Author Topic: Some funny (to me) observations  (Read 4841 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Some funny (to me) observations
« Reply #-1 on: April 02, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
I haven't had time to do any cool cooks - 2nd job etc. so just doing cooks for regular meals. But have been thinking about what I will do when I actually get home before 10pm. Also made me think about what my family likes and doesn't.

When I met my future wife she only liked pizza (with about 700 toppings), steak (well done), potatoes (twice baked with everything in the kitchen on them), mushy veg (if she HAD to eat veg), salad drowned in Ranch dressing, fettucini alfredo, and copious amounts of beer. I am not complaining - I knew what I was getting into. However, it was my goal (when we were just getting to know each other) to expand those horizons. I decided to start with mushrooms. YIKES, that took more time than you can imagine...

So, fast forward to today. She loves sauteed mushrooms in red wine sauce. Steaks are rare to medium rare.  Grilled asparagus. Grilled / sauteed onions. Garlic. Homemade pasta. Shrimp - any which way. Crab - any which way. Lobster - NO! Chicken wings - not TOO spicy (see Taco Bell comment.) Brats - grilled and drowned in beer (no peppers though... :( ) Thai Pad, Lo Mein, Sweet & Sour Pork, Hot & Sour Soup, Egg Fu Yung.

So, some really good progress...

But....

She will NOT eat fresh or frozen beans - only mushy canned beans. She will not eat fresh or frozen peas (SHUSH muebe & Pappy!)

Taco Bell (with no sauce) is SPICY!

Fresh fish other than walleye - no!

Interesting things like capers - no!

Lettuce other than iceberg - no!

Radishes, etc. no!

BUT - she likes smelt fries (I grew up in North Dakota - smelt was bait for big northerns and muskies - not people food!)
Lutefisk - seriously? If you like lutefisk how can you NOT like anything else? Even Andrew Zimmern is not a fan of lutefisk!

Do not get me wrong - I love her dearly... but I continue to try to re-shape (ok, adapt to) her tastes...  ;D ;D ;D

The good news - our youngest daughter (now 16) was with us in Thailand 6 years ago. She kept up with me - we had goat head soup, silk worms live and preserved, fresh water shrimp (alive) on lettuce with lime juice, and barbecued rat. This is MY kid!

Bad news - oldest daughter - still likes her steak well done (might be the milk man????) The good part of that, I can buy the cheap steak for her!

Just a fun observation of tastes... it's all good!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:04:21 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Some funny (to me) observations
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
Your wife only eats walleye fish?. There is so much good tasting fish out there.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:09:06 AM »
Sparky = yeah I KNOW! My kids and I have trout (store and fresh caught) steelhead - the same, salmon, cod, swordfish, on and on - I love fresh or even fresh frozen fish. Oh boy, give me some Mahi Mahi! I could happily live on fish! So do my kids. Oh well... Heck I love crappies, bluegills sunfish, northerns, etc - fish is good! My kids usually go along.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:14:34 AM »
My wife has her own very particular tastes... Please do NOT interpret my comments as criticism. We ALL have our own tastes. I only bring this up because she LIKES lutefisk, but doesn't like things that actually taste good (ok MY bias... :) )
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:23:19 AM »
Oh well, what can you expect from a member of the gender that mostly thinks tofu and sprouts are gourmet fare?

... and then there's Kimmie (Sorry, Tommy, but it begged to be said).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muralboy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 04:10:22 AM »
Well look at the progress that was made. Pretty good huh. I know some people, who even with encouragement, refuse to venture outside of an extremely narrow menu.  I mean like 5 items.

Kudos to your wife, and to your guidance.

And DANG!  Rat meat. Your daughter rocks!
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
Doc, you had your work cut out for you.  Very nicely done.  I have had a similar experience with my wife.  She now seats most of the things I like.  She still doesn't like most veggies or fish that might have little bones in it.  Growing up a Catholic, she thought the best fish in the world was fish sticks!  I had a Caesar salad in Anchorage with halibut bites in it.  My mistake was talking her into "trying just one". I spent the rest of dinner trying to keep her from stealing my halibut bites.  Oh, the price we pay to be good husbands.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
David I heard something rather interesting on this subject several years ago. It was while I was watching Lidia, the Italian chef on PBS. She reflected on tastes, smells, and food that children like. I always thought kids liked something or didn't because of individuality. She went on further to state that in homes where families cook (rather than zap in the microwave or get take-out), children are exposed to an array of smells as they grow up, even while not eating the food yet. This starts in infants.These smells become part of their DNA, so as they get old enough to try a new food to them, it is already familiar. I grew up like this, my Italian side were all huge cooks, and I seemed to not have distastes for any food my family prepared. In fact when I was a young boy my father worked swing shift, and when he was on days he would make his breakfast at 4:30 am. It ALWAYS was bacon, eggs, and fresh brewed coffee. In my sleep I could smell those smells permeating throughout the house. And to this day those smells of bacon, eggs and coffee are extremely comforting.....because they ALWAYS were.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »
Well, well, well, David....
I was wondering if we would ever hear from you again.
I can't remember the last time you posted - did I just skip them somehow?

This is a great post.

Deb is willing to try anything I cook and usually likes it - I stay away from heads and organs along with anything that crawls or slithers.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
I would say you done pretty good David! Nancy and I are going on 50 years now and I never have got her trained! For one thing I don't think she realizes yet that I am the Boss! :) and I have never got her trained to like beans! About the only time she will eat beans is in chili or some of the soups I have made. If it wasn't for that I would have beans some way every week. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 10:02:11 AM »
It's funny how we are..at our house it's toast with jelly for my 3 year old Maci..anyone has toast, she is on it..she will even get out of bed for toast..go figure.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Some funny (to me) observations
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
You are doing great sir. We almost didn't get married due to her need for ketchup on the hash Browns I just made her. I mean wrong is wrong......right?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
Oh well, what can you expect from a member of the gender that mostly thinks tofu and sprouts are gourmet fare?

:D :D :D  She does like smoked tofu  ???, burnt steaks  ??? and beer    well one of the three I can see  ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »

:D :D :D  She does like smoked tofu  ???, burnt steaks  ??? and beer    well one of the three I can see  ;) ;) ;)

Its funny I like Prime Rib very rare or very well done.; So I can eat at your house anytime LOL
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Well, well, well, David....
I was wondering if we would ever hear from you again.
I can't remember the last time you posted - did I just skip them somehow?

This is a great post.

Deb is willing to try anything I cook and usually likes it - I stay away from heads and organs along with anything that crawls or slithers.

I am with you on this one.   There is Yuk in my book
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill