Author Topic: Looking for a new set up.  (Read 7871 times)

Offline ICE9

Looking for a new set up.
« Reply #-1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
So I came across a cool deal going on today where Lowe's has a 0 interest for 18 months deal if I use my Store credit card there. We just moved into a lovely town house with a nice back patio and I am looking for a new rig set up. So far I am leaning toward this:
Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner
http://www.lowes.com/pd_748074-8221...0wekx__?productId=999981910&pl=1#BVRRWidgetID
Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner

It looks like a pretty nice grill and has some great reviews. I have seen endless debate about charcoal over gas, and I honestly want to go charcoal this round of grilling, having the convenience of a gas grill would be great too though, so does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? My price range is in the 2-$400.00 range. I also didn't know what section to put it in, either gas grills or coal since it does both and I didn't see a hybrid section so I figured I would just post in general.

Offline ICE9

Re: Looking for a new set up.
« on: March 31, 2016, 12:37:32 PM »
I would also like to mention that I did comb over the review section and saw nothing reviewed for this grill, so if I do end up buying it I would be happy to do a video review of the grill itself. I just can't wait to be able to grill again.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
The guy that married us here in the mountains. Has a Chargiller Duo with the side firebox. He moved to Montana and took it with him. Still going strong from what I hear.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
No one here I know of has this grill yet so not sure if it is good. Hard to make a judgement on something I have not used. If you like charcoal I suggest a Weber charcoal grill and a simple gas grill for quick cooking.

Welcome to the forum BTW
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
ICE9, I don't know anything specific about this grill but generally speaking dual purpose grills seem to leave a bit to be desired on quality. This may be different.  Do your homework!  Good luck to you in your search!

Offline ICE9

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I have heard that, this apparently is an upgraded version of the first hybrid grill they tried out. Webers look great, the only thing stopping me on a dedicated Weber charcoal is that they are $399 and up, and I don't doubt they are worth every penny, but after tax and some accessories it goes over our original budget.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »
I am 100% with Mike (muebe) on this one.  Basic gasser and a Weber Kettle.  I wish I could go back and do that now instead of all the money I spent on other grills.

But if you do get one we are  interested in your opinion of it.
 I am especially interested in a follow up of its condition after the first year when the warranty runs out.  That is where CB feel horribly short with me.

I will say the SRG and TBE both are workhorses and solid cookers . 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I have heard that, this apparently is an upgraded version of the first hybrid grill they tried out. Webers look great, the only thing stopping me on a dedicated Weber charcoal is that they are $399 and up, and I don't doubt they are worth every penny, but after tax and some accessories it goes over our original budget.
A Weber Premium is 149.00 and an excellent grill.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_624976-505-14402001___?productId=50330259&pl=1&Ntt=weber+charcoal+grills

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
ICE9, I don't know anything specific about this grill but generally speaking dual purpose grills seem to leave a bit to be desired on quality. This may be different.  Do your homework!  Good luck to you in your search!

Char-Broil quality has been sinking for a while and this cooker just screams "compromise".  For your budget you can get a standard Weber kettle and a small gasser and have enough left to put GrillGrates on the gasser (huge improvement).

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
I am with the Weber group! A small gas grill like the SRG would be an ideal set up for you.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ICE9

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
That Weber charcoal looks pretty gosh darn nice, do you guys have any advice on what coals to buy? Also if I do go that route and get the Weber premium and a gasser, I think I did see a rather nifty small propane grill, but I can't remember the brand. I am half tempted to get the gas2coal for the sake of reviewing it lol, but I just wish it was under the circumstances of being on like their Loop rewards program instead of my spending the cash.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
 Charcoal could be a big topic... ;)
 Kingford, Stubbs and Cowboy all will do the trick. Its cheap enough you can form your own opinion on which one and type you like the best.
 The Weber kettle is the best purchase I have made in a LONG time.   

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
I agree if you go charcoal get weber kettle, I've even seen basic ones at HD for $99

You might be able to find a used Weber gasser on craiglist.  I picked one up for under $100, and slowly made some upgrades like replacing the burner tubes, grill grates (as hub mentioned), and I just replaced the manifold.  All said and done, after 7 months I put in less than $350 and the grill works like a charm for one that was new pre 2000. 

As for coals, I like Stubbs.  Can't go wrong with Kingsford, especially when they have the 2-20lbs(Now 18.6lbs) bags for $10.  Lump or all natural charcoal burns a little hotter.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ICE9

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
I'm sure it could haha, but for example why is this more expensive? http://www.lowes.com/pd_600134-59264-BTAL48_1z0wejb__?productId=50175491&pl=1

And when you say all natural do you mean the wood or like a natural briquette? I have never seen or cooked over charcoal wood before.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
Those are for electric smokers.  All natural can be burnt pieces of wood or briquettes that are formed without binders.  There is a small learning curve when using charcoal because the only way to control the heat is with the lid or moving the meat to indirect heat.  Flavor is another ball game compared to gas.  As (I believe it is)The Smoke says "there is something primal about cooking over wood(charcoal)"

Standard Kingsford:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_645223-308-4460031239_1z0wejb__?productId=50330065&pl=1

Cowboy Lump Hardwood (all natural):
http://www.lowes.com/pd_754692-37442-15610_1z0wejb__?productId=999979174&pl=1

Lump hard wood varies in shape where briquettes are uniform in shape size, and weight.

Stubbs All Natural:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_297978-37442-00754087710153___

To the charcoal you can add wood chips for extra flavor, or Kingsford has wood blended in to some of their briquettes like this one with apple.  I have seen hickory and mesquite flavors as well.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_694735-308-4460031459_1z0wejb__?productId=999979128&pl=1
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759