Author Topic: Weber Kamado  (Read 11422 times)

Offline DWard51

Re: Weber Kamado
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:30 AM »
I've seen comments in other forums that it's going to run $1,500.  Guess that comes with the Summit badge in their teaser photo.  Man it will have to be like unicorn magical before I can justify another Weber at that price.  I've got 3 already.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »
I'm betting it will be significantly premium to the Akorn, but substantially less costly than BGE. This might be done with price or with what it includes (e.g. Performer style cart, charcoal storage, propane assist ignition, cover, etc...) The Weber name / reputation combined with accessories and an attractive price will move the average buyer up from Akorn. The same combination will bring the BGE buyer "down."

Depending on their aggressiveness, I could see a 2 model line - Summit at the top (like their Summit gas grills) and the more moderately priced / positioned Genesis model. Genesis would be priced / outfitted / and marketed as a mid-range Kamado killer. I believe Weber would feel very comfortable there. It matches their charcoal and gas approach. Porcelain coated steel for outer layer, cart table similar to Performer. My bet is $749.00

The Summit version would be aimed squarely at the BGE. Stainless for the outer wall, Stainless cart table, other "shiny" bits (think Harley chrome.) I'm guessing size comparable to large BGE. My bet would be $1149.00

I have NO inside info, just having fun imagining I am the marketing guy - this would be a lot of fun to do!

Maybe we should have a "pool"?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
I agree with the 749.00 price point by The Holly, if that sucker is around a grand....they won't chip away at the Egg or the Primo...gotta be lower........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »
Here you go:  http://www.weber.com/grills/series/summit-charcoal

Doesn't look like a Kamado to me.  ;)  Great looking grills tho.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
Well, at a solid fifteen hundred for Summit (an even more solid two grand for the "Performer" version) I don't think that they're going to be chipping away at anyone's market share ! ! !

And you all know that I'm a full blown "Weber-Head" ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »
https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-news-wire/PRNews_20160406CG63705/weber-introduces-next-generation-charcoal-grill.html

"The new Summit® charcoal grill and Summit® charcoal grilling center (MSRP:  $1,699 and $2,299 respectively) will be available at select specialty retailers beginning April 6, 2016."

Sticker shock  ???
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:35 AM »
Well, at a solid fifteen hundred for Summit (an even more solid two grand for the "Performer" version) I don't think that they're going to be chipping away at anyone's market share ! ! !

And you all know that I'm a full blown "Weber-Head" ! ! !

BD

I couldn't find a price but since you did, there is no way I will pay that much money. I am also a full blown Weber guy but I will stick with my 2 WSM's, Performer, Premium Kettle, etc. I don't know who they will market this to but it is definitely too rich for my blood!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »
Sorry, way to much $$$$$ for this cowboy

After read the description, it sounds solid but $650 to $800 would be the better price range IMHO.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
Not a bad looking grill to me. If you can shut down the coals from burning like with a BK Keg, Primo or other ceramic it just might be a pretty darn good grill and considering it's made by Weber parts should be easy to get. I like the damper on top and a 24 inch grate is substantially bigger than my 18 inch. I like the hinged diffuser plate and the two position charcoal grate is nice. I know the addition of a Kick Ash Basket accessory added will be nice. I'm sure Chad will start making one for that soon. http://www.kickashbasket.com/
Remember just because it has a gas light option doesn't mean you have to use it.

Con.... The price is up there even though they will probably have great support. Compared toa the BK Keg I still like it's portability and ability to attach to a hitch. 
Other than that I will wait for Weber to send me one to try out.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Pappymn

Weber Kamado
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
Ouch. Pretty stiff pricing
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
Here it is from Firecraft: 

http://www.firecraft.com/weber-summit-charcoal-grill-18301001?utm_source=FireCraft+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a753231fcd-Weber_Summit_Charcoal_Grill_Launch_4_6_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7f23282b10-a753231fcd-105663413

Ouch...........1499 and 1999 with a performer type set up......................I think Chargriller and Broil King have nothing to worry about..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
Looks like some "marketing guy" thought they could beat the Egg at the Egg's game. It does look like a very nicely made and appointed cooker - without a doubt a "premium" grill. BUT, IMHO, this is not a niche Weber knows or has significant experience in. While some of their gas grills may have a pricey price tag, they are still NOT in the premium price category. They are solid upper middle range grills - well made, excellent support, easy parts availability, just plain work, etc. They dominate because they deliver excellent products at appropriate prices. Yeah, my wife would balk at paying $750 for a grill, but you could spend 2 or 3 times that for a lesser grill.

I'm not convinced that Weber has the moxie to play in this range. Obviously they have some smart people, but it still seems to me that strategically, they had a chance to dominate the mid-range Kamado market with performance & price, and offer a step up to attack the Egg. I hope I am wrong, but I think they have missed both opportunities here.

While my guess was WAY off on price, I did get the 2 model line right...  ;) 8) 8)
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
I agree with David.  The one clear benefit I can see with the Weber over the Egg/Primo......is if it falls you pick it up and you are fine....the others...off to the store......

Char-Griller has had such good success with their Kamado......is it Weber quality...probably not......but the price point makes Kamado style cooking affordable for the masses.........................and everybody seems to love theirs.......

Not hating on the new Weber Kamado......don't want to piss off Weber Nation..........but at this price point.................I don't know............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
you have got to be kidding!. $1500 for a kettle and 2k for a table.  $700 or $800 I could see.  I truly love weber but...... Come on.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
I too, love my Webers - always have and always will - they are rock solid and do what they are supposed to do.

I can't help but speculate what goes through the minds of marketing folks, especially these days when they all come from B-Schools and rarely have ANY experience in the real world let alone the industry they are entering. This is not limited to grills, etc. Witness what happened to Char-Broil when the "kids" took over.

I worry about excellent companies like Weber. The "older generation" of marketing folks (probably no MBA's, but they knew their customers) understood the realities of the market and where they belonged. The newer generation, MBAs raised on spreadsheets, build plans that support their numbers (not necessarily DELIVER them...)

The Big Green Egg owner / prospect is much like the Apple Fan Boy, price is not the issue - the appeal of the product is beyond simple price / performance issues. It approaches a cult environment. There are examples in many industries. In the computer industry Alienware developed killer computers and laptops, far outstripping anything Apple could do. But they did not make a dent in Apple's market share - pure performance was not the issue for the typical Apple buyer - it was the aura of the Apple brand. I think the Egg is very similar.

I still believe Weber missed the plot. I am convinced with their manufacturing capabilities, support, etc. they could have OWNED the average to mid-high end of the Kamado market. Let the Egg have the much smaller premium market - do like they have done with the basic kettle, portable, and gas range. There will always be Eggs, Hasty Bakes, Tragers, etc. You don't have to take them all on - take the segment that has the largest number of buyers.

Stepping down from marketing soap box...  ;D ;D
Member #