..etc...see above re: wood density/cell structure) will yield different densities in the wood itself.

Briquettes - being an engineered product - has this taken into account, so the formulations for the briquettes can be altered in order to make the performance of the end product more consistent from bag to bag. Again this is with the understanding that the product is kept in the same dry conditions .....You should expect a longer burn at a lower max temp from briquettes in general.

Which on works best? Which one do you have a taste for? THAT is the correct one for you. Some people like red cars, others could not bear to own one....and both are right ;D.

Tee you just did a number on my Adult Onset ADD and made my head hurt.  ;D Lots of good information and good advice there.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:26:56 PM »
I have "heard" that BGE lump is manufactured by Royal Oak.

I have also "heard" that there are two kinds of Royal Oak out there......USA and South America...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven